Pre/PBP/Post: Houston Dynamo v. DC United, Saturday, March 2

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Feb 21, 2013.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2013.
  1. Dynamo win

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Dynamo tie

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Carlos Ruiz? Carlos Ruiz? Carlos @#$*% Ruiz!!

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
  2. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Isn't it Saturday YET?!?!?!

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it Tuesday yet?!

4. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it dec 9 yet?

5. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it 2014 opening day yet?

6. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see J. Johnson out there with Bruin. Might as well make things interesting.

ImaPuppy and Levy2k6 repped this.
  7. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Glenn mentioned on his show that Weaver was nursing some knock. I haven't seen any updates, but our forwards are pretty hobbled right now.

9. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    not sure if you're going to those places with friends or just off old recommendations but there are a couple of newer beer nerdy bars that have opened recently that might be worth your time:

Moon Tower Inn ( http://damngoodfoodcoldassbeer.com/ )
    game meat sausages + ~50 beers on tap + giant lot w/ a bunch of picnic tables

Hey Merchant/Underbelly ( http://www.haymerchant.com/about/ )
    houston's version of churchkey/birch&barley

cougarclaws and Atouk repped this.
  10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'd prefer this as well, as raw as JJ is.

11. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok guys, I have two extra tickets for sell. One little issue or big! Seats are not together, one of them you will be seating next to me and my wife, the other one is still in same section 204, but higher and the opposite side. PM me if interested. Will sell each $20, good price!

12. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I've been to the Ginger Man in Houston (before our 1-4 beatdown at Robertson in '11 :() and went then because I'd previously enjoyed the one in Dallas.

I was planning to hit Flying Saucer because I've been to the one in Fort Worth and my hotel is right around the corner from it. (Knowing me, I may stop there after check-in and never leave!).

I'll take a look at those two to see if the locations are work. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Is Lucky's Pub worth a stop-in before the game? And is it problematic to do so wearing DC gear?

13. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If JJ starts then we have issues major with injuries. Everything thats been said about him is that he needs some time.

14. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd probably catch some flack for it, but I doubt anyone would try to cause you physical harm. This ain't RFK, after all.

Atouk repped this.
  15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Worth a stop-in. You'll get heckled but nothing will happen to you or anything.

Atouk repped this.
  16. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll set-up a welcoming committee for you. As soon as you see me just curse us out. That'll set everything up perfectly.

redinthemorning and Atouk repped this.
  17. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As tough as a reputation as Houston fans have i've never seen an away fan mistreated or bullied or called out his name in Houston and i'm very proud of that.

Unless any of you guys have seen something I haven't.

Well now that I recall there was a time two douches in Red Bulls Jersey tried to get into EB's section back last year at the Rob but those were just Houston guys being Douches and not
    away fans.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Home openers in Dynamo history:

04/02/2006 HOU 5-2 COR
    First game ever for the Dynamo. Brian Ching scores 4 goals in front of 25,462 at Robertson Stadium.

04/08/2007 HOU 0-0 LAG
    Scoreless tie to start the Dynamo defense of the MLS Cup.

04/06/2008 HOU 3-3 FCD
    Geoff Cameron scores in stoppage time to salvage a tie.

03/21/2009 HOU 1-1 CLB
    Ching scores first but the Crew tie it up late in the 2nd half.

04/1/2010 HOU 2-1 RSL
    The Dynamo win behind two penalty kicks by Brad Davis.

03/19/2011 HOU 0-1 PHI
    The Union win despite lots of chances for the Dynamo including a notable miss.

05/12/2012 HOU 1-0 DCU
    The Dynamo open BBVA Compass Stadium with a winning goal from Brad Davis.

That's 3-1-3 with 12 goals scored and 8 allowed.

19. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still seem to be pushing tickets pretty hard. If we can't sell out a season opener, I don't see us selling out at all this season unless god-willing a perfectly timed playoff. I guess the stadium paint is already fading.

JC507 repped this.
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A third of all STHs will no-show due to the cold weather tomorrow night. I've seen and heard the 12,000 season tickets sold figure again this year so that seems accurate. Figure more 17 -18,000 crowds this year as the curious folks have already seen the stadium. It'll be like last year, the sidelines and lower endzones will be full, the upper end zones will have large gaps.

As they get a little deeper into the season they probably sell more groups, etc.

But this season should put to rest any of the calls to have built a 30,000 seat stadium, we just don't draw that well on a regular basis.

JC507 repped this.
  21. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big issue is the definition of "regular basis." Some people actually believe building a 25k+ stadium is worth it for 4-5 matches a year. Even if those are full (and that's a big "if"), it creates a glut of available tickets that reduces atmosphere and season ticket value.

22. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think less than 800 seats were left for this game and that was this morning

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that the extra $20 million or so it would have cost to build it bigger would take an awful long time to recover.

Season ticket value is already eroding, if you look at what the tickets are worth on the secondary market - I can buy a ticket on StubHub for tomorrow night in the endzone for less than buying it thru the team (including all fees). SOme of that is people dumping seats and some is brokers who overbought, but it is sort of oddly alarming. The biggest season ticket benefit is avoiding the transaction fees.

They will never admit it, but I think if they misjudged one thing it was designing the stadium with too few sidelines seats to sell as season tickets. They could probably sell more of those if they had a bigger grandstand on the sides, instead it is largest in the upper endzones. I suppose the club seat price gained offsets the loss of seats at midfield on the west side.

24. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You guys think that it may be due to scheduling DCU again for a home opener? We played them 5 times last year, 3 at home and the semi-finals wasn't too long ago. Maybe for the casual fan it's "seeing the same old show." Just a thought.

25. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    All I know is that with the Hispanic population that Houston has, let alone all the rest of the people in the city, the attendance is really poor at Dynamo games. I've been very disappointed with the people that love soccer, and yet when it's playing right in their backyard, they won't go support their city's team because it's not a Mexican team...It's sad to see a city with a big soccer culture draw less than 22,000 people regularly. And the 4th largest city in the nation, I'll add.

Beavis Stiffler and Transatlantic repped this.