Pre-Match/Match/Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC vs. D.C. United - March 22, 2014 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Welshlad92

Welshlad92 Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Still improvements to be made, but when you have Bradley and Defoe in the side more games are going to be won than lost.

FlashMan repped this.
  2. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    im going to go out and say that Bradley may end up being the best player in the league this year...maybe not ever to play MLS...but time may tell there.
    2 things....when you have a guy like that taking charge in this league...you wont be 5-5 after 10 as someone said...you will be the better side of 500....maybe 7-2-1.
    second...no one can match that midfield presence in this league so whether he is the best in the league or not...he definitely will be the best midfielder and having the best midfielder that does what Bradley does will gain us a lot of points...maybe when they wont be deserved, as much as when we are gelling and winning by rolling over less competitive teams (which should come with more games together)

3. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think a lot of us were hoping for 3-0 total domination in this game. But give this team some time to come together.

I like the Gilberto-Defoe pairing up top. Yes there was only one goal scored and it was yet again from a bad giveaway. But TFC's offence created a lot of chances this game. Compare TFC's 6 on target shots and 7 off target vs DC's 2 and 3.

Our defence is looking much stronger this year too. They are closing opponents down faster and working together as a unit much better than in recent years. Once again Julio Cesar wasn't challenged much.

Yes there are a number of things that they have to work on, but there are a lot of positives in these past two games. Next week at altitude in Salt Lake City will be a real test.

4. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A lot of people put way too much emphasis on the possession stats. I'll admit that I'm a guy who prefers to dominate possession, but it isn't everything. We were extremely effective in the final third, and were unlucky not to score at least one or two more. Part of that is due to being able to hit the other teams' back line quickly before they have a chance to get organized. Who's to say that with a more possession oriented strategy we would be able to open up the back line and get those chances? It would require a completely different attacking strategy, and I'm not sure atm that there's anything wrong with the current one. We got plenty of chances to score, and we were organized enough at the back that they never really got a chance.

5. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The control of the game was not there but we didn't really give up a whole lot in terms of chances. Bradley is the real difference for me in the middle, he offers a bit of everything in terms of passing, control, tackling and awareness. Him and Osorio I hope can have a good partnership in the middle as we move forward.

Next week will be a good test on the playing one of the league elite sides on the road.

6. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not too concerned about possession since that will probably improve as the team gels and as playing surfaces improve. I'm especially unconcerned about giving up possession if we never get threatened, which is what happened today. Besides the harmless Silva shot in the first half and that time Cesar got his hand on a low cross in the second, I don't remember DC doing a thing, while we carved them open on numerous occasions. Also, it would be interesting to see how much possession DC had in the final third; it would probably be about equal to how much we had in theirs.
    The main difference is that DC had ZERO penetration and we did. That's why we won

7. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Shots: TFC 14, DCU 6
    Shots on goal: TFC 6, DCU 2

You'll win more than you lose playing like that.

And watching the break that lead to DeRo's chance again today: that's a beautifully executed counterattack by 3 quality players linking up. DeRo to Bradley to Defoe and DeRo is clean through. The whole move starts from a clearance on the edge of TFC's box and is executed in about 6 seconds. If the pitch wasn't so bobbly I think DeRo finishes it too.

Possession would be nice for defending leads, if they can keep the ball safely without inviting counters the other way, but TFC has a coherent attacking strategy right now and our best chances are all coming in transition. I love it.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would agree with this in the long term. But we have to remember we were playing DCU and allowed them to control the ball. This team looks great in direct attack and is very solid on defence but there are some growing pains to come if simple passes and positioning are to be ignored in hopes Bradley will do it all for 90 minutes every game. Against stronger teams you can't expect to hold a 1-0 lead with 20 to go by hoofing the ball down. If we can get everyone to calm down and use each other more then we definitely will be over .500 after 10.

9. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    DCU aren't half as bad as an 0-0-2 start is making people assume. They might not make the playoffs but they won't be awful. In the East there's KC and, from the looks of things, Houston. Columbus are off to a great start and New England (like DC) aren't but are still part of that big middle group. We'll see if NY bounce back this afternoon but I've got questions about any team that starts Eckersley and Convey at right and left back!

True, but a second goal would have probably killed the game off. With more efficient finishing you'd expect that from the chances TFC created so I'm not unhappy. For once we've gotten the rub of the green: two chances and two goals was just enough in Seattle and then, at home, a better offensive performance resulted in less goals but the one they got stood up.

Let's just enjoy it. TFC might not win in their next three and they'd still be "in it". When's the last time that happened?

10. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SKC fan coming in peace here to say congrats on the 2 wins. I watched both games and can say that Toronto is a fun side to watch. Of course all the stars have been impressive but I really have been impressed with Jackson and Bloom. Anyways congrats guys...... here's to seeing ya at the conference finals;)

Polygong repped this.
  11. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Jackson seems to be becoming the new designated hate* figure with the portion of the fanbase who just can't accept that players 9 through 14 of an MLS roster are, more than likely, going to play like players 9 through 14 of an MLS roster.

*Too strong? Probably, but, when they've won their first two to start a season EVER I find the need to pre-identify a scapegoat crazy.

crazypete13 repped this.
  12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    DC are actually a pretty good team this year, massively improved from last year. I like that they gave Kyle Porter some pitch time yesterday, I'm sure he appreciated the chance to play while in his home town, no doubt he had family and friends in the stands.

I for one like the counter attacking style. They only thing I would like to see improved is that there be more forward passes on the ground rather than in the air.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned Osorio. The guy is fearless when he comes up a defensive wall. He worked his way through a tough crowd more than a few times yesterday.

13. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    DavemTFC repped this.
  14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crazypete13 repped this.
  15. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The goal probably was the dream of the front office when they went all DP crazy.....just imagine the marketing guys:

"We'll have this world class keeper, he will be able to find our players with his clearances/kicks.....he will do that and whoever gets it will nod it on to this Midfielder we will sign from Italy (note: doesn't have to be Italian), that guy will put through an absolutely top drawer ball to this young south american guy (preferably Brazilian with only one name) who will control the pass with a sublime first touch and get the shot away....it either goes in or the keeper saves it...if he does we will have a top notch English poacher type guy to slot it home"......yeah, let's try that!

17. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Looks like the fears some had about Jackson as an overly aggressive player have been realized.

According to TSN, he's about to get a one match ban for his elbow to the head of D.C.'s Davy Arnaud.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=447332