Pre/PBP/Post Houston Dynamo v. Philadelphia Union, Saturday, June 30

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jun 25, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2012.
  1. Dynamo win

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. The entire crowd shows up early. A Saturday night home game? How did that happen?

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. dadcoachref

dadcoachref BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Crosby
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the online magazine shows a projected lineup something like this...

........Ching..........Bruin
    ................Watson.....
    Davis........................Clark
    .................Sturgis..........
    Ashe...Cameron...BB...Hainault

2. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    that's the starting line up I would put my money on.

3. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Clark? Why? He's shown nothing. Even if Boniek can't start I still wouldn't start Clark.

4. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    For the love of God, I have had more quality touches on the ball than Colin Clark this season, and I sit in the front freaking row of the stadium! Maybe I should start over him tomorrow night!

redinthemorning and JC507 repped this.
  5. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    CC has been a bit of a spark off the bench behind Carr who has shown me more in the last 5 games than I thought he had.

With Carr injured go with DP and bring CC on later. Show the new stud you are pleased to have him here and use him from the get go.

really makes me laugh in England when a team brings in a stud player he;s straight in the team first game fans go nuts at the new signing good bad or indifferent the fans don't care.

Thats why I question the bald ones ability to manage (not coach because clearly he can get blood out of a stone when it comes to coaching) he's just a shit man manager

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And after Philly, we have games against the two teams that are currently immediately ahead of us in the standings. This stretch is about as good an opportunity as you can get.

I'd also go ahead and start Boniek. It's not like tonight's available options at right mid have been all that effective. If his game sharpness isn't there, then bring in Clark off the bench. We often make a sub at right mid at some point anyway.

7. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I never said I think that's the best lineup-but we all know those are the guys that will start tonight.

8. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

We have a home and away with KC within two weeks of each other-Star those matches. Those are the make and break ones.
    I don't trust NY-let them finish 1st, then someone will take them out in the first round of the playoffs. Watch out for Chicago, I had a feeling they would come around-they are, well, um...catching on Fire. I don't think DC is for real. But then again many people don't think we are for real-but any real MLS fan would say-We don't want to face Houston in the playoffs.
    I hated practice throughout my playing career, lived for games. One of my college teammates called me a "gamer". The Dynamo are "gamers" when it comes to postseason (excluding that one disaster with NY).
    In the new MLS, the key is 1) make the playoffs and 2) don't play in that play in game. Other than that it really doesn't matter where in the top three you finish.
    This will be interesting since we usually heat up in mid to late summer. We have to do that this year. Can't wait to make a stronger showing in the fall as CCL is going to eat our lunch.

9. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning Dom. Just put Boniek out there from the get. ******** it Kandji, Ownby. Anyone but Clark.

10. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    agreed

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS playoffs have almost always been about one of the finalists being a team that gets hot late rather than finishing top of the conference. With the conference final now being a two-leg series, the advantage for finishing first in the conference in the regular season is slightly diminished.

The goal or key is finishing in the top 3. Regardless of what you think about the teams ahead of us AND the home/away splits the rest of the way, the reality is that the Dynamo need pick up the pace and get wins because all of the teams above us are going to project out to decent point totals.

July (and June 30) is the month if we are going to make a real move with home games.

Realistically, we just need to grind out the 3 points tonite and on Tuesday. Style is not a big concern coming off the last two games.

DonJuego repped this.
  12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn mentions in his latest post that Stoke is very close to a deal and that tonight may be Cameron's last game for the Dynamo. If it's really that close, I hope he can stay focused tonight.

13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was starting to think that that deal had gone sour. I have mixed emotions. Hopefully he won't hold back tonight knowing he is probably gone.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Boniek start, and my guess is that he'll at least get some minutes. Last year Moffat was starting pretty much as soon as he got here, and Costly played the last 30 minutes of a game a couple of days after joining the team.

I think the theories that Dom won't play new guys or young players are overblown, if he thinks a guy is going to help us win then he'll play them.

With all that being said, I also wouldn't be surprised if Boniek doesn't play.

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    agreed on all points

16. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dude better play. We're in no position not to play him at that position. If your DP can't play better than CC right off the plane there is a problem. Put that guy in there.

redinthemorning and CeltTexan repped this.
  17. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    Ask Stu Holden that question when he sat on the bench for 18 months behind someone who could not lace his boots then play him out of his best position.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE BALD ONE DOES

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get the 3 either by hook or by crook! C'mon boys!!

Nice knowing ya Geoff. You did earn you move up in the footballing life. Well done son.

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    this isn't a case where Clark will be starting the rest of the year and OBG coming off the bench. OBG's only been here 3 days peeps. its no big deal if he doesn't start tonight, but i'm pretty sure you will see him off the bench if he doesn't.*

*dear BS over-reactors. please note that if the Dynamo see 2 red cards tonight that OBG will not play. its not about 'the bald one' losing the plot, it ain't Canetti telling Dom what to do or some AEG conspiracy.

brahmafutbol repped this.
  20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why call Dom The Bald One? Why not call him The Coach At 3 MLS Cups?

Ortiz says Boniek is expected to start. Why not go with that instead of assuming he won't, like the guys who arrived out of shape or I'll-prepared for MLS?

21. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    So Stu Holden was a right mid and sat on the bench behind Mullan only to eventually be played as a central midfielder (out of position)? The other two starters were DeRo, Davis, and Clark. I have to think that you mean Mullan?

Am I reading your argument correctly?

OneTerryHurlock repped this.
  22. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    No Clark Stu was much the better palyyer as he has proven in EPL. Clark could not even make it in the Bundsaliga and now bit part in Norway.

SH should have started at least 12 months before he did but yet again TBO would just not make the change.

He's a box to box MF and I think would have earned a big money move 12 montsh ago if not for his injury

23. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    Because Ortiz has the IQ of half my left nut! I swear if I ever see that guy on the street, I will straight up go Texas Avenue Hooligan on him!

JC507 repped this.
  24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    you are seriously under rating Rico Clark as a MLS Def Mid.

i think it unfair to compare what they became compared to what they were here.

i mean Rico would wipe clean everything and anything that would come up that spine and cross field.

TX Bill, DonJuego and JC507 repped this.
  25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTH, I know what you are saying that Holden arguably should have seen the field sooner but the midfield of Davis-DeRo-Rico-Mullan is one of the alltime best MLS midfields that you will ever see. Davis was sort of injury prone then and the 2007 Gold Cup callups gave Holden his big chance.

Rico Clark in that era - 2006-2009, was the best DM in MLS in my opinion.

TX Bill, DonJuego, DNez2001 and 3 others repped this.