Pre/PBP/Post: Houston Dynamo v. Montreal Impact, Saturday, March 15

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 9, 2014.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2014.
  1. Dynamo win

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No free burrito this week? Sigh. Life is hard.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky goal. Nice the bounces are going the right way for Bruin so far this season. He still needs to bury the 1v1 with the keeper. Two games in a row he missed them.

7seven7 repped this.
  2. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another 3pts. I liked the energy and aggression in the 1st half. Second half we could've done with more passing distribution to bring Ashe and Kofi into the attack and serve more passes in. Felt like we sent enough crosses in but it looked like not enough were in the box to fight for the ball. We definitely got tested this game but I'm glad we got another shutout. I'm really liking watching Horst in the back fighting his ass off. So far from the little I've seen. Sherrod and Driver are great options coming off the bench. The creativity and energy is there from both.

JC507 repped this.
  3. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'll take that one. Strikes me as the kind of game they would have let slip away last season.

I like Driver but he's just hugely less effective on the right than on the left. How do you get to this level and be THAT one sides??

And can anyone explain Brad Davis to me? Right at the 80 minute mark in a 1-0 game he made a nice play, stole and pass and started upfield with one defender. Ran maybe six yards and stopped, turn and passed backwards. WTF is with that?!! I get "possession." But seriously, if you're not going to attack a defense in that situation why bother stealing the pass in the first place. He frustrates me.

redinthemorning and JC507 repped this.
  4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

Because they had sustained possession in our end for a while and when Giles broke out before that he sprinted up field with the ball got it stolen and they came back down our end-Dom was cursing, using words I have never heard before (and I have spent time on a lot of naval vessels) about losing the ball. I think Brad understood if he lost possession again, Dom was going to throw a shoe at him.

5. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'd accept that as an explanation for my specific questions. But he does it all the time. Dom can't always be pissed can he?!?!

Levy2k6 repped this.
  6. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

he is always pissed but I can't recall the last time I saw him quite blow a gasket this badly-probably that CCL match he got tossed-the difference tonight was he was pissed at his guys for not following directions.

7. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there something we need to learn from last year is that we can't get comfortable with a 1 goal lead. I've been happy with not blowing the lead minutes after we take the lead so far,but that cross bar isnt gonna be so friendly and reliable all the time. If this team had their full squad, some of those near misses turn into goals against us. I'm hoping we learned that from last year when we blew games like this and it bit us in the ass come playoff time.

8. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. The1Brak

The1Brak Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Houston
    Dom chased down the ref after a game once and had to be pulled away while he hurled profanities at him. I think it was away to chivas late in the 2006 season. The ref had blown several major calls in a row that would have changed the game for us.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Kofi MOTM for me. Dude is going to get a serious look with the USMNT next cycle.

Anyway, I'll take 3 points and winning ugly.

11. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waiting for *rey*'s negative posts.......

12. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction: If this team had their one forward in Di Vaio, we would have lost.

Not a good game, but the points are still on the board. Definitely need to sort out the defense and the midfield has to do much better as well. Taylor and Horst have to get that understanding down or we could give up a lot next game in Vancouver.

13. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Should have started since this last GC to be honest.

JC507 repped this.
  14. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about Driver, he is so much worse on the right its not even funny. And I wish I knew what play you were talking about with Brad so that I could respond better, but the simple answer is that he understands his limitations. Hes not going to run the whole field, especially that late in the game. He's only effective with quick cuts over short space and when hes not holding onto the ball for long periods of time. I get more frustrated as a defender when my offense keeps pushing the tempo late in the game and turning it over every two seconds. Especially with a one goal lead. Again, I'd have to see the play to comment accurately, but what you describe sounds smart to me not dumb.

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

yep-I vividly remember that because DeRo got an early red and that caused Dom to sub Wondo, who actually started. The poor kid had finally worked his way up to starting and if wasn't one thing or another (this match was a good example of bad karma for the kid) he always found himself on the short end of the stick and most of the time it wasn't his fault.

16. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Since someone is looking for negative posts-I agree about if they had their full squad comment, but they didn't and we got three points. Coulda, woulda, shoulda-the points are ours regardless of the situation.

Now I have been one of the Dancing Bear's staunchest supporters but he really needs to finish those one on ones-those are goals that in later matches could be difference between hosting MLS Cup and traveling to Portland or something. I'll give Driver a pass-that was a really good save by Perkins, but Bruin for two weeks has made a mess of some golden opportunities-but he has scored the ones that matter.

7seven7, Dynamo_Forever and footyfool repped this.
  17. SogeJ

SogeJ Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #67 SogeJ, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    I don't have the channel. I was just watching the game through an online stream.

At halftime the game was having tech dificulties. In the background, the announcer forgot to turn off his mic when he was consulting his techies on what he should do. This was going on for a couple of minutes.

"Were going to show these highlights, and then the title card, and then these other sets of highlights. Got it."

For a pro sports channel that was ridiculous.

Edit: and also this:
    [​IMG]

shoeless and JC507 repped this.
  18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I watched the broadcast on CSN-H and did not see any technical issues. NBC and it's affiliates have the best product out there in my opinion, and CSN does a beautiful job.

redinthemorning and BayVol repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what Davis' knock was at the end?

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to agree on this - its too bad many cant get CSN, best Dynamo coverage they have ever had.

Heft, redinthemorning and AcetheTigah repped this.
  21. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far in 2014, 2 games, 2 rainy nights, 2 nice crowds (one a record), 2 clean sheets and 2 wins. So far, I'm liking it.

I didn't like all the giveaways last night. I think the wet pitch might have had something to do with it. There were lots of dumb short passes to nobody. But also a lot of long clearances that went straight to guys in blue. I think of all Talley's clearances there was maybe only one or two then went to a Dynamo player. I was probably complaining almost as much is Dom. But still a win is a win. I hope we can carry it up to Vancouver…

JC507 repped this.
  22. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    I agree with you and I also disagree. Our defense had several lapses allowing Montreal to get in behind and threaten the goal, but that same defense also frequently tracked back to cover its own mistakes. So they deserve criticism, but they also deserve praise and the bottom line is that for whatever reasons, we've now gone 180 minutes without giving up a goal and that's pretty refreshing!

JC507 repped this.
  23. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    18k+ last night is pretty damn good for a rainy day that had plenty of other stuff going on in the city.

TX Bill, footyfool and brahmafutbol repped this.
  24. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the beer and the bj but why don't I get a steak with it?

2 game winning goals, 3 total goals, and an assist in 2 games isn't a bad performance. He does need to work on the steak part of the analogy but let's appreciate the good parts.

25. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    he is atleast getting SOG on those 1v1s, i feel like last year he would shank them or be so indecisive that the last defender would overtake him.

metroag repped this.