Pre/PBP/Post: PLAYOFFS: Houston Dynamo @ Kansas City, Wednesday, Nov. 7

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2012.
  1. Dynamo advance

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Dynamo fail to advance

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Noodle Time goes on another road trip!

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    Listen fantastic win and remember i gave props to CA over the weekend but come on "corey did well defensively" Just ran back through the first half he gave the ball away 11 times 3 of those passes were under 10 yards, just what game were you watching?

AH and BB were immense and KS did ok but SKC just came down our right constantly .. i wonder why that would be?

2. Transatlantic

Transatlantic Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Not the game I wanted, but I'll take the result.

3. Transatlantic

Transatlantic Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    EB looked good. :thumbsup:

jvilla07 and brahmafutbol repped this.
  4. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    rey were you happy with the performance tonight?

a half decent team that could finish would have buried us so not to sure i agree with you we dodged a bullet more than went out and won the game why not at least try to attcak and impose yourself rather than letting the game come to you

If you listen to EROb you will hear he thinks we were very fortunate

5. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Because Kandji was statue!

6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were fortunate tonight but we defended well. I don't think you could call SKC a "half decent team."

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    You're are correct. I have 4 pages of show notes and 99% is negative towards the Dynamo, but in the end what matters is the Dynamo now have 5 conference finals in 7 years of existence. In soccer terms that's a world class manager regardless of whether its smarts or dumb luck (or both).

8. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I was thinking. Every call and non-call SKC players mobbed the ref and Vermes was constantly whining.

Did anybody else notice the time the ref called a free kick for the Dynamo near the KC goal and their goalie dropped to the ground and pounded the ground in a little hissy fit. I'm so glad my team doesn't do that.

Dynamo_Forever and Heft repped this.
  9. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Like I said in the other thread he(PV) won't last in the CCL odds are he is thrown out every game.

10. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Come out to plaaaaaaayyyyaaaaaaayyy!

Caddman and JC507 repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team slogan needs to be changed from Forever Orange to "We Always Win Streetfights".

If you had told me all of the above happened and we got out of there advancing in regulation, I would have asked you if Abe Thompson was playing for SKC tonite.

SKC is a very big group of whiners, Vermes is an absurd joke with his lobbying.

Grimmjow316, CeltTexan and jvilla07 repped this.
  12. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I was very disappointed with kandji's play - he hurt us as much as helped us... it did look like espinoza rolled his toothpick leg and ankle. Maybe that played a factor.

OTH - I agree that Corey didn''t play great the second half. I think he was gassed. KC was trying to get Corey matched up against Kei on diagonal back post crosses in the first half but I think he held his own. The second half he struggled.

KC has been built into an exciting team but they force the play and rush their chances so much that they don't have any guile or control - just wild scrambling, crosses, headers, shots. almost like hockey.

The Dynamo had the second highest avg time of game posession in the league for the season. It is shocking that a team controlled 70% of the possesion on us. Hell of an effort by KC.

But we have 'Beast Mode' Boswell, 'Hold on' Hinault!, and Tally 'SnatchMo' Hall :)

Props to Boniek, Moffat, and Camargo who really helped at the end.

Ice it down boys we have to kick some tail on Sunday!

13. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would've been a fascinating game to watch were it called like an actual soccer game, I have to wonder how tactics might've changed. Despite KC's complaints there was a lot of very physical play on both sides of the ball.

We caught a bit of luck at the end but few refs are going to call a penalty in stoppage of an elimination game, particularly in a game where I'm not quite sure what a penalty even was.

I'll take it. Dale Dynamo!

JC507 repped this.
  14. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Everyone battled tonight and I'm thrilled with the result. One person really standing out to me has been Brad Davis. He has covered more ground playing defense in the last three games than I can ever recall seeing him play. He looks really driven out there.

CeltTexan repped this.
  15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several Dynamo players looked noticeably tired at the end, moreso than you would even expect with only 30% of possession. Davis looked tired early on. Some more guys racked up card

I don't think it was our strategy to sit back and absorb so much. As Dom said post game, we just kept passing the ball to the other team. I don't think you would want to attempt our accidental strategy tonite.

The extra day off certainly helps us, and since the opponent has one less day of rest AND a little more travel, it's an added bonus. But Sunday could be a real slog, that's our 4th game in 12 days, all intense. The NY-DC shenanigans tonite definitely help us.

Carr has a bad left hammy, got to think he may be out sunday

DNez2001 repped this.
  16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Losing the ball after gaining possession is not DEFENSIVE work. Winning the ball in the first place and stopping their attack, which he did quite well, is defensive work.

What exactly were you reading?

17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Also, the game is pushed back to Sunday, which is huge for our boys. They will get an extra day of well needed rest.

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Big blow for sure, but I think we can cope if we switch some things around. Gonna be Kandji on the left I guess.

19. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we were fortunate to hold on. Three playoff intensity games in eight days. The Dynamo were absolutely gassed tonight. Nothing at all in the tank. Exactly as I have worried the playoff congestion caught up with the team.

I am very happy with the performance because the team, battling fatigue, never stopped fighting and battled to the result they needed.

You can choose to believe that fatigue and home field advantage don't matter and expect a top drawer performance every game no matter the circumstances. Is that really realistic?

20. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm convinced the Dynamo wanted more possession and wanted to attack more but just could not find the legs for it, and SKC played tremendously denying them at every step.

You not playing Xbox where you and you alone define your performance. Your playing real live opponents who want to win and know how to win.

jvilla07 repped this.
  21. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to compliment SKC fans on their boards. Unlike other team's BS fans after a loss, they aren't whining about the ref or the Dynamo's style of play. They didn't do that last game either. Strangely, the attitude doesn't carry over to the players or the coach.

jvilla07 and Transatlantic repped this.
  23. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    KC fans can man up because they know they have a quality team, unlike Dallas. Houston has just had their number lately and it's good for us and bad for them.

24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe Klansas City is maturing. No xenophobic chants at Livestrong?

25. DNez2001

DNez2001 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston 'burb
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, I think we may have to make some major subs for the Sunday game. It will be possible to give some up to 10 days off before an away game next weekend. I can see a wholesale change up top, such as Kanji-Ching/Weaver to start. I think we are going to have to give the midfield a break as well, but Dom knows best here, and I bet they would have to drag most off kicking and screaming. I could see Barnes getting a start on Sunday as well, perhaps for Moffit. The backline will need to gut it out - we need the D desperately. A one goal result at home would be fantastic IMHO.