Pre-Match/Match/Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC at Real Salt Lake - March 29, 2014 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It'll be interesting to see if Bradley is even more effective going forward with a more defensive minded partner.

2. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuning in to watch my new favorite MLS side.

How has attendance been this season for Toronto? Is it on the rise considering the signings?

3. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    no Osorio :sick:, the first starting lineup said he was playing...wouldn't have bet as much on TFC had I known, oh well

RSl is missing some players as well

Apparently this match is on ESPN in Brazil, surprising/interesting. I suppose Julio Ceaser has a lot of support there and then Gilberto as well.

4. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    lol doneil henry wtf

5. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He was perfect in the first two games so it was only a matter of time before he made a mistake. But holy god almighty Doneil there was no reason whatsoever to make that challenge. wtf

6. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At this point I'll be shocked if we finish with 11 men

7. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was saying a while back TFC are going to need more depth, and in particular a wing midfielder to go along with the stars, I still back what I said. And yeah RSL is really good too, this is pretty much game over..

8. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know he's going to the world cup and he's Brazilian but Cesar clearly is nowhere near as good with the ball at his feet than Rimando

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Why is Bekker buried so far down the bench? You all need a possession player, from what I can tell.

GoodDead repped this.
  10. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Caldwell could have gotten a red.

11. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Gilberto is running on empty, get him off

12. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh ******** Defoe

13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just got in....tuned in....ugh on the score but feeling better about the "quality" of the pitch at BMO Field last week now.

Did the Argos have an exhibition game in Salt Lake last night?

14. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bekker vs Beckerman!!!

15. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well I'd forgotten what the typical feeling you get when watching a TFC game is like. Good to have that back :thumbsdown:

adrenaline11 repped this.
  16. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Party like it's 2013

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #42 GoodDead, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    So exactly the same problems as the first two games. Our defenders do not know how to pass. They only hoof the ball back to the opposition. Morrow stands out as the absolute worst guy to have the ball at his feet. It's a shock he is playing at this level based on defensive positioning and ball winning alone because he is totally useless with the ball, space and time. Our midfield besides Bradley and Osorio (who was out injured) are not much better, even Rey does some selfish nonsense instead of simple plays. RSL out played us much like Seattle and to a lesser extent DC because they make simple passes and look for space and to support off the ball. We stand around and hoof the ball aimlessly, I've seen poor mens league teams do less of that.

Interestingly enough we had a lot of close chances, including a Bradley inside post and several attempts in the box that went wide but wouldn't go in. Reality of that is RSL was already in full control and allowed us in. At one point in the second half it seemed RSL was begging for us to score giving us the ball and all kinds of space in their zone and our players had no clue how to use each other.

All and all, about what I expected. Like I said before, if after 10 games we are .500 and starting to pass more and retain possession we will be ok. Anyone who thought or thinks being a counter attack team giving up 60% is a good idea or something sustainable are being brought down to earth right about now. Also those who think having Bradley and Defoe in the lineup would help us stay above .500 alone will be in for a shock as well. RSL may be a top team but it doesn't matter in the long run, any team that can string passes will beat us more often then not unless we start doing the same. Bekker should have come on much sooner, we need someone who Bradley can pass to or receive passes from and help distribute.

Columbus will do the exact same thing to us so the hope is we can narrow the possession down and start being more cohesive. A win or a draw is not likely if we plan on long ball to no one.

18. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Well, that's exactly what happened, anyway, except it was the supposedly better defensive presence of Hall in there. In the end, TFC got the worst of both scenarios: overrun in midfield but also little service or constructive possession.

19. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    Saturday was poor although Salt Lake were a good team. If the best we could do was hoof the ball upfield in the hope someone would latch on to it then it failed as Salt Lake did most of the latching. We need better coaching.
    We were half a second too late in many instances. DE RO seems passed his best. Bekker was an improvement when he came on. Would Bendik be better in goal?

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    He moved the ball around in his usual fashion but I really think you have to look at it in the context of RSL being in cruise control and having their foot off the pedal with a three goal lead during the time he was on. And yet, they were still able to generate some dangerous moments in front of the central defence.

With Osorio out for awhile, I expect to see the management bring in a few more journeymen midfield trialists (like O'Rourke). Also, you wonder if the league office may have another look at Caldwell's booking and see if it warrants further action.

Speaking of Caldwell, I notice that his former Scotland manager, Berti Vogts, was hanging out with Klinsmann in one the suites last night. I wonder how they got on during Caldwell's international call ups?

21. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    While I think Bekker will have a chance of earning a start against Columbus if Osorio is still out and he has a good week of training I wouldn't read too much into the final minutes of last nights match. RSL were cruising by that point and, with time winding down and TFC no threat, had taken their foot well off the gas.

22. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I really should refresh to see what others have posted before I type a reply, shouldn't I?

23. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    No worries.

I just don't think Nelsen rates (nor ever will rate) Bekker as a significant contributor for this club. Your thoughts?

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't know if Bekker will start but one thing is for sure, Hall shouldn't start in midfield. I can see Bradley turning into a long ball only player if no one will be there in support while Osorio is out and that route 1 crap doesn't produce league challengers any where in the world anymore. I think this is where Nelson has the most problems as a manager. IMO Former players that were tough but not technical Defenders do not make good managers unless their team is already very technically sound, because they do not focus on passing and possession. Our positioning isn't bad but the decision making and support has been pitiful for guys who are professionals in MLS in 2014. It isn't 2004 the league isn't route 1 hail mary's anymore.

25. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I get the feeling from the start the team wasn't sharp and it showed for most of the game. Bradly/Hall were simply out run in the middle by RSL, especially by the fact both Bloom and Rey were really poor out wide which ended up resulted in Gilberto/Defoe getting little to no service. RSL are a top side in this league and for us to have a chance of getting a result we would of had to play our best game which wasn't the case.