Pre/PBP/Post: Philadelphia v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, April 19

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Result?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2014.
  1. Dynamo win

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Dynamo tie

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Dynamo lose

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. OK, a burrito was the wrong choice for road games. Cheesesteaks for lunch on Saturday!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #FireSchaub

El Naranja, 7seven7, Levy2k6 and 2 others repped this.
  2. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Like I said.

These two teams could play another 270 minute and nobody is going to score. Wenger is awful, Bruin is awful. Barnes plays well with the ball at his feet but looks completely bereft of confidence at the moment where it comes to scoring. He is playing like a midfielder right now.

Whether it is dropping Bruin or Barnes, I'd really like to see Cummings start on Wednesday just to see something different.

Horst is an absolute monster, though.

3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our defense/keeper has done a decent enough job so far this year. Our attacking side of the game is woeful.

Hydro and JC507 repped this.
  4. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    I see the hate of Bruin has returned, but here's the thing: Kinnear LOVES him and will NOT, like NEVER EVER bench the guy, period. Why do y'all think Kinnear believes Bruin is 100% untouchable? Bruin could not score in 20 games straight and he will still start LOL.

ChrizG13 and Hydro repped this.
  5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That is pretty much true of any regular starter, though. It is difficult to crack a Kinnear lineup regularly, but once there it seems to be even harder to lose your spot.

Hydro repped this.
  6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We could easily be undefeated this season. Since the New England goal, nearly every goal we have conceded has been due to a defensive error rather than they opposition creating. The only created goals were post red card against FC Dallas, but there again there would not have been a red card if not for a really poor pass by Taylor.

7. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I think Bruin must have naked pictures of Dom with one of the Kardashian sisters or something.

I realize it's MLS and the league is not overflowing with quality strikers. But he had an entire crap season last year and aside from his opening night orgasm he has been crap in every game since. That stuff about "he works hard" doesn't fly anymore. I'm sure Matt Schaub worked hard too.

Hydro, 7seven7 and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The thing with Bruin is that when he isn't scoring he is pretty useless. He offers very little else. On top of that, he is a liability from a defensive standpoint on set pieces. Opponents best scoring opportunities on set pieces have come through going after Bruin. The near goal by Okugo on a corner kick last night? Okugo was Bruin's man.

Hydro, JC507, 7seven7 and 3 others repped this.
  9. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I don't think our defense has done as decent as some have stated we have just been lucky that in the first two games the opposition didn't have capable finishers now in this slump we have paid for those same mistakes that we got away with and also have had some bad luck as well. This Philly game was reminiscent of the first two were we a lot of luck to leave without being scored on and to no ones surprised we fail to punish in the same regard.

So far Rico feels to be the only guy to always show up, I mean I know we all love Boniek but he has played somewhat timid as of late, I wonder if this is fear of being injured before the WC is just me speculating. Now I bring this up because in the last couple games he has been fouled hard worthy of yellows but as we all know MLS refs suck balls and don't punish this (I miss the scabs) after that happens he tends to not have the same impact that we are used to seeing from him. So far I feel Dom has to adjust I can't understand how in our last MLS Cup finals appearance he changed the scheme (yes he still used the 4-4-2) but so far he has been stubborn this time around when clearly it isn't working. Also can we get a striker that hasn't had a knee injury please... I know that is an impossible task but it's a trend I'm not a fan of.

Hydro, JC507 and Soccergodlss repped this.
  10. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    We don't have the players to make any significant changes. Driver has been playing and not doing anything. Cascio has been injured but when playing the past few weeks hasn't accomplished much. There isn't anyone on the roster outside of Omar who is really an offensive threat. I agree with your point that something's gotta change. But I'm not seeing any really good options for doing it.

11. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our defense isn't without its faults, but we scored more in the first game(4) than the next 5 games combined (3). And I think a lot of the goals against have to do with our poor ability to put serious pressure on the offensive end. When you waste chances, more often than not, you are punished on the other side of the ball. Yesterday was better than most of the other games in creating chances, but there were still very few that were actually dangerous. When you aren't dangerous on one end, the other team can afford to put more numbers forward on your own end of the field. Our defense can definitely improve, but especially without Davis we look highly below average offensively.

12. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's gonna replace Sarkodie? Asking for my fantasy team :)

Levy2k6 repped this.
  13. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    puke

one more time for those that haven't been paying attention for years.....

stumbledore sucks

Rico = MOTM

if Dom cared even a little bit about my soul, he would play Cummings and Sherrod up top and Horst/Cochran in back.

play the rookies and lets play horrible with them instead of playing horrible with vets.

and let's really really hope the OBG is playing with less impact because he is saving himself for the world cup and not because the league has figured him out now that they have tape on him

Dynamo_Forever and JC507 repped this.
  14. DynamoHum

DynamoHum Member

Jul 4, 2008
    That's a low bred thing to say.

It makes me ashamed to share a fan base with you.

15. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IMDB the list of movies Hanks has done. consider his range and mastery of genres and realize no one matches his depth or his skill. From Philadelphia to Big. From Bosom Buddies to Saving Private Ryan. From Forrest Gump to Castaway. From narrating the Pacific series to the voice work in Toy Story. From Sleepless in Seattle to League of their own, to Apollo 13, to the Terminal, to Splash to etc etc etc. From 1980 til now. No one is better.

ps
    man its great to talk about something else other than below average soccer!

16. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    In any case, the fanbase is going apes*** because the forwards are not scoring (OK, because Bruin is not scoring), yet it's useless to spend any energy and going mad, since the coaching staff is 100% set and (maybe just maybe) don't give a rat's derriere about the fans opinions ;):whistling::p

Hydro repped this.
  17. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh grow up. When players play bad you can't expect everyone to just lie and say they're great for your sake.

18. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    If by figuring out you mean... "Let's hack the crap out of him because the refs won't stop it." Then yeah I guess the have figured him out. So far that has been the tale this season When he starts getting into a rhythm or ready to let lose the hack him down and refs don't step in remember the SKC game. I think you combine that with the WC looming mentally that has to affect you.

7seven7 repped this.
  19. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have two words for you: American Beauty. A movie full of great performances, and Mr. Spacey established himself as a giant movie star.

And if you forgive the fake accent, House of Cards is on Netflix, ready for binge watching.:geek:

20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is the part that I hate about talking to people about sports. Or politics. If you criticize a player, you are a bad fan. People try to teach you how to be a "true fan" and some even offer to introduce you to their knuckles because "you are bad fan and you don't deserve to be called a supporter"

This is why I don't listen to Dynamo radio shows, TV shows, or read anything other than BigSoccer: Everybody wants to kiss up to Dom and make sure they are invited to Canetti's Christmas party, so it's all marshmallows and flowers and rainbows. Here I can read opinions from real fans, from different angles.

@DynamoHum , I respect your passion, but you may have to embrace the DIVERSITY that this board brings if you want to hang out around other Dynamo supporters this year. Look around you, it's not like there are too many people posting here. People are getting tired! May I suggest? If you disagree with @Dynamo_Forever , then explain to him why you see life in a different way.

ChrizG13, 7seven7, JC507 and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yup, I'm afraid you are correct. I can see that Boniek does not want to get injured so may be subconsciously (?) lowering his intensity. Going to Brazil must be his No. 1 dream and his main goal this year. He doesn't have anything to prove anymore, he has a guaranteed spot in the Honduran team. If he gets injured, the dream may be over.

Brad Davis, on the other hand, he's still hoping to have a great performance that will book his trip to Brazil.

JC507 repped this.
  22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not entirely true. The blogs (Dynamo Theory and House of Houston) are plenty critical when warranted. I can say for my part at House of Houston that this season I have regularly gone after Bruin, Taylor, Driver and in the past couple of weeks have started to go after Dom as well.

On our Generation Orange podcast, if we were not criticizing performance and tactics then I am not sure we would have much to talk about.

We are gearing up shortly to have a discussion on the tactical styles of Kinnear and Waldrum. Was doing a post practice interview with Waldrum this week and Ortiz was there. Ortiz asked Waldrum whether he was a defensive minded or offensive minded coach, noting that Kinnear is a defensive minded coach.

Without hesitation Waldrum said he was an offensive minded coach and went on to say that he'd rather win 4-2 than 1-0. I guarantee you that Dom would prefer a 1-0 win. I loved that and it is part of the reason I am a big Waldrum fan. Love the attractive style of play he is implementing.

More and more, fans who are watching both the Dynamo and the Dash are going to start wondering why it is that an expansion team can play attractive and entertaining soccer while the Dynamo are predictable and, dare I say it, boring.

JC507, Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.
  23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Boniek has always looked better on the right. He nor Davis are the CM that we need. Bring on Lopez, and Rico in the center, and let Boniek, and Brad play in their favored positions.

*rey* repped this.
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Lopez barely making the gameday roster, it seems unlikely he will make the jump into the starting 11. Davis & Boniek should only be in the wings, I agree.

On general fan criticism, I do like this board for the mix of well-meaning Kool-Aid drinkers and negative Downsiders. I stopped listening to Glenn Davis' show because his idea of "opinion" is to interrupt the callers who speak negatively and re-direct the topic. I understand he does get a check from the team in a way so I am empathetic.

JC507 and Heft repped this.
  25. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Yep, the Dynamo and Kinnear are VERY guarded against criticism; they are very overprotective and controlling of the press they get. Understandable from the business side. All corporations do that.

Kinnear will keep doing what he's doing so long as it works. The moment it REALLY stops working... oh my. This forum will explode.

He managed to overcome 2010. In the end though, as great as he has been... hey, at some point he will lose the fanbase if this continues.

It happens in all careers where the best pros may get stuck in what works, one day it stops working and then, well... all the previous greatness is forgotten (not fair but such is life).

Maybe Dom figures it out again like in mid 2011, though. I've implied it but I'll say it now:

Wait until Sherrod gets subbed in and scores on a header. That will turn things around. The moment we get a Brian Ching type of goal...