Pre-Match/Match/Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC at Real Salt Lake - March 29, 2014 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What/When
    • Toronto FC (2-0-0) will pay a visit to Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah to take on Real Salt Lake (1-2-0) on Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 9:30 pm EDT.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio
    And The Match...
    Five Match Trend
    • TFC: WWXXX
    • RSL: WDDXX
    Last Match vs. Real Salt Lake
    • June 29, 2013 vs. RSL - TFC 0 RSL 1
    Supporters Group Match Thread Links

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We're in tough for this one, no doubt, but it's nice to have a squad that amkes us think that we can nonetheless pull out a win.

3. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm predicting a 1-0 loss on a late goal scored by Joao Plata's transfer fee.

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Firstly, that RSL Logo is outdated.

Second, this is a bigger test then Seattle IMO and a game I figure we will lose. Salt Lake is a good team at home and play a very good possession game. I think it would take 3 goals to get a result. But if our back line passes instead of hoofing the ball away maybe only 2 goals for a win. Just hoping RSL doesn't find and exploit a ton of holes in our system because Columbus is next and they pay attention to details when drawing up their game plan.

Sabra repped this.
  5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If forced to put down money, it would be on RSL. They will probably win. That said, with this year's TFC team, it is only probably, not certainly as would have been the case in the past. Perhaps a draw?

6. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Plata is injured for the record, though not sure about how fit his transfer fee is :p

atlanticTFCfan repped this.
  7. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Probably in better shape than Laurent Robert, or Colin Samuel.

atlanticTFCfan repped this.
  8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even I'm in better shape than Laurent Robert and Colin Samuel.

9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even Mista is in better shape than...

....oh wait, nevermind.

10. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That really sucks. While I think we might have some decent options to replace him, none of them provide the same energy and defensive cover. I think he's been a lot more important than a lot of people want to give him credit for. I think our top options for replacing him are:
    INF is finally signed and plays (like for like swap, though not at all the same style players)
    Oso moves out wide and either Hall or Bekker plays next to Bradley. It would be great if playing next to such a high quality player who works his tail off lights a fire under Bekker's ass.
    Morgan plays LM and Rey moves back to the right (where I think he's better anyways).

Not sure I like the option of breaking up that midfield partnership of Bradley and Oso after just two games, but it also might not be bad getting some of the other CMs some experience playing next to Bradley. Because come WC time, we're going to have two CMs not playing next to Bradley, and they're going to have to pick up the slack.
    I also think Hall gets a lot more hate than he deserves. He was a terrible fullback, but as a CM, he holds his own IMO. Sure he makes the odd mistakes and gets caught out of position as a result, but I think due to his bad reputation that he got as a fullback, people pick on his every mistake. Whereas Bradley has made his share of mistakes resulting in being caught to far forwards, but no one mentions it because no one has any reason to not like him yet. My point? I think Hall can cover a lot of ground, break up play, and is a pretty decent passer of the ball. Overall he's a decent CM option.

DavemTFC repped this.
  11. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agree with everything here except maybe the Morgan at LM part. I'll add that I think the INF signing is nowhere near as good as most people think it is. If he couldn't make it in the Australian league because of the physicality, how is he going to make it in MLS? I think people have been overly positive in part because in Canadian, and in larger part because he's replacing Lambe but I'm not at all convinced INF is an upgrade over Lambe. For all the stick Lambe gets plus his international status, he's been a dependably hard-working (but unfortunately toothless) player for us the last two seasons. INF, based off his training camp interview, looks like he thinks the league will be a cakewalk, which is kind of hilarious considering MLS would be by far the highest level he's ever played at

12. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Plata out does move the odds a bit in our favour i think. he's been one of their bright stars up front

13. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played pretty ragged soccer last week and the pitch is still recovering from the winter. I'm not sure we'll see a beautiful game, especially with Toledo at the fore...

Then again we had a barn-burner last year - so who knows - hopefully more of the same without the melee.

