Pre/PBP/Post Houston Dynamo v. Philadelphia Union, Saturday, June 30

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jun 25, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2012.
  1. Dynamo win

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. The entire crowd shows up early. A Saturday night home game? How did that happen?

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    And just generally too many balls through Corey all night long. Over and over again, Davis, Cameron, even Camargo playing the ball to Corey. It NEVER results in anything offensively and it always exposes the defense. So frustrating to watch.

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Camargo looked much more effective in the new scheme. I'm not sure he's ever really going to play an attacking mid role effectively in Dom's traditional set up. This approach keeps his skills on the field and allows him to contribute, instead of struggling with a role that he has essentially no experience playing.

We had six successful crosses in this game, four from Davis and one each from Ashe and Hainault. Davis had four unsuccessful crosses, while Ashe, Hainault, and Boniek each had three.

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I too noticed the overlapping run and was yelling at the TV for Ashe, Ownby, and Creavalle to just put their foot on the ball and play smarter. I thought the Union were going to punish the Dynamo for their poor discipline.

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious, who was it that started ahead of Holden that was clearly not better than Holden? De Rosario? Davis? Or Mullen?

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just not true.

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, tell Glenn. :D

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "... a player who can not lace his shoes ..." quote of OneTerryHorlock.

Wow. Dom did not let a 22 yo kid and his father determine playing time! The kid was not elevated ahead of the best midfield in the history of MLS! A midfield that won four 3 cups and one SS in four years. Your right on. Dom should have been fired.

Seriously. You should make as your signature your view of all this so that all readers of your posts can accurately consider the source.

brahmafutbol and JC507 repped this.
  8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. OK. I got the answer as bewildering as it is.

9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to jump on the chance to agree on something with The Horlock. Ashe's forays forward in extra-time were an imprudent risk.

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Broken Clock and whatnot. LOL

11. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    FYP

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JuegoView, 6/30/12, Dynamo v POT.

- As Celt said, 3 point by hook or by crook. Mission accomplished.

- Can't say it was a solid 90 minutes, but we are entering those dogs days of the MLS summer. Take what you can get.

- I never saw a 4-3-3 on the field. Like SKC, it was 4-5-1 marketed as a 4-3-3 probably to send a message to not be too defensive. Boniek and Kandji both have defensive responsibilities, never stayed high above the ball rather stayed goalside of the ball, and played end-to-end. That is what a midfielder does, not a forward. This is not a complaint, just an observation that 4-5-1 is a more meaningfully accurate description.

- Ashe's lapse on the goal was disappointing. What happened with Hall? Did the shot deflect off a defender? The TV production didn't show.

- First half was pretty damn good.

- The PHU goal gave PHU hope and energy and seemed to unbalance the Dynamo. I liked the response from the Dynamo to get back on top and press for the winner.

- Boniek looked as advertised. So far so good. I enjoyed watching he and Camargo play together. That relationship has tremendous potential.

- The 4-5-1 with Camargo & Cameron as holding MFs is pretty cool to my eyes. That is damn skillful midfield with two good DMs who can both destroy and play the ball forward well. If DK stays with this then last night will be a seminal event.

- I think it is possible that Moffat has lost his spot in the eleven -- but I don't really any evidence to conclude that. Just intuition that Cameron/Camargo would be preferred.

- Will be fascinating to see how this team develops going forward. The three points from PHU need to be backed up with three points from CHI. Get the home field mojo going.

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'll be interested if the 433 persists particularly if Cameron's going, the defense seemed iffy, and we seemed to lapse too much into chipping balls downfield. I also don't think DK is willing to commit to 433 defense, we were defaulting into 451 coming back, and that's actually less high pressure than a traditional 442. Which is why I thought a pretty weak Philly team was able to get downfield. I get a kick out of watching us play attacking soccer but I think we'd need a little more possession offense talent and a defensive overhaul to do it seriously for 90. But it might be nice to have this in mind sometimes. Sometimes the 442 or die thing reeks of lack of faith or something when we need more offense late in a game.

I did think the evening's open, spacey formation posed an interesting men from boys exercise where I think the quality stood out in its way and the dross just the same. I think we'd agree who played well, but I felt like Camargo was anonymous (and oddly used on the right....Cameron would have been more natural but the choice seems to suggest lack of faith in form and/or fitness), the defense as a whole generally looked suspect for speed (though Boz made some nice one on one plays), and Ashe looked ineffectual in both directions. Hall needs to get his crap together, sucky defense is not his problem but poor leadership and losing composure are. "Call the ball."

14. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    The shot deflected off of Taylor and wrong footed Hall. Shot should never have happened. Daniel had way too much time and was allowed to turn inside because Corey Ashe had his head on the clouds. Oh well. 3 points are 3 points!

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think Reccio is less of a risk?

16. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    I think a monkey wearing a tuxedo is less of a risk!

