Pre/PBP/Post Houston Dynamo v. DC United, Sunday, July 15

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jul 10, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2012.
  1. Dynamo win

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Dynamo tie

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Dynamo lose

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. Stoke City is quoted, "Wait! What?", after signing Cam Weaver to a $2.7 million transfer.

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with the point that trading Cameron and bringing in a real forward will help our team... I would hardly call it a race to mediocrity when we keep making the playoffs and doing well in the playoffs.

Think about all the last seeded teams doing well in the playoffs: Colorado Rapids won MLS Cup and who can forget our loss to last-seeded team NYRB that fateful day?

MLS championship is anyone's for the taking. It's a crapshoot. That's how it works in a league with so much parity.

2. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using the word MEDIOCRITY to describe our team may be a bit harsh, but I agree with 7's feeling. I like winning like everybody else, and I understand that we won't win every single time.

But our strategy in the last few years appears to be limited to "Do what you can not to lose games, ties are OK, get rejects from other teams to 'reinforce' your squad, find cheap players during the winter, and splurge on a more expensive short-term ("trial") player during the summer, get the best out of the players you have, enough to make it to the playoffs, and by that time, use the recently acquired reinforcements obtained on 6-month loan to try to win the MLS cup".

Last year, I was disappointed watching the Cup final vs the Galaxy. We had no attacking power, and it was clear that Dom had done a great job getting the best out of the players we had, but they couldn't do anything without Davis, and they had run out of steam.

I hope there are more improvements on the team this weekend. I wish we were signing a new player, maybe an attacking midfielder. But the team doesn't appear to have attacking power, even with Boniek, and our midfielders and forwards are getting tired running back and forth to defend. I hope they turn it around.

Come on, orange men, give us a win!

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Referee is Jasen Anno, get ready for a debacle. The guy has given out 19 reds in 33 games, and that doesn't count reds that he had a part in as 4th official. Worse yet, he has no control during games and no respect.

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That guy is a potential disaster at any moment isn't he?

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, he is incompetent as an MLS official.

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ortiz says that Cameron (make of that what you will), Carr, Watson, Sarkodie, and Dixon are all healthy again. Of course, none of them have played recently and wouldn't be game-fit.

And just for grins, here's some info on Jasen Anno:

His stats at RefRefs, including team-by-team stats: Click here.

Here's a video of him from U.S. Soccer's referee blog: Click here.

7. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lurked the DC boards, I think they plan on playing the game at the Houston Zoo or something... can't tell what's going on in there.

8. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like their threads more than ours. I want pictures of cute animals all over this biatch!

[​IMG]

El Naranja repped this.
  9. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    after seeing today's results-looks like a win would be huge for us. A tie would be disappointing but not a disaster. A loss could be devastating. We have to keep pace with Chicago.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yep, some really fortuitous results in Toronto fending off NE at Foxboro and CLB losing at home. A win tomorrow would be pretty big and would give us a little breathing room in 5th. Would have liked seeing Chicago draw at least but it doesn't matter as long as we take care of business. We can definitely finish in the top 3.

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three vital home games begins with getting 3 of an in form DCU!
    C'mon boys get to work, make the most of this congested home stretch here in the dog days of July cuz August will only get tougher.

12. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is accurate. that's why i ended my post with "regular season speaking". although making the playoffs is great, i'd prefer a more sound strategy than "lets just get in the playoffs and see what happens."

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    But when you're making the playoffs EVERY year (except one) with the parity devices in the league, you have to understand that accomplishing that alone is incredible, regardless of what we look like throughout the season. If you took the end-of-season performance for every team since 2006 and created some sort of point system based on finish place with playoffs included I am pretty positive we'd be on top. Also, I think this was supposed to be our "off year" (this was my opinion at the beginning of the year) where we don't do a damn thing, and somehow it looks like we're sticking with it. Believe me, I'm one of Dom's biggest critics, specifically from a player personnel standpoint, but the signing of an obviously talented Boniek and a switch to a 4-3-3 to alleviate pressure on our CB's in the last few games has certainly changed my mind about his ability to stray from his normal course mid-season. I certainly believe we've run above expectation and probably a full deviation from the norm in the past year and a half, but I don't care because it is just a bonus in a league where you're not supposed to be able to finish where we finish every single year (playoffs included) with the salaries we employ and players we lose to transfers/frees/trades...though the latter is Dom's/FOs fault and has probably cost us some points and maybe some silverware somewhere, but I digress.

I understand your concerns because it does seem like we are constantly teetering on the brink of not making the playoffs, but in the end, we HAVE, and we've produced once we've gotten there. Just enjoy us running hot, because with the talent we pay for and missteps we've made over the years dealing them out for nothing, we should not be anywhere near making 3 MLS cups and 4 conference finals in 6 years.

DonJuego repped this.
  14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
  15. ponte_la_naranja

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Looks like the stadium won't be 1/2 full in these weather conditions.
    I would buy a ticket and go if the rains were sure to stop.

At Kickoff it's a 40% chance.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather.com forecast prediction is NO RAIN above the stadium at 7 pm.

By the way, Imapuppy, my young niece loves your avatar. I offered to change the shirt color to orange for her,
    [​IMG]

19. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's half full fine then. Let the true fans come out and stand in the rain while the bandwagon fans sit at home and watch on tv wishing they were there to catch the ball from that Dynamo girl with the double D plastic rack

The_Ponce repped this.
  20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Niece liked this one better:
    [​IMG]

ImaPuppy, The_Ponce and WRXTuan repped this.
  21. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stolen!

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey guys I'm in Houston atm and am looking to attend a game this week.. which of the 3 games do you think will draw the best crowd, or do you recommend seeing the most? I was planning to attend tonight, but do you think the rains will drive the crowd away?

23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    INCREDIBLE. Stolen.

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think tonight will be the highest quality game, but those weeknight games have been drawing nice crowds. Rains could drive some people away but if it stays clear like it is right now we could see a nice crowd. I'd go to the SKC match personally though.