Frankly I'm excited to see your rebuilt TFC side. Let's have a good match!

atlanticTFCfan and Polygong repped this.
  14. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    REFEREE: Baldomero Toledo. SAR (bench): Mike Rottersman; JAR (opposite): Fabio Tovar; 4th: Drew Fischer
    MLS Career: 167 games; FC/gm: 25.2; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 60; pens: 61

DISABLED LIST:
    REAL SALT LAKE
    OUT: F Robbie Findley (R knee); F Joao Plata (L hamstring)
    DOUBTFUL: M Sebastian Velasquez (L hamstring); D Aaron Maund (hamstring); F Jordan Allen (L ankle); D Kwame Watson-Siriboe (R knee); F Devon Sandoval (R foot)
    PROBABLE: D Chris Schuler (R ankle); GK Nick Rimando (back spasms); M Javier Morales (back)

TORONTO FC

OUT: F Bright Dike (L Achilles surgery)
    QUESTIONABLE: F Jordan Hamilton (R hamstring strain); D Jeremy Hall (R hamstring strain); M Jonathan Osorio (R hamstring tightness)

SUSPENDED:
    RSL: none
    TOR: Jackson (through March 30)

INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (12 meetings): Real Salt Lake 6 wins, 15 goals … Toronto FC 4 wins, 10 goals … Draws 2
    AT SALT LAKE (6 meetings): Real Salt Lake 5 wins, 14 goals … Toronto FC 1 win, 7 goals … Draws 0

LAST YEAR (MLS)
    6/29: TOR 0, RSL 1 (Alvarez 45)

* This is the only league meeting between the teams this season.
    * Real Salt Lake took a 1-0 win at BMO Field last June 29, the only meeting between the teams, the club’s first win ever in Canada.
    * Since a 2-1 TFC win in the first meeting ever between the clubs, in 2007 at Rice-Eccles Stadium, RSL has won
    five consecutive home games in the series.
    * Coaches record: Jeff Cassar vs. TOR: first game … Ryan Nelsen v RSL: P1 W0 D0 L1

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I didn't realize RSL's sick list was quite so long. That will help balance Jackson and (if he's out) Osorio to some extent.

16. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I didn't, either. To be honest, I was surprised at how many players were listed. I didn't expect to see that many.

17. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was more surprised to discover that someone still has aaron maund in their lineup.

18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If there is a full-back moving into mid-field I think you are far more likely to see Bradley Orr playing on the right side in front of Bloom and Rey playing primarily on the left. I think Rey is more effective on the right for about 10-15 minutes per match....depending on how long it takes his opponent to figure out just how weak he is with his right foot and that he is always gonna try and beat them inside. Whatever advantage TFC gets from that brief spurt on the right side is probably not enough for them to get over the difference in confidence level management has between Orr and Morgan.....I think Morgan has fallen pretty far in their estimations.

Another option, of course, is just to play DeRo wide left.....while it would be exciting to see DeRo/Defoe/Osario/Gilberto/Bradley on the pitch at the same time....it is probably far to aggressive/attacking of an approach to take in an away match against a very good/tough opponent.

19. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Except Rey is right footed. Quite heavily so. That's why he's better on the right. When he plays on the left he constantly cuts inside, and it isn't nearly as effective.

20. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    If Osorio and Hall are no go's, then I wonder if Nelsen will opt to go with DeRo in more of a central attacking mid role with Bradley supporting him, and then start Orr on the right side of midfield to provide more of a defensive presence, Rey to go on the left. Is Nakajima-Farran available to come off the bench for this match or will he be in the press box?

22. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know that I'll get mocked for suggesting this, but perhaps maybe give Kyle Bekker a try?

TFC Ajax repped this.
  23. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I think the question is: does Nelsen want to give him a try?

24. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'd start Bekker in CM any day over DeRo. Bekker has quality, he just needs a bit of a kick in the ass. Playing next to Bradley could potentially do a world of good for him. DeRo in central midfield would just be a disaster. He doesn't have the legs for it, and would allow RSL to more easily choke off Bradley since he would be forced to stay back, and would be the lone player back. DeRo likes to stay high on the pitch and is unlikely to drop back much to be a secondary outlet when Bradley is covered. It'll result in us getting overrun in the middle.

25. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    OK, here's TFC's starting XI (now brought to you by Expedia ;)):

[​IMG]

On the bench: Bendik, Hagglund, Morgan, Bekker, Nakajima-Farran, De Rosario, Wiedeman.