Pre/In/Post: Revs @ Red Bull, Match 7

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree :p :)

2. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    That's because New York bunkered for the last 60 for fear of giving up a goal.

3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I honestly think that Henry probably wouldn't have even gotten a shot off had Reis just stayed in his net.

4. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got around to watching the game, and find myself in the minority who thought the Revs showed some good stuff. It's funny, because result-wise, this team looks very much like last year's. But in terms of the play on the field, this is a team showing us some vastly better, more entertaining soccer. Leaving aside the first 20-25 minutes, where the Revs looked just awful, I thought everyone played a pretty decent game. Sure, there are things to quibble with, but I thought we showed pretty good movement in the second half. Bottom line, at least the team is watchable again. And I think the results will come.

(By the way, am I the only one who thinks Runstrom will do absolutely nothing this year? I'm predicting he scores a solitary goal.)

5. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree they are showing good stuff. . . much better than last year. Only one problem so far, and it is not McCarthy, Tierney, Jay-keeping-Shalrie at CM, Rowe needing motivation.. The problem is plain and simple: no one has finished their chances. The team is well organized, has defended well (9 ga in 7 games), keeps possession (60% thanks to 80% passing). Out of that good play, they have been so-so at creating chances and bad at finishing.

If they don't get frustrated and don't get discouraged, and if Heaps doesn't panic and start making drastic changes (like putting his DP CM in a new position and benching one of his promising young players), the good play should sooner or later produce goals, and points.

I'm encouraged about the play this year and the talent on the squad. All we need is some goals (getting the calls on hand balls and take downs in the box would help get it started).

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't against you Bob ... but f'in A, why can't we have everyone in training camp together so we don't have to be making these comments every damn year. :mad:

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think though, they'd be pinned back all day, had Henry not gone out hurt.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has to be considered ... Henry left in the 25th ...

9. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sir, ask for totally TOO MUCH!!

=)

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a fair point, though I'm not sure Henry, good as he is, could by himself rattle the Revs to the point where the last 70 minutes would look as bad as the first 20. My view is the Revs got off on a bad foot and it took them a while to find their game.

11. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Henry is far and away the best player in the league right now. He makes Kenny Cooper infinitely more dangerous too. The game completely changed when Henry got injured.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I agree on both points.

I have yet to see anything from Runstrom, in preseason or regular season, that has impressed me much. He hustles, but that's all I've seen so far.
    Even if we had, it would still take a long time. New coaches, more than half the team is new ... it's going to take a lot of real games to playing well consistently IMO.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it might not have taken this long. Any little bit that helps is a plus. After this weekend, we'll already have finished more than a quarter of the season.