Pre/PBP/Post: New England v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, April 12

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 7, 2014.

?

Result?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2014.
  1. Dynamo win

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. New England? Again? I guess I can eat another burrito.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I got beaten down here on BS before the first game when I said I didn't think Boniek in the center was the answer. I stand by that opinion. He has less time and room to maneuver in the center. And he gets overly involved defensively.

Fiorentina lives! repped this.
  2. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He is getting swarmed in the midfield. He has worked hard, but every time he turns away from one defender there is another coming at him. For me, this is the concern. I'm not overly distraught that we have lost 3 in a row, but I am concerned that the league has evolved tactically and we are not keeping up.

Many MLS teams have implemented a 5-man midfield this season, mirroring the trend in Europe. Right now we are overmatched and overwhelmed in the midfield. We could not play through the midfield this weekend. Only way to get the ball forward was ineffective long balls or the instances where Barnes dropped deep to pick up the ball.

Problem with the latter was once Barnes (and sometimes Driver & Garcia) started moving forward with the ball, there was nobody to get it to.

Heft and CeltTexan repped this.
  3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was telling myself the same thing on Sat. DM.
    I'm a traditionalist, an old footy coach here in Texas and it is diamond 4-4-2 with a dedicated #10 and combative Stopper at #6.
    However, the 5 man midfield really has taken over the modern game and certainly in specific leagues like ours here in MLS.

4. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Interesting in that somehow the 5-man midfield NOW arrives in MLS...

... when teams in Europe have used it for YEARS NOW. The 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1 have been used in Spain for a DECADE.

Fiorentina uses a 3-5-2 quite a bit and they are 4th in Serie A.

5. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in other words this would be the Ideal Starting 11 if 4-5-1??:

Kofi - Taylor - Brunner - Corey

Clark - Warren (Carrasco)
    Boni Davis (Driver)
    Barnes (Cascio)

Bruin (Cummings)

If 3-5-2??:

Kofi - Brunner - Corey

Clark Warren (Carrasco)
    Boni Davis (Driver)
    Barnes (Cascio)

Bruin -Cummings (Sherrod, JJ)

6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You (inadvertently) highlight the problem the Dynamo have in a tactical switch. I'd like to go 4-2-3-1 or the Christmas tree (4-3-2-1).

However, who is that lone striker? Only guy on the roster who comes close to fitting the ideal characteristics of a lone striker is Sherrod. Somehow I don't see us handing over the reins to a rookie 2nd round draft pick.

3-5-2 could work and the Dynamo did play such a system in the pre-season twice. Worth a shot at home, don't know about on the road.

Why Brunner, though? Horst is twice the player Brunner is. Brunner is destined to be a lifelong MLS backup. Nice guy, but not strong, poor in the air, generally not a great defender.

JC507 repped this.
  7. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    In a 3-5-2 you need one or two mids who can span the whole field to have 4-5 in the back when the other team attacks. Creavalle would fit. The other, Clark?

Having Rico and Warren makes Houston a good candidate for a 4-2-3-1, but yes, Bruin wouldn't cut it as lone striker. Also, me thinks those three behind the striker have to be younger and faster than what we have.

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going a bit young in key areas but, (and fully fit)

-----------------Sherrod

----------Driver-----Cummings

---Davis---Warren C.---Rico---Boni

-----Cochran-----Horst------Kofi

------------------Deric

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  9. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    You are fired! You have Driver playing. What has he done in a year?

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He runs at people/makes off the ball runs that open up our attacking 1/3
    He takes on defenders.
    He finishes when given the look.
    Is he Ryan Giggs, no, do we have much options going forward, no. He plays within his game and looks to service balls into the area as much as possible. Which is Dom 101.

Hydro repped this.
  11. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    A 3-4-2-1? 3-2-4-1? Don't you mean having Cummings/Sherrod up top and having a 3-5-2?

12. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    BTW - did that tackle by Rico on Goncalves result in a yellow card? IMO it was a more dangerous tackle than Horst's that was deemed a red in the last game. No consistency or standards for expectations of players and fans.

Both yellow card fouls in my opinion but an argument could be made that Rico's was more violent and possibly worthy of a red.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  13. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like it ended up being yellow, but didnt happen immediately because the ref played advantage.

14. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way we can play 3 in the back. We dont have anyone in the center will wheels enough.

15. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw the tackle I immediately thought it would be a straight RED! It was pretty bad and if another player would of done that to somebody in Orange we would of been pissed.

In all honesty however knowing the way Rico plays he is usually pretty good at tackles - i'll say the turf had a little to do with the way he slid.

16. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    He takes on defenders and turns the ball over. Honestly, can someone point me to an assist he created in recent history?

I seem to recall him having a look at the penalty spot v. Dallas but missed it. When was the last goal he scored for Houston?

His last goal/assist came on May 8, 2013.

In that time he has gotten about 15 or 16 games worth of minutes - mostly as a starter.

I agree we don't have much options, but the sooner he sees pine the better for Houston IMHO -- ESPECIALLY if he starts on the right. Filling in when Brad is out --- fine. He may be the best option. But not anywhere else on the field or when Brad is starting.

17. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Cummings play more. I think he's an intelligent player that combines well with others even though his speed has declined. He won't light the world on fire, but its not like our other options are. I would be getting frustrated if I were him and watching from the bench every game. He's gotta be feeling like there is not much he can do to earn more time.

CeltTexan repped this.
  18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I feel the same about Alexander Lopez. Just throw him in there for a match or two. We need to see how he will do in league play. His last match, he had an assist, and looked decent.

*I understand, in Dom we trust. I just don't want to see this ugly, impotent football all season. New ideas if the old aren't working.

19. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to ask about Cummings. What is his deal? Is he 100% and can he go 75+? If so why isnt he?

20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #145 Hydro, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

@CeltTexan for President!!!

I admit that Driver is struggling this season. I also have to say he is playing at the level of Bruin, Taylor and arguably a few others.

Unless we go scouting to South America, all we will be able to find is our typical pool of players:
    • recycled old Dynamo,
    • broken down ones that other teams dont want,
    • overhyped bad experiments who fail miserably when they arrive and
    • rare rare bargains.
    After overspending on MLS greatest star Alex Lopez, i suspect we wont be going back to S America any time soon. Instead, we will see Mulrooney, Cochran, Ngwenya and Mullan come back to our team one day.

So, we are stuck with players with limited abilities like ______ (insert name of your least favorite player here)

Im not asking for the team to win every game, im not asking to win La Copa every year, but im demanding the Dynamo FO, owners and whoever the F* manages this team to realize that we have needed better forwards for a long time. They should watch the Galaxy vs Dynamo 2011 MLS final over and over and over and over and over again to remember that its been a long time since we have been needing forwards. Toothless attack.

We have the right to expect the Dynamo to address obvious problems early in the year and not have to wait until the summer, hoping that a cheap (rent-a) deux ex machina falls out of the sky and miraculously helps us make it to the playoffs. MLS is getting better each year, we have to keep up or resign ourselves to becoming this year's New England or DC United. Or Chivas.

7seven7 and CeltTexan repped this.
  21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I expect that the teams performances will be evaluated after this road trip, and changes made if players form cannot improve.

CeltTexan and Hydro repped this.
  22. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that the typical change will be "ok, who will play next to Bruin?"

7seven7, JC507, DynamoManiac and 2 others repped this.
  23. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------------Bruin-------Cummings-------------------
    ----------Davis----------------------Boniek--------------
    -------------------------Clark-----------------------------
    Ashe---------------------------------------------Sarkodie
    ----------Taylor---------AJ----------Horst--------------
    --------------------------Hall------------------------------

What about this lineup? You could put Barnes in for Bruin if you'd like. Neither has really impressed so far.

JC507 and Heft repped this.