Pre-Match/Match/Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC at Real Salt Lake - March 29, 2014 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would generally agree, but I think Nelsen is low on options if Osorio is still out. Surely it's Jackson over Bloom on the flank.

Morales killed them, now it's a question of how they deal with Higuain. Will he consider changing systems? I doubt it. (And Columbus does use a 4-4-1-1 with Higuain as a proper #10 unlike RSL's two forwards with Morales underneath.)

But a response to an different post of yours, above the quoted ones, got me to write the article that'd been in my head all afternoon:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?5325-Sunday-Morning-Coachterbacking-Whaaa-Happened

Wouldn't normally spam the boards with my own stuff but I wanted you to see it.

2. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We've been bad for 7 years, and TERRIBLE for three. Let's walk before we can run.

If route 1 keeps TFC organized and is good enough to beat the bad teams we'll stay competitive and I'd be happy for now. This is a project.

3. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And pretty much all of this, with the highlighted for emphasis, too!

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Keeping the habit of route 1 instead of trying to play a possession passing games will cost a ton of games even vs the "bad teams" I'd rather they lost the next few games trying to get to know each other on the field then spend the season throwing Jermaine hail mary's. We'll see what direction Nelson takes them.

5. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To be honest, I don't think they're really playing route 1. Route 1 last night was a reaction to running into a fired-up RSL, missing two important players, and everything going wrong from about the opening whistle. TFC couldn't pass for shit last night and were getting balls picked off in their own end constantly. "Hoof it" becomes a defense mechanism at that point, particularly when you're tiring.

When the system they've wanted to play has worked it's been about quick transitions with the opponent caught out of position after a turnover.

And TFC doesn't have a season to spare. Not after the damage that's been done to this club's image already, and not after the money they've invested. Playoffs or bust, and Nelsen's job depends on it.

ArteEtLabore repped this.
  6. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I enjoyed reading it. The key thing you made regarding playing RSL in their house, and undermanned to boot, is trying to nullify their strengths and have their support players become more prominent. Unfortunately, their attacking maestro Morales was able to find both space and the ball on too many occasions in too many dangerous areas.

Funny how, in the previous matches, the same people (not here, necessarily, but elsewhere on the messageboards) were dismissing the lack of possession but are wringing their hands after a loss.

7. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You know, as disjointed as we were we created a lot of chances. Not as good as the 3 big chances RSL created but we made them sweat a few times. If we can play that bad and still look that dangerous then the season still looks pretty good

8. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, you guys. Very entertaining game, sorry it didn't go the way you wanted it to. Well, sort of.

I was glad you didn't exploit our outside backs. Wingert and Beltran have been having...issues. We've got the inside covered pretty well, with Borchers, Schuler and especially Rimando. The day Nick retires, we're a whole different team.

You've got a lot to look forward to, once your team jells. It might come together for you as quickly as it did for us, once Kreis took over, but in a very different way. Hope not. ;)

It's been a good back-and-forth with you folks, here and on our board.

Cheers.

9. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree, although I'd argue that it's more than just Nelsen's concern. The entire organization knows that this season is their one chance to get the fanbase back onside. They cannot afford another year of rebuilding or experimenting.

10. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good points. In all seriousness, this 3-0 didn't feel like the ones of the past few years where tfc didn't ever look like they were in the game. Yes, they were outplayed, but the game wasn't devoid of positives.

11. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I bet if Bradly shot went instead of went out and have them score the 3rd only minutes latter I think it would of been a different game but we didn't deserve to get anything out of that.

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    In previous years, the keepers had to make many saves off of too many top quality shots, especially during Stefan Frei's time but the other recent keepers as well. Some of those results and "close" losses were shooting galleries.