Pre-Match / Match / Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC vs. CD Chivas USA - April 14, 2012 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Apr 7, 2012.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

What/When
    • Toronto FC (0-0-4) will return to BMO Field to take on Club Deportivo Chivas USA (2-0-3) on Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 4:30 pm EDT.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio
    And The Match...
    Five Match Trend
    • TFC: LLLLX
    • CHV: LLWLW
    Last Match vs. Chivas
    • September 24, 2011 at CHV - TFC 0 CHV 3
    Supporters Group Match Thread Links

2. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]Soolsma, Koevermans, Lambe, De Guzman, Avila, Stinson, Morgan, Cann, Henry, Eckersley, Kocic [/LINEUP-4-3-3]

I like Plata off the bench right now in a latter game role. Some people may question dropping Johnson but I don't think he's quite right with his play at the moment, attitude wise, but that's just a hunch. Lambe has his shortcomings but I felt he played well enough to warrant another start. Stinson's just a way more athletic ball winner than Dunfield and gives the semblance of a box to box guy. Avila/Silva in the AM spot is more of a toss up (I've never been that sold on Avila but now that CCL's over the team's secondary focus isn't prepping for those specific matches by playing an unchanged side so we'll see if Winter values him).

Cann and Henry? Look, they'll have a whole week of training together and I think that Cann's the best leader of the CBs and though I am definitely not sure about his pace/agility coming back from ACL repair, he'll have some young pace (and big set play aerial threat) beside him in Henry.

Done. Now MLSE can call my people and we'll get a contract worked out a.s.a.p. P.S. I want a sheepskin coat and matching fedora as part of the deal ;)

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I like your lineup. Of course, I like any lineup that doesn't have Harden in it.

4. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like any lineup with a mobile midfield and at least one quick defender. I'd like to see Burgos soon. He seems to be a pretty two way midfielder who can pass well

5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    That lineup would look a lot better with Frings in it.

6. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's such a nice week in Toronto. Oh, I see the forecast has rain for Saturday. Let me guess...TFC is in town. :(
    Have we ever played in nice weather?:D

7. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pretty much agree with that lineup, except I'd star Johnson on the left and either Soolsma on the right, though Lambe wouldnt be a bad replacement. Plata coming off the bench is a good plan

A lot will depend on Cann and Frings being game-fit. For both of them, I'm worried about rushing them back in to much, Cann because he hasnt played in MLS for almost a year and Frings because a long-term injury would be disastrous, and we know how unpredictable hamstring injuries are.

If Frings is truly ready, he should start instead of JDG no doubt. Give Stinson a go either way, maybe even Burgos.

If Cann is ready to go, fine, but Id rather see Aceval if Henry is the other center defender. We havent seen Aceval partnered with a speedy defender yet, so he'll probably be way more useful alongside Henry than alongside Harden. And theyll make up for each other's shortcomings. Aceval is slow but he distributes well, Henry can't distribute, but he's fast and aggressive.

Based on AW's comments, Dunfield and Harden are almost certainly not starting

Oh, and one last thing, one of Silva or Avila had better start at AM, Avila in particular has been underused so far this season. Johnson starting against Montreal probably the most baffling decision Ive seen this year

8. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    starting Lambe over Johnson is a ridiculous idea. i know Winter has tried using him as sort of a #10 but he's a forward- our best forward, and that's all there is to it.

9. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
    Yes we did. It was a spectacular day when we played @ the Rogers Center. :rolleyes:

We're 15 points behind Kansas City already. It's one thing to be awful on the road but we're burning home games here. Let's win one already. One point isn't good enough, we've already hit the point where a draw is a loss. Lots of attention has been paid to poor defending but we've scored 2 goals in 4 games. That puts too much pressure on the defending, let's score a freaking goal already so that the defence can play more confidently. The midfield needs to play good balls to Koevermans and then get in an attacking position so he can play the ball back to them if he needs to. Whether it's Koevermans or Plata or whoever up front, way too often they get the ball and then they're all alone and have to work too hard to earn a scoring chance and inevitably just give up possession. They need to be given a passing option so they don't get crowded by the opposing defenders.

10. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    REFEREE: Mark Geiger. SAR (bench): Joe Fletcher; JAR (opposite): Steven Taylor; 4th: Silviu Petrescu
    MLS Career: 91 games; FC/gm: 26.5; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 18; pens: 31

INJURY REPORT
    TORONTO FC
    OUT: FW Nicholas Lindsay (L knee surgery recovery); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); DF Jeremy Hall (sports hernia surgery recovery); GK Stefan Frei (L lower leg)
    QUESTIONABLE: MF Torsten Frings (R hamstring strain)
    PROBABLE: DF Adrian Cann (R knee surgery recovery)

CD CHIVAS USA
    OUT: MF Marvin Iraheta (L knee ACL); FW Juan Pablo Angel (concussion symptoms)
    QUESTIONABLE: MF Pete Vagenas (rib contusion)
    PROBABLE: DF Michael Lahoud (R hamstring strain)

INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none

SUSPENDED:
    TOR: Logan Emory (through April 14)
    CHV: none

WARNINGS:
    SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: none
    SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS:
    TOR: none
    CHV: Oswaldo Minda

