Pre/PBP/Post: New England v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, April 12

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 7, 2014.

?

Result?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2014.
  1. Dynamo win

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. New England? Again? I guess I can eat another burrito.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #101 ferrari77, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    So, Taylor gets as much blame as Tally for the 2nd goal right? I know Tally was in a difficult spot and felt he needed to come out but the absolutely lackadaisical defending by Taylor was disgusting on that play. Nothing grinds my gears like lazy defending and that was it to a tee. Just watch as Cochran runs back to cover for his GK while Taylor barely jogs back into the box. At some point it would seem like a switch would come on where he'd realize, oh, GK is in trouble and AJ has gone to cover for him in goal, let me go help Tally and cover for Tally before the opposing player can get a chance on goal vs AJ.
    Just lazy defending imo. Forget about the fact that the run came in between him and AJ, at least AJ had the sense and desire to come back quickly and help his GK/team and stop the potential goal. Taylor... just laziness there. Hopefully he does better next time.

Bad result for the team but it happens. Decent crowd for NE though. I was surprised at that.

2. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Looks like Taylor might be seeing his last days in orange this season.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an inconsistent flaw in his game, noted before.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Especially if Horst keeps up his level of play and if AJ gets acclimated to the league quickly and well. It looks like the kid is alright but I guess we'll know more as the season goes on(if he gets more opportunities) and when he faces even better strikers.

5. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    We need to get a forward, period! Fast, slow, I don't care. We need someone who knows how to make things happen. The game changed a little when Omar came in. But Bruin and Barnes may as well have been cardboard cut outs.

And Driver...just wow! What happened to the guy who started the season here last year? How many balls did he kick directly into Revs players today? Just seriously awful.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  6. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There's just not a lot of pressure in Houston to do good in the transfer window. I've heard too many fans say they don't want a DP here because it's not fair to the team. MLS is a strange place. I wonder how long we'll see this same line up.

7. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we need a DP, just some good, fast young players. We just need to discover those guys. Other teams do.

Hydro, Fiorentina lives! and JC507 repped this.
  8. DynamoHum

DynamoHum Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Color me unconcerned.

The first goal was not a fluke. But it was definitely the result of some fortuitous
    pinball bounces during an otherwise decent defensive sequence.

The second occurred with a three man line whilst pressing for an equalizer.

It happens.

My magic eight ball is still reading 'Road points are hard'.

JC507 repped this.
  9. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    garbage. a huge heaping pile of it.

we let a guy get his first goal ever.

we had zero shots. Z.E.R.O.

lost three in a row for the first time in who knows how long.

pick some random take from me previously about tally, the forwards, taylor, etc and place it here.

see you next week......

CeltTexan and Hydro repped this.
  10. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    I sense that if Sherrod gets a chance and scores on a header (which Bruin can't seem to do) then things might change...

Not having Davis just kills this team.

11. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing on carpet, sucks!

Heft repped this.
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSN Houston is in the midst of showing an entire day of Houston sports teams' games with no scoring by the Houston squad

JC507 and *rey* repped this.
  13. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor has not been at his best for a full year now. Both of those goals were at least partially on him. The first one he got out muscled by Bunbury and the second one was exactly as you said. Tally may have gotten to that second goal if it didn't pop up on the turf instead of taking a realistic grass bounce. Still bonehead play on his part. I thought AJ had a great game, probably man of the match for Orange, but nobody played great on our part. Our offense was most disappointing. Davis is still so important to what we do and we were hurting without him out there.

Hydro repped this.
  14. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think most of us would be in agreement to have Taylor benched and see how AJ/Horst combo would work. Sadly I don't see our FW situation changing I would say 4-3-3 but I doubt much would change.

Hydro and JC507 repped this.
  15. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Cochrane played pretty darn well. Watch the replay of Taylor on the second goal and see if you can pinpoint just how quickly he quits on the play. He did the same thing the week prior v. Dallas. Watch how quickly he hits the bench if he keeps that up.

Has anyone seen Andrew Driver since the first 6 or so games last year? Statistically speaking his record when starting with Giles Barnes has to be horrific.

I really, really, really like what I am seeing from Sherrod. He is going to be this year's Geoff Cameron.

16. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, the conversations go wrong when we get into a DP discussion.