The_Ponce and JC507 repped this.
  17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Once again the CA haters attribute blame falsely - the goal was due to the inexplicable roots of Tally's feet on that shot. That shot was from outside the box and within reach of a dive.

Tally also watched another potentially saveable shot from Toronto go in. He's a good keeper and had one or two good saves in the game but he's got to put more effort in making sure the ball is covered even if it appears going past the post.

Corey played decently last night and was not the cause of the goal - Dom's quote of 'flat feet' should be attributeable to Tally's blunder. That shot was a good one but it wasn't more than 6 feet away from Tally and it certainly wasn't a rocket.

If people want to see Corey get the ball passed to him less, then they should get on Andrew Hinault on not being good enough with the ball offensively. His weakness in dribbling under pressure and passing up in attack is why his teammates prefferentially try to work Corey as he is more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

There won't be more respect for your comments until you become more objective with your thoughts.

TX Bill repped this.
  18. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Cameron does go how would we play the 4-3-3/4-5-1. Could Camargo slip into the middle with Watson or Ownby on the right? Or could Watson come in to the middle? Just wondering how it'd work. Hope we keep seeing something like last night cause I thnk it showed that Kandji in that type of formation is dangerous and will give the defense fits with his speed.

19. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don't get why you've never been made a head coach in MLS. Hard to fathom.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a near-perfect angle on that goal, the shot was taken and heading slightly to the left of Hall and took a deflection back towards his right, with pace. I hate saying the keeper had no chance but I can't see very many keepers making that save unless they read the initial shot so poorly that they never moved.

Don't know if you were at the game or watching on TV but it was clear for most there that it was deflected.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things here:

(1) I think last night can lay to rest the notion that the Dynamo should have built a 30,000 stadium. Game 7 in the new stadium and we have what some would feel is a subpar attendance. I think the weather held down the walkup crowd and I think another thing is that when you look on AXS, the only non-single seats available for most games are the upper endzones and folks don't want to sit there.

But a bit disappointing that the new stadium smell wore off so soon. We had more no-shows around us than usual and I would expect the same for Tuesday night.

(2) I liked Boniek's skill set and think as practices more with the team he will get better. Quick, seems comfortable with the ball. I'd say he looked a bit rusty with a few of his passes.

I also feared that on Ching's PK play that Boniek may have ripped up his knee - he got tackled sort of awkwardly on the ball in and looked like he took a shot to the knee with his leg planted. It looked sort of ugly from my angle.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I was amused the normally cautious Dynamo, so willing to backpass, seemed unable to help themselves at the end against Philly when keepaway would have been prudent. It was like a few passes then someone would get ambitious. To be fair, Philly's a decent, young defense.

All due respect to Anderson's stats, but Boniek had a cross assist, and we know what Davis does over a season. Even Hainault can strike an accurate, dangerous ball (so can Taylor). In comparison, Corey Ashe taking crosses is like letting your pitcher hit in a tight game, or having most big men shoot threes. I'm sure that's why teams are content to focus on Davis and leave Corey open. "Here, have it." We need to keep tinkering tactically til the man we want open is open, not take what they give.

If the 433 persists they should consider Davis up top to lessen his defensive responsibilities and put him in a naturally deep spot for crossing.

In terms of who should have given way for Holden, Mullan, wow. Even if we don't run with the somewhat intangible of talent -- the sometimes tough question of whether x is better than y -- which I think favors Holden clearly, Holden was already more productive in 07 than Mullan. Even a rookie Cameron could make strides on Mullan beginning in 08. Yes, we won in 07, which makes the choice "sufficient," but do you really believe that changes if Holden plays?

23. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    a dynamo fan from the beginning. There are two mistakes the team has made over their time here. And I belive they will haunt us for a while
    1. Letting go of DeRo and not paying him. He is by every standard a DP quality player in this league. He is probably gonna be a Hall of Famer. He is still the best all around player the Dynamo have ever had in my opinion

2. Not building a stadium to deal with the heat. Some will say a roof was not possible given the cost. I say bull. AEG could do anything they want.
    If someone had a way to implement some way of cooling off the stadium or built more shaded coverings or just put a roof on the place it would help alleviate any objections to the heat by possible incoming players. And laslty , the emptiness of the stadium when watching on TV is actually painful for me. I just cant beliv e there are so many no shows for our games already.

f.o. please look for and find a solution. You knew our seasonal callendar when you built it. You knew the heat would be a fatctor. YOu knew. The stadium itself it great,But the heat is gonna cost us in several ways. IMO.

24. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    actually I say Red Bull

25. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    play smarter? I almost pissed myself with laughter towards the end of the match when Creavalle tried to take throw in and Dom stopped him. That was one of the funniest, profanity laden outbursts I have ever heard. Creavalle's reaction was priceless, looked like a toddler that just got scolded. I thought he was going to cry. But damn was it funny.