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (10 meetings): Toronto FC 2 wins, 6 goals … CD Chivas USA 7 wins, 19 goals … Draws 1
    AT TORONTO (5 meetings): Toronto FC 2 wins, 5 goals … CD Chivas USA 2 wins, 7 goals … Draws 1
    LAST YEAR (MLS):
    4/2: TOR 1, CHV 1 (Gordon 36 – Moreno 2)
    9/24: CHV 3, TOR 0 (Angel 12, 77; Braun 71)

* This is the only league meeting between the teams this season.
    * TFC’s lone two wins in 10 all-time meetings have come at BMO Field.
    * CD Chivas USA has won all five meetings in the series at The Home Depot Center. Toronto FC has not scored a goal vs. Chivas in Carson since 2008, a span of 330 minutes, shut out on each of their last three visits there to play Chivas (outscored 8-0).
    * Coaches record: Aron Winter vs. CHV: P2 W0 L1 D1 … Robin Fraser vs. TOR: P2 W1 L0 D1

11. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What Scarborough fan said. Even though it's early in the season, this is a MUST WIN. We can't afford anything else.

12. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd love to see something like this tried just to switch things up:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Johnson, Koevermans, Avila, Burgos Jr., De Guzman, Silva, Morgan, Aceval, Eckersely, Henry, Kocic[/LINEUP-4-4-2]
    Or with a diamond in midfield with De Guzman at the base, Avila up top, and Silva and Burgos on the right and left.

Preki-ball time to grind out a win. Putting Henry at RB means we'll have a more stay at home presence there and not expect a 19 year old to organize our defense. Hopefully Eckersley can do the job instead. Starting Aceval is assuming Cann's not ready for 90 minutes and because it's time for Harden to sit.

Harsh on Soolsma who's been decent recently but if he's undroppable we're done for! I don't feel that him or Plata are strong enough defensively for a 4-4-2. They can be kept in reserve to sub up top or wide in the second half.

Sadly, we're only allowed to play 4-3-3.

(As an aside, I'd love to see Cann make a sub appearance late in a comfortable win. If that was to happen I hope the fans give him the cheer he deserves.)

13. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nobody seems to be including Frings in their lineups, according to the other thread he's likely to play (although maybe he won't start).

14. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's only just started training again from what I understand. I wouldn't risk him with a start. Muscle injuries, more than anything else, just need time to heal.

Edit: And now it's coming out at the post-training press conference that he is, on doctor's advice, targetting next week. Too much risk of reinjuring if he rushes things.

15. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Frings won't be playing. He just gave interviews today. He's hoping for next Sat.
    Also Soolsma out with hamstring problems.

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Interesting to note that this lineup includes five Canadians, of which three are Academy grads. The fact that it looks pretty decent suggests good things for the future from the Academy.

17. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Unfortunately, I think another byproduct of the CCL is tired players getting injured.

18. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm thinking something radical like this:
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]Morgan, Koevermans, Lambe, Burgos, JDG, Avila, Aceval, Cann, Henry, Eckersley, Kocic[/LINEUP-4-3-3]
    We need midfielders who can make accurate passes forwards (not always to the wingers) and can find a teammate with their first touch. JDG and (especially) Avila can do that. I'm not sure about Burgos since I haven't seen enough of him, but he seems pretty good both going forward and defending. Also all three of those players can pressure to get the ball back - something that cannot be said about Silva, Johnson, or Dunfield.
    By playing Morgan as a left winger: we increase the amount of service that Koevermans gets, get to play a more defensive left back who wont leave the LCB exposed all the time, and get a left winger who will track back and defend. Morgan played very well when moved there in the second LA game, and I think it's worth trying again. Then later on in the game you can put Plata on for Cann or Aceval and move Morgan back to LB, or put him on for Lambe, or whoever.

19. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Aceval at LB?

21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Clearly, some have already given up on playoffs and are shooting for first overall pick.

I'd go with

Kocic
    Eck-Henry-Aceval-Morgan

Silva - JDG - Avilla - Stinson

Koevermans - Johnson

22. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    yes, from what I hear he played there a lot previously. I think it's worth a try, he doesn't have to push up as much as Morgan.

23. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    OK, here's TFC's starting XI:

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Plata, Koevermans, Johnson, Silva, Dunfield, Lambe, Morgan, Aceval, Cann, Eckersley, Kocic[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

On the bench: Roberts, Henry, Harden, Stinson, de Guzman, Frings, Avila

24. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dunfield again? I hope it really is Johnson up front and Lambe in the midfield because Johnson doesn't belong in the midfield.
    What does Burgos have to do to get into the squad? he was one of the best players in the reserve game vs the cr*w and apparently he was MOTM in the reserve game vs L'impact, but he doesn't even make the bench?
    I'm not to optimistic about this game

According to TFC's twitter, Ecks gets the honor of wearing the armband today

25. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If ya need it, here's Chivas USA's starting XI:

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Bolanos, Moreno, Smith, Minda, LaBrocca, Zemanski, Riley, Pearce, McKenzie, Jazic, Kennedy[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

On the bench: Melia, Valencia, Gordon, Cardozo, Courtois, Romero, Townsend.