Pre/In/Post: Rapids @ Revs, Match 8

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 29, 2012.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs have their first weeknight home game of the season on Wednesday against Colorado (4-4, 12 points). The Revs are 2=5 on the season, with a paltry 5 goals scored. Three of those were in just one game, so the Revs have scored just 2 goals in the other 6 games combined. Ouch. The Revs also have just one clean sheet in seven matches. The Rapids will be coming in fresh off a 4-0 shellacking at home over Chivas.

2. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams play a possession game, but Pareja uses the better formation to accompany that style, a 4-3-3. If they outpossess the crap out of us on our own turf, maybe that'll give Heaps the idea to try that formation that I know at least a few of us would like to see. I could totally see Sene playing as an attacking winger on the left who could roam more centrally when Benny drifts out towards the left.

3. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that will catch my attention is Shalrie in for McCarthy, Benny where Shalrie played.

That change would completely change this team's shortcomings and would show us what this squad can do.

No other changes needed IMO.

4. sputnikorbust

sputnikorbust Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this.

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Colorado played more of a 4-4-2 vs. Chivas, with Cascio and Cummings up top.

Actually, it looked more like a 4-1-3-2, too narrow for a true diamond, to counter CUSA's tactic of overpopulating the midfield:

-------Cascio-------Cummings------
    ----Castrillon----Rivero (Hill)----Mullan------
    ---------------Big Red-----------------
    Zapata----Moor----Wynne-----Kimura
    ---------------Pickens----------------

Incredibly, they had Casey and Hill (two goals) come off the bench. And they have another strong Colombian midfielder (Henao) waiting in the wings.

Zapata is a great left back for them, we should be jealous. He shut down Miller Bolanos cold.

Cascio was very impressive.

Our best hope is that Pareja rotates the roster or puts out a more conservative formation. They're gonna be flying after that result.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this as well but I feel Heaps is will stick with SJ in the midfield

7. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so, then Heaps is not capable of learning well from experience. The word is that he is a pretty intelligent guy, so let' see if his personality allows reasonable room for that intelligence to shine on the soccer field.

From what we saw of his playing days, it is not obvious that this will be the case.

8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I wonder if we are in the same boat that Clavijo was with Harkes. Harkes getting past his prime would not play where he was then suited...and Harkes was captain so Clavijo was more reluctant to take him off even when he was killing our team.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

9. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Shalrie thing was the one element I was worried about with the Heaps hiring - as friends and playing contemporaries during would Jay make the tough decision on Sharlie's role with the team, a decision many could have predicted when Shalrie's play was clearly declining throughout 2011?

He was a traffic cone in the midfield during the NY game and