Pre/PBP/Post: PLAYOFFS: Houston Dynamo v. Kansas City, Sunday, Nov. 4

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 1, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2012.
  1. Dynamo win

20 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Dynamo tie

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Dynamo lose

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. It's Noodle Time, all the time!

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Vermes don't want Dom n our boys.
    Real talk.

2. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I'm kind of hoping Vermes pulls a Bravo again and benches one of their better players just because.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  3. DYNAMO_WARRIOR

Oct 31, 2006
    HOUSTON
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about bench Bravo and Kamara

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly true. We have had our warmest year in record in KC and we have yet to play a game at home where it has even been cool. It was even in the 70s for our March home opener. I think it has been in the 70s and 80s for about every game so far. Even our season finale last week was in the 70s at kickoff. It's even in the 70s right now which is highly unusual for us this time of year. Knowing our weather, it will be snowing next Wednesday for the game.

Should be an interesting series. I could see this thing ending 1-0 or 2-1.

5. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He thinks temperatures in the 70s is warm. How precious. I'm only kidding of course, but the temps 70s is jacket weather in Houston.

cfig, ra azua and Levy2k6 repped this.
  6. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of years we would have been in beanies and coats the last couple of games with players wearing gloves. If we had been experiencing that, it might supply some kind of advantage for you. But, I dont think our guys have played a cold or even cool weather game this year.

Jackets at 70? Come on, now. That's swimming weather! ;)

cfig, ImaPuppy and El Naranja repped this.
  7. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Yeah I don't think weather is going to be much of a factor for either team this time around :)

8. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cold was no help to the Fire Wednesday. I don't think weather really affects anyone in the playoffs.

9. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm serious. The low was like 70 today and there were people wearing jackets to work.

10. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wearing a jacket right now!

11. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    “The fans talk a lot about how they want us to deliver, but we need them to deliver and come on Sunday and put their butts in the seats. We want 22,000 screaming, loud fans in the stadium. If you have your tickets come because we need all the support we can get.”
    -Brad Davis

Ain't it so true.

jvilla07 and anderson repped this.
  12. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised he didn't make a noodle time reference.... Must have been edited out.

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did that quote come from?

14. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

Dynamo website on the front page has an article about home field advantage.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of sounds scripted by the PR department.

JC507 repped this.
  17. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they would sell SRO tickets to compensate for people with STs that don't show up. Of course, that is in the event that they sell out, which might be tough. But I just hate these sell outs with lots of empty seats. Also, I wish they would encourage people to come to the stadium to try to buy tickets rather than just posting a "sold out" notice on the Internet. Maybe the people that are trying to resell their tix online could send them to a broker who could sell them for cash money near the stadium.

DNez2001 repped this.
  18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure this game will sell out. Too short a window to sell the game and with uncertainty as to what the date would be (Wed vs. Sun) for the first game, I'm sure some folks held off. Hell, I can't go and I sure would not have bought the tickets knowing the game was Sunday at 2:30 and take a loss on selling them or just giving them away. But the auto-charge for a renewal got me. Probably got others too.

I suspect (and I know troutseth disagrees with me on this) that you'll actually have more no-shows than you think because folks like me and others who bought tickets or got auto-charged can't go - or would rather watch the Texans on TV. Lot of tickets on StubHub for a game with a short window. And I know Glenn Davis will say the soccer clubs should all take the day off and cancel all games but that isn't practical.

Blame the league or ESPN or NBC for this one. I'm sure LA would have thrown a fit if they had been scheduled for a Thursday night-Sunday afternoon game so whoever drew the Wednesday wildcard game was getting this slot.

The problem for the Dynamo is one of perception, not economics. Most of the sideline seats are sold out as STH (for most games) but you can't sell those seats twice by going with SRO tickets as there are probably code and/or consumer policy issues with that. Astros used to sell SRO tickets.

Frankly, the Dynamo probably could take back tickets from STHs for most sideline seats and resell them but they have a pretty limited ticket exchange or credit policy and don't want to take the risk on selling seats twice when other in the endzone are still available.

19. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope if you're not using your tickets that you find somebody to take them. There are a lot of people that would love to go to the game but can't afford the price of the tickets, even though they are a comparative bargain. If you can't sell them, find someone like that and let them go. I want the stadium full, regardless of excuses.

metroag and anderson repped this.
  20. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Will Bruin played for U. of Indiana so e probably felt right at home.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's Indiana University, not the other way around. The scum. And it's hot down there in southern Indiana. Practically Dixie.

(BTW, I forgave Bruin in person the first time I met him and told him the past was the past. He forgave me for being a Boilermaker.)

El Naranja repped this.
  22. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    no-the Scum play in Washington.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tickets are looking like a giveaway at this point. Although the giveaway can be equally as challenging on short notice and frankly many of the usual candidates would rather watch the Texans on TV.

24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think that the Dynamo got their ticket prices versus demand wrong initially, and lost a good amount of fans this season. There used to be a ton of families going to the games the last few years, but I am not seeing them show up anymore. Marketing their product better, should be a top priority for the FO. The price has probably ran off the larger families but perhaps the college age crowd could be targeted.

25. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I am really surprised they haven't tried harder for this demographic ala Seattle. It's the cool hip place to be, etc.