Pre-Match/Match/Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC at Seattle Sounders FC - March 15, 2014 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slamma

Slamma Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    TFC looks great so far! Too bad Rey is such a bia#tch!

2. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dempsey gets one back for Seattle. 2-1 TFC now.

4. Slamma

Slamma Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And Jackson is horrible. Haven't seen an attacker botch up so many offensive plays since Jonas Hoglund!

5. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Attendance is 38,441 in Seattle.

It's a safe bet that many of them are just a tad PO'ed right now.

6. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Jackson and Rey have been better than I expected, but I didn't exactly expect much, rey especially seems to have trouble picking out the right pass. For me a major weak point is bloom, he hasn't defended well on that right side for me. Overall been pretty impressed though but right now seattle has serious momentum.

Slamma repped this.
  7. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's still 15 minutes left and we're already parking the bus...

8. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's historically the breakdown point for TFC, in every match.

I see Chad Barrett just came on for Seattle.

9. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Huh? Seattle has been by far the better team in this match.

10. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Morgan now on for Jackson.

11. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And that's it!

2-1 TFC IS YOUR FINAL!

henryo repped this.
  12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    First win on the road since last August. First time we've won the opener on the road.

13. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Phew

Caldwell, Henry, Bradley, Defoe were immense

15. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We won in KC in 2009 didn't we...?

henryo repped this.
  16. Slamma

Slamma Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol this is was one of the best MLS away performances I have seen TFC play in the last 3 years! :)

17. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thought defensively we were pretty sound as well. Was worried about that. Good performance overall...perhaps we sat back a bit too early and let Seattle come to us. As long as we can keep getting the ball to Defoe he can score. Altough....didn't Earnshaw score twice in his debut. ;)

18. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    I know why we won!!! I had three BC Green Apple ciders. That is the secret!! I am invincible . No.. we are invincible .

19. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm glad we scored early because we look really disjointed before that, and still kind of did over the rest of the game, though that's not surprising considering this is the first game and Osorio and Rey are the only attacking players who were here last year. We'll probably be inconsistent between now and the world cup and we need more depth, but the talent is clearly there and the attitude seems to be too (I really think Bradley is a game changer in that regard) Luckily for us, Seattle were much worse (remember when Pappa was available and we thought that might be a good pickup? lololololol). Great start from Defoe though he probably won't face many slower CB pairings than Marshall and Traore. I think the best news besides the win is that nobody on our side was injured on that Clink turf.

crazypete13 repped this.
  20. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Post-game analysis:
    Cunt Dempsey is a little bitch

21. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
    I'm disappointed with Rey's performance, not a good habit to run right at the other team's defender and lose possession multiple times when there are passing options. After years of dreadful finishing, amazing to see how effortless Defoe made it look on both his goals. First time in five years TFC is victorious in the opener. Well done! Also not to be overlooked, perfect pass from Osorio on the opening goal! I wonder how much we'll be able to see him and Henry learn from the world-class players they're playing with and transfer that knowledge not only to TFC but the national team as well. This is huge for Canadian soccer. Sorry, slightly off-topic.

22. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not about to plan any parade routes yet, but no doubt this game should leave us feeling good about this season.

The good:
    - Defoe and Bradley living up to their expectations (and hopefully that continues)
    - Strong performances from young Canadians Henry and Osorio
    - Solid back line, and great job by Caldwell to marshall it- Hard to judge Cesar as he was really only seriously tested twice, saved one. I consider it a good thing when your goalie's performance can't be judged for a lack of action.
    - Although DeRo wasn't stellar, he's showing that despite his age he still has much to contribute.

The bad:
    - Rey and to a lesser extent Jackson
    - We were the dominant team for only 30 minutes of this game. Seattle was the dominant team for 45 and for 15 neither really shone.

The ugly:
    - Clint Dempsey

Still, we did enough with our 30 min to win, and any road win is grand.

23. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry, one more for the bad column:

Seattle's goal: very poor tactics for TFC to be playing that aggressively with a 2 goal lead in the final 30 minutes. Don't know if that was Nelsen's call or the players'.

24. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah I just remembered that. 7 years of losing can do that to you.

henryo and crazypete13 repped this.
  25. Sean L

Sean L Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yeah, Morrow was pinching way too intensely for that stage of the game, especially when Seatlle let it be known they were going to keep trying to drive up the right side as much as possible. If he had just kept Martens in front of him that goal doesn't happen.

The passing was a bit sloppy. That should improve over time with practice and more time together.
    Seattle dominated possession, but alot of that was through safe passing the ball around back. We seemed to be alot more committed to really pressing up field quick whenever we got the ball. Again that's probably a factor of not much time spent playing together. Rey has at least three occasions in the box when he could have passed it and instead tried to take his defender one on one. He doesn't need to do that anymore. This team has options.

Seattle looked more organized and in form. We looked considerably more talented. Especially Bradley. Man is he ever a revelation. Simply runs everywhere is strong on the ball, consistently wins it back and is hard to disposess. Some better first touches from our players and his passing would have looked even better.

Defoe was everything advertised. No hesitation striker that doesn't dump it right into the keeper.

Seattle played super aggressive in the second half, putting 8 guys forward constantly. We did a pretty good job holding the line and defending the box (especially in the air). When Gilberto is out there too, teams are going to find that harder to do. You won't want to leave just your two CBs back to defend both Gilberto and Defoe.

Also I would take Bradley over Dempsey every day of the week. More complete player who just factors into the match in more dynamic and stronger ways. I'm mystified why no BPL squad snatched him up. He's good enough to patrol CM for a good chunk of teams in that league.

crazypete13 repped this.