Pre/PBP/Post Houston Dynamo v. Philadelphia Union, Saturday, June 30

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jun 25, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2012.
  1. Dynamo win

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. The entire crowd shows up early. A Saturday night home game? How did that happen?

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    not saying at all that Rico was not a good player just that Stu was better; yes at that time recall most of us calling for Stu at every occasion with TBO just fitting him in.

It was a massive source of frustration for him and dad Brian and probably had a lot to do with Euan not signing when drafted just think he'd be sitting behind Ashe right now along with Creaville who I think in one game proved himself better than OTP

My whole point is he just stays with the same old players no changes even when its staring him in the face we need to change

Lets see what he does tonight

Again no disrespect meant to Rico he was a good player but not the caliber of the young Mr Holden

2. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol

3. ponte_la_naranja

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    As of this minute, 46 sections are available for ticket purchases for tonight's game. I would be surprised if this game got 18,000 tonight.

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    This revisionist history is nonsense IMHO.

Look at Houston's D before Clark and after Clark. You know why Robinson etc. did not leak goals prior to Clark's departure? Clark murdered any attack that came up the middle. Teams were forced wide to send crosses in to our Waibel/Robinson/Cochrane(or others) back line which worked poorly. They could not come up the middle because Clark was a beast.

Look, he went off to Germany and was not as successful as Holden has been in England.

But that had nothing to do with the decision to start Clark ahead of Holden.

In Dom's system, Holden was either a winger or an a-mid. DeRo was forced out to accommodate starting Holden.

Holden could not then and can not now perform the defensive midfield position in Houston's system. He (like Reyna with the USMNT) needs to be paired with another two way midfielder that plays defense (like O'Brien with Reyna). If he would have been paired with DeRo...Houston would have leaked goals left and right.

DonJuego and Eliezar repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I ask where Euan Holden is now? Isn't he like in the English 4th Division? Not to disrespect him, but I don't think we lose sleep over him not signing.

6. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like dom's been reading some posts.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It's not even really a debate if you compare the 2007 stats, Mullan got pretty much all the starts and had 1G 3A, Holden had 10 starts 5G 5A. I've said before that this is one of the clearer examples of DK's veteran pecking order at work. What blows my mind is it was almost easier for Cameron to break in the next year (his first), and Holden was a Sunderland reserve coming in who was some bad luck away from a career there years before Bolton.

Holden and Rico are apples and oranges, different positions. But if the suggestion is Mullan is that level of player (ROTFL)

Rico is the best DM ever here by so far it's not funny. If we were smart we'd try to get him back from Germany where he's wasted/ loaned. Palmer and Moffat aren't even on his planet either offensively or defensively. Camargo, tiny bit.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    FWIW Bradley used Holden as a RM a lot, he can cross a ball insanely well -- better than Shea or Agudelo -- and I think that's where he belonged.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Sturgis is a Garey level waste of space that if Kinnear starts is indicative he's not paying enough attention or trying hard enough.

Boniek, depends what he's up to. I thought bringing along Costly slowly was a joke because he was playing for Honduras right before us. If they show up game fit no sense playing pretend. But I don't know what Boniek's been doing.

That being said, if you look at the available set and pick Clark I think you're nuts.

The_Ponce repped this.
  10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Starting XI for the Dynamo: Hall; Hainault, Boswell, Taylor, Ashe; Camargo, Cameron, Davis (C); BONIEK GARCIA, Bruin, Kandji. SUBS: Deric, Weaver, Sturgis, Clark, Ownby, Creavalle, Ching

If true, slow backline, interesting midfield.

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    4-3-3 formation. This is going to be interesting. I'm happy to see Kandji, Bruin, and Boniek up top.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Gonna be a fun watch

13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think, from what I've seen during the first half, that Kinnear has got this formation and line-up right. Some great football tonight.

14. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very happy with the lineup and the formation so far. Oscar is making a great first impression. Mac is playing like a stud up top and Camargo looks comfortable. I love watching us sprint back on defense when they lose the ball to disrupt opposing play. Reminds me of the Dynamo of old. Lets keep it up at the half.

15. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I'm buying tickets for the next game
    can somebody please tell me if I have to buy tickets for my 2 year old baby? thanks

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Kandji beeeeeeotches! Almost like a second transfer.

I'll be interested how long we go with this attacking 433 defending 451. More overlapping, like on the goal. Gonna play 433 attack you gotta keep the ball moving and not just stand in a spot. When we do this is fun to watch, I agree, good use of the talent on hand, good way to handle a Philly team short on attacking quality but a little tough on D.

Defense is frightening when they get a jailbreak, so we need to cut down on unforced errors. Let the ball do the work. Defense needs to keep the ball on the floor and not lapse into 442 hoofball.

17. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Nice defense there by Corey Ashe-Sucks.

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wow! Where did their composure go during half-time?

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    We need to stay on the attack and not lose the ball cheaply in the mid because the defense is scary bad.

Heft repped this.
  21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think we're doing them a favor dropping from the 433 attack to 451 defensively. Need more high pressure to make it easier to win ball and also take pressure off our defense.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Sub in Ching and Watson.

23. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Boniek :(...

Edit: no cards this game interesting...

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    No! Meal ticket! Sh%t!

25. dreamingawake09

Jun 12, 2010
    Gah damnit.....we just can't catch a break..