Pre-Match/Match/Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC vs. New England Revolution - May 3, 2014 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Apr 20, 2014.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What/When
    • Toronto FC (3-0-3) will return home to BMO Field to take on the New England Revolution (2-2-3) on Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio
    And The Match...
    Five Match Trend
    • TFC: WLWLL
    • NE: DWLWD
    Last Match vs. New England
    • August 30, 2013 vs. NE - TFC 1 NE 1
    Supporters Group Match Thread Links

2. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Watching the Raptors game....Defoe, Bradley and Julio Cesar are all there. Cesar is even wearing a Raptors jersey.

3. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    REFEREE: Mark Geiger. AR1 (bench): Joe Fletcher; AR2 (opposite): Gianni Facchini; 4th: Mathieu Bourdeau
    MLS Career: 118 games; FC/gm: 26.6; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 30; pens: 40

DISABLED LIST:
    TORONTO FC
    OUT: F Bright Dike (L Achilles surgery); D/M Jeremy Hall (L calf strain)
    QUESTIONABLE: D Doneil Henry (L knee sprain); D Ashtone Morgan (L hip flexor strain); M/F Dwayne De Rosario (R hamstring strain); M Alvaro Rey (R hamstring strain); F Jermain Defoe (L hamstring strain)

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
    OUT: D Jose Goncalves (R quad strain); M Shalrie Joseph (L calf strain)
    QUESTIONABLE: M Kelyn Rowe (L hamstring strain)

SUSPENDED: none
    INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none

WARNINGS:
    SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD:
    TOR: none
    NE: Andy Dorman

SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS:
    TOR: none
    NE: A.J. Soares

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (16 meetings): Toronto FC 4 wins, 17 goals … New England Revolution 5 wins, 25 goals … Draws 7
    AT TORONTO (7 meetings): Toronto FC 2 wins, 12 goals … New England Revolution 0 wins, 9 goals … Draws 5

RETURN MATCHES:
    8/30: Toronto FC vs. New England Revolution, 5 p.m. ET
    10/25: New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC, 7:30 p.m. ET
    LAST YEAR (MLS):
    5/25: NE 2, TOR 0 (Fagundez 23; Agudelo 93+)
    8/4: NE 0, TOR 1 (Laba 2)
    8/30: TOR 1, NE 1 (Wiedeman 47+ -- Fagundez 2)

* The Revolution have never won at BMO Field, with two losses and five draws in seven all-time visits. But the
    last three meetings in Toronto have ended in draws; the last TFC home win came in 2010.
    * New England’s 2-0 win at Gillette Stadium last May 25 was their first against Toronto FC since 2010, snapping
    a five-game Revolution winless streak in the series.
    * Coaches record: Ryan Nelsen vs. NE: P3 W1 D1 L1 … Jay Heaps vs. TOR: P5 W1 D2 L2

4. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dare I say "Must Win".
    Seriously. Nevermind the percentage. The important stat is we lost 3 of our last four. Really need to get some momentum going or we'll quickly start sinking.

5. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Let's make Paul Mariner cry

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Phrase it as "must" win and I definitely agree with you.

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Saw him walking on King Street today...he didn't look like he was about to cry.

8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    We could try the Daryl Strawberry chant - Paaaaa - auuuulll

9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Better yet, challenge him to a fight.

10. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How about NE losing on a late goal by weiderman - mariner's best finisher of the modern era

11. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Guy from The Sun calling it a "make or break" game. Close enough to "Must" win.

12. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When Gilberto fails he fails spectacularly.

Oh and Henry too

13. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    One more missed chance like that and I'm going to start calling him GilBarretto

14. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Gilberto is having a howler

15. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Great. That's 2 goals now that Henry has caused.

16. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lost 4 out of 5 and World Cup is drawing near.
    Well, there's always next year.

17. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Awful game by Henry and Gilberto, subpar from Defoe and Bradley, and why didn't the coaches tell Osorio to get off the field? Clearly a fairly serious injury. So get ready for more Kyle Bekker I guess

On the bright side, bahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhaaha Bunbury

18. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I didn't consider this to be a "must win" game like some others, but I figured that with a mostly healthy line up, at home vs a beatable team, this was a "should win" game. In the first 10 minutes, TFC looked like they were going to make this a 6-0 game, completely dominating the game and creating a number of chances. Then at some point they went back to their old form, complete with bad giveaways, terrible crosses, and weak weak weak passes.

The most frustrating thing is that NE were playing for the tie and we gifted them the win.

19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll give Henry blame no the first one....sure......but Morrow's insane "clearance" into the middle of his own box where Henry's arm just happened to be is hardly Doneil's fault......have no idea what Morrow was even attempting there!

20. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    KJ kept saying how Henry is a year or two from "Europe". I don't buy that. I do believe he'll mature to be a solid MLS defender, but I think KJ overrates him.

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From watching how the Revs set up to defend, I think TFC has become predictable whether we have 40% possession or 60% possession. We're a counterattacking team. The instances where we were able to build a sustained attack were when the Revs didn't park eight guys behind the ball.

Say what you want about Jackson, but at least he's willing to run at people. There aren't enough guys on this team who can do that to create time and space so that Defoe or Gilberto can get open.

On the topic of Defoe and Gilberto, it looks like the two of them seem to be playing the same role. It looks like both are playing as the lone striker. Kurt Larson mentioned that they're both making the same runs and that's probably the reason. One would hope that Nelson drops one of them back a bit so that they can receive service and do something with the ball.

22. kaiteng

kaiteng Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Was at the game. One of the worst experience I've ever been at BMO Field regardless of the all-star roster. Bugs were all over the place from the start, then came rain, and when the rain stopped then came the bugs again.

The supporters were pretty quiet today, not sure if they has been this quiet so far this season. But the supporters section I used to be was a lot rowdier than that.

23. primus_pilum

primus_pilum Member

May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    saw the last bit, pretty awful. tfc needs some skillful fullbacks. Bloom and Morrow just don't have any delivery on crosses.

24. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    As a person I like Nelsen but watching the last few games with an elite squad I do not think he has the coaching
    skills needed. All kinds of things are blamed except the players and himself. The team should be given a full day learning how to pass a ball. Another day how to control a ball when a pass is received.

The players are telling one another what to do while Nelsen stands mute on the sideline. He needs to be more animated. What goes on in the dressing room or on the training field I don't know so perhaps he lets loose then,
    Still early days but if we are adrift in mid season then surely a more experienced coach should be considered.

25. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You open with calling this an elite squad and then suggest they need to be taught how to pass a ball and control a pass when it comes? Is Nelsen coaching an "elite" MLS squad or a peewee rep team?