Pre/PBP/Post Houston vs NYRB Aug 3 7pm BBVA

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by AcetheTigah, Jul 30, 2012.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they'd just let the stadium sing the anthem and stop bringing in the American Idol wanna-be parade of stars. But it's really the empty seats at kick-off that'll look really bad on national TV. I know it's another sell-out, but the early kick-off (7:00 pm) on a weeknight will make our usual late-arriving crowd look even sparser.

Anyway, the game itself should be fun. There's a lot of buzz about it.

2. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the crowd arriving late will be as much of an issue for this one, tickets are hard to come by and a lot of folks are excited for the game. It's a Friday night, not a Tuesday/Wednesday, I expect a pretty full building and a great atmosphere.

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    NY seems to draw a good crowd in Houston. We probably won't see as many Mexico jersey's as normal though.

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it'll be a great atmosphere once our crowd fills in during the game. I hope you're right about how the crowd will look at kick-off. I just don't think we do well in getting there in time for kick-off even for weekend games. Weekend games are better than weeknight games, but we're just not good at being there when the game starts, even on weekends.

JC507 repped this.
  5. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I'll be wearing my Everton shirt in honor of one Tim Cahill. I sure as heck hope he plays or at least comes to town.

2) If Ashe is out, I still want Taylor in the middle. Can Creavalle play on the left? Sarkodie?

6. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year we had 30K-ish for this matchup at the Rob... but that's when Rafa Marquez wasnt being Rafa Marquez

7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's what I was thinking. His star is fading a bit.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there with my Marquez jersey on. Going to go down to the signboards to see if I can get him to autograph a set of official red cards I have.

The_Ponce, cfig, Levy2k6 and 1 other person repped this.
  9. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Cahill plays and runs into Marquez and they both get injured and both have to be subbed. In the first minute.

El Naranja, The_Ponce, jvilla07 and 2 others repped this.
  10. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Marquez sucks. Glad he not on our payroll:)

11. dreamingawake09

Jun 12, 2010
    Yeah looks like they're preparing to offload him soon. NY just made another signing, defensive this time for Babajide Ogunbiyi.

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    How can they offload him? (Isn't transfer window closed?) Are they going to just release him from his contract?

13. dreamingawake09

Jun 12, 2010
    I predict they'll offload him in the January window and they're trying to create some depth as well with this signing.

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think he sucks as much as he is getting too old for the pro's.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The incoming transfer window for MLS is closed but other leagues transfer windows are still open. The window that matters is the league you are entering, not the league you are leaving.

Most of the Euro ones are open until the end of August. The Mexico window goes until early September.

16. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    bashing rafa is popular right now..
    but let me remind yall of his 12 titles in seven years as the most capped non european in barca history.
    saying that...
    as funny as it was:ROFLMAO: .. wtf was he thinking when he threw that ball at landycakes?
    the one f*cking great american player that a)speaks spanish and b)takes the time for spanish tv interviews... AND you throw the ball at that guy??:mad:
    gotta admit, landy has done more to grow MLS in the eyes of hispanics than rafa has.

Heft repped this.
  17. dreamingawake09

Jun 12, 2010
    So guys, what do you predict this first match with NY will result in? Knowing that the Red Bulls will play the Spurs tomorrow, you think their fitness will be affect in some way when they reach the oven?

18. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see Creavalle on the left with Sarkodie on the right. This 4-3-3 is built for his attacking style.

Heft repped this.
  19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    *beautiful game interlude*

word.

i saw Rafa play as a 17 year old. dude was special and in the 1st part of the 2000s (the Monaco & early Barcelona years) was one of the best CBs in the world. you don't get to be captain of a Barca team by being 'so-so'.

its unfair to judge him solely on his recent form and stupidness. i know most US based fans know him from the Mexico National Team, but he was a different player on Atlas, Monaco (Ligue 1 isn't one of the leagues popular with poseurs) and Barcelona (pre-TikiTaka bandwagon).

when we were in South Africa for the WC, every local that stopped us asked about Marquez. they knew him from his Champions League days. the day after he scored in the SA - Mexico opening game people would come up to us and ask how a CB had the feet to bring the ball down like he did for his goal and how he looked natural up top.

he's #2 on my all-time CONCACAF born players list. IF he plays on friday, look at the quality of his long ball sevice. dude can hit a dime from 40 yards out with just the right weight.

*OK, return to the stupid sht* :)

20. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, I've been running late to my seat a few times but have never missed kickoff. Hopefully folks are excited to get there early for this one.

21. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How in the F do we not have budget for Rico and they seem to have endless cap room??

22. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Acthung! Acthung! cuz Red Bull gives you wings (and unlimitless signing power).

23. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    They received allocation money for Agudelo, allocation money for Nesta, and waived Maduro. They also would have received more allocation than we did because they finished (9 or 10th). Not too mention Cahill only counts half against the cap this year.

Oh and they have 9 guys making 45k or less to our 6.

24. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

He is one of the most talented players to ever come out of this region. Absolutely no doubt about that. That being said he is a worthless human being. The smug air of superiority he brings and his lack of sportsmanship he has shown throughout his career justifies that comment. His stupidness is not just "recent". It has plagued him repeatedly. All is fine when he is winning and/or doing well but if things go a little sideways on him he turns into a petulant child (I would use much more appropriate words that begin with b and end in itch, but the profanity filter is on).

I would rather have Cam Weaver or Tony Caig on a team than that piece of crud.

25. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i come from the same time/place Marquez does. its actually quite normal among a certain swath of my countrymen (and women). perhaps that's why it doesn't bother me because i grew up with people worse than him. thank goodness for home training.

wait, who said i want current Rafa on my team. that's just crazy talk and don't let anyone try to sell you on that. the dude turned into a cynical SOB. i heard "doing' European fashion models on a regular basis will do that to you.

but i'm talking 'at peak' Marquez. that's a totaly different dude and to say that you would prefer Weaver or Caig over Atlas/Monaco/Barcelona Marquez is just crazy talk.

Heft repped this.