Im with Brahma here, it doesnt have to be a DP. We have to do better at scouting in South America. Other teams are doing a better job, and our lack of scouting will hurt us more each year.

As Brahma says, other teams are doing it.

And speaking of DP, how is that Alex Lopez thing working out for us? I know many of yall defend him for being a young DP but i personally would have fired the person responsible for signing Alex.

17. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I probably see the usage of DP slots differently than others. I'm not talking about Kaka here, or his likes. I'm talking about those young South Americans that go play in Mexico, and Spain, and the the usage of money to instead bring them here. For example, attracting a player like OBG, Dario Benedetto, Carlos Quintero, Pablo Aguilar etc. These players are younger, have the motivation, and will make an impact. You may hit or miss quite a bit by trying to find the cheapest option, but quality players, that have been tested are going to cost DP money. That's why they go play in La Liga, or Liga MX.

JC507 repped this.
  18. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree.

I think the main discussion we need to have is about scouting, not about DPs.

But the discussions then go down rabbit holes and we end up discussing Bruin, Barnes, trust Dom, love the Dynamo as is or leave it, too early inThe season, soccer is or it aint a mainstream sport, taco trucks, weather girls and next thing we see, its playoffs time and we barely make it into the playoffs after a Mid table season.

JC507 repped this.
  19. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm somewhat concerned but not overly concerned.

A few things come to mind on this match:

1) On turf. We don't do well on turf.

2) Lee Nguyen....pulled all the strings when they beat us here last year. Wasn't available for the match we won 4-1 here to start the season. Played in this match and they won. Coincidence? I don't think so. The guy can play and frankly, I'd love to see him in Dynamo orange but that ain't gonna happen.

3) Some players a bit out of form right now. Driver. Taylor. Barnes. You can overcome one or maybe even two being out of form but three? That's a bit tough. If one or even two of them bust out of their funk, that's going to make a bigger difference than people might realize.

4) Davis being out hurts no matter how you slice it.

5) Horst being out (although props to Cochran for his first performance) hurts no matter how you slice it.

Overall, I voted that we'd tie the match but not overly surprised by this result. I will be a bit more concerned if this trend continues however.

20. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Hall shouldn't have to come out a mile from his box to make aplay on the ball.

Yes, he needs to clear the ball out with more authority but I am sure he knew whatever he did in that challenge would be scrutinized since he was the last Dynamo player back to try and deny a goal scoring opportunity. Definite red card potential scenario so he probably was softer than he would be normally.

We have to be a threat in the final third to get teams to respect us and not press us high.

They know they can swarm Boniek and that they can hack him without repercussions. He turned the ball over repeateddly in the last several games and I think the sound of footsteps is getting to his head somewhat.

We need more threat from the forward positions that would ease things in the midfield and defense. Until the coach and the Dynamo front office do something about this (or the forwards do something new) we will be mid to bottom table.

It's not very fair to the team and paying fans to do the same thing over and over and to promise different results. (One in particular is where we get an outside midfielder / defender to cross the ball into the box for our forwards).

21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolute shit football!

Crap defending.

Even worse attack!

Good thing the regular season points haul doesn't matter much come playoffs. Like extra play in games and road return legs...oh, wait.

22. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems Legit -
    Seriously though!
    I propose bye bye Davis - in exchange for two young (or semi-young) speedy South Americans -
    Bye Bye Hall we have TD (same guy less money) and bye bye Taylor and with that try to get better defenders.
    Driver you like Houston we understand and we appreciate that get it together or bye bye as well! Either that or say hello to the Aztex or Scorpions -

Seriously Dom is a great coach imagine if he had more Boniek style players and a good CONSISTENT forward on his team - He has taken discarded players and made them pretty good or even GREAT in some cases - (Geoff looking at you)

23. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

he did help kick the first ball at the Dash match and as he walked by me I let him have it about getting off his feet and icing his ankle. I think he knew what I was talking about and looked kinda sheepish.

24. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Is it me only or has Boniek not been the real difference maker in 2014 (after opening match) some make him out to be? He's good but he doesn't dominate.

25. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Again, if somehow Sherrod sees the field, as a sub, and scores on a header... watch BS HD forum go apeshit. :whistling::D

AcetheTigah repped this.