Pre/PBP/Post: Philadelphia v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, April 19

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Result?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2014.
  1. Dynamo win

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Dynamo tie

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Dynamo lose

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. OK, a burrito was the wrong choice for road games. Cheesesteaks for lunch on Saturday!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    I get a strong sense that Lopez is as good as gone.

JC507 repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom's recovery from 2010 and the annual playoff runs has made me no longer question as much as I used to. But during yesterday's game, I got a weird feeling that Dom ends up with one of these expansion teams at some point. Maybe not the first coach, but the second one. Getting a vibe that he feels bored.

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I get a different vibe. I get the feeling that they're going to sell the franchise and I don't want to make any big moves until they do. We are kind of stuck in limbo until they get it figured out.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sense we've been in a state of limbo for a number of years with the split ownership - but that it hasn't worked out bad because the AEG folks leave Dom alone and the Golden Boy/Brenner group is too cheap to open up purse strings so we just execute Dom's plan. Did I always like AEG/Leiweike giving the Galaxy all of the DP money and attention? No. Am I grateful that AEG ponied up for a new stadium? Yes. I'd argue that for the last 8 years, we've had a better situation because we don't have a rash owner.

Dynamo is really the only team in MLS that has gone 8 years with only one bad season. We bottomed out and sort of bounced back all in one year. Law of averages and MLS math says we are due for another season like that this one or next.

Ownership has invested in the Dash franchise which probably was lower risk than it seemed because we have the stadium vacant for most of those dates and the extra stadium revenue offsets some of the team loss.

Hey, for me, I'm just thankful I have Easter to celebrate and eat a big 'ol fat ham in a few hours!!

ChrizG13, brahmafutbol and JC507 repped this.
  5. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think other teams know that he is the only danger going forward. When the whole creative part of the attack is through one player then as a defense you collapse on that player. Somebody else in the Dynamo needs to stand up and create.

6. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Bruin's girlfriend makes an appearance on BigSoccer.

Sorry you don't like my opinion, but the truth hurts.

Westside Cosmo and JC507 repped this.
  7. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year we had Creavalle and Rico in the middle and it was working, so that's what I'd like to see again, with Davis and Boniek outside. But with Sarkodie's red I'm assuming Creavalle will start for him and we'll the same lineup as yesterday's.

Btw, we have almost a 0% shot at NYRB Wednesday the way we've been playing and with the lineup we've been playing. I'm just hoping we score a goal (which I doubt we will), otherwise we would have more goals in the first game than in the following six games combined.

Heft repped this.
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contestant: "Alex, give me Dynamo Big Soccer fans for $100"
    Alex: "this phrase has been desired to be said to Westside Cosmo more than any other poster"

Constestant: "What is "it makes me ashamed to share a fan base with you"

CORRECT!!!!

JC507 and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  9. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Is that ANOTHER Yellow Card you received? What did you do this time? I don't recall any especially egregious bombs lately?

JC507 repped this.
  10. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

good question-my vote is Ownby but I doubt that happens. I wouldn't be surprised to Warren C. over there on that side.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #111 Westside Cosmo, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    No idea. Don't think they tell you anymore. Probably a ref comment. The ref nazi brigade doesn't like any negative comments, since most of them are like Star Trek fans who never have had a date.

The banter here is good but then you have morons like Dan Loney (remember him from his Die Hard 3 ultimatum against the Dynamo for some gay slur last year on twitter) putting out some absurd stuff like this, which while there is some angle to it is one of silliest things posted this year. Maybe we can go back to the 1980s England football for the glory days of hooliganism!!!

https://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/dan...english-premier-league-was-a-disastrous-idea/

Which is why I don't take any cards seriously here

12. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Meanwhile, the Dash score 3... IN A HALF. :D:whistling:

metroag, AcetheTigah, JC507 and 2 others repped this.
  13. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, this is a whole new WSC... I like him.

14. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I agree with you, we need to put Creavalle and Rico in the middle because even though the Boni experiment was a good idea it has not worked. He's been an honest player and isn't prone to embellish or exagerrate some of the fouls he's suffered and unfortunately I don't know what else he could do to get the calls that are being missed. It's thrown his game off. Warren and Rico are athletic freaks that help us dominate the middle of the park. We will get back to playing wide and maybe create more offense.

Move Boni to the outside and use Casio and Driver on the left until Brad gets back. Use Ownby out at right back now and see how that works. If it doesn't, try Arena there he played outside back in college.

One thing for sure after watching this game is that our service into the box (from anyone) is poor. Even Philly had much more dangerous crosses into the box than we did.

JC507 repped this.
  15. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I like Barnes' work to try to get in behind and stretch defenses / diagonal runs mainly in the first half. Bruin is the chief beneficiary of that work but he doesn't have the pace and technical skill to do the same for Giles.

Like some of you, I also have the frustration with Bruin but Barnes is not scoring either. At least Bru got a good shot off that hit the post.

JC507 repped this.
  16. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, forgot to change accounts before posting that.

brahmafutbol repped this.
  17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm not fond of such a defensive alignment in the center of the pitch, and I think you'll find that unlike last year, the prevalence of teams playing with 5 in the midfield will cause this lineup to look even worse than the one we are currently using.

As for right back, I'm surprised that what is probably the best solution hasn't been mentioned. Taylor was one of the best players for the Dynamo in 2012, playing mainly as right back until Cameron moved to Stoke City. I'd push Taylor out to the right and let Cochran get another start in the middle. Results in probably the strongest back line the Dynamo can offer with Sarkodie unavailable and you get the added bonus of seeing how Horst and Cochran work together in the middle.

Barrelhead repped this.
  18. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX

Even if you are right we need to try something different otherwise we can't expect different results for the team or from Boniek and he is our best creative player.

Good point - Taylor would be good on the right. My worry is that he is too slow and would be prone to committing fouls to compensate. Cochrane is still too green for me. I think Arena deserves a shot at RB or LB. Ownby has the pace butI don't know if he has enough physical bite - he is best suited at RM IMO.

19. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us all hope that Rico doesn't get an injury before then....that'd make life very complicated.

20. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

I can't recall a single game when Taylor played RB for Houston. He's played LB and potentially in a three man backline, but I do not recall a single game where he played RB.

JC507 repped this.
  21. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Creavalle is the obvious fill-in on the right for Sarkodie. Arena has just played CB for PIT, what indication is there he can play LB or RB? It's a Wednesday game. There is little time to mix things up so dramatically IMHO.

TX Bill repped this.
  22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I can't fathom the meltdown you guys are having after losing a single home game and two road games and tying a third road game. We weren't as great as everyone was making us out when we won two home games and we aren't as terrible as everyone is making us out now.

Why is everyone hating on Dom? ......7/8 years in the playoffs with 2 Championships, 2 MLS Cup losses (Conference Championships), and two conference finals. Only Arena and Kreis have come close to that record over that time period. If Houston legitimately lost every single game from this point forward in 2014 --- he should still be given another year next year to right the ship. That's how good of a track record he has in comparison to his counterparts.

23. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    My only main point is that despite what people think of Bruin, Kinnear considers him an untouchable, a bona fide starter always whether he scores or not.

24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    He played left back in college

25. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Gotcha. I just don't think they recall him and start him at RB when they have Creavalle. It's not like he has a plethora of MLS minutes (compare to Creavalle) and he also played a full 90 on Saturday so its not like he's better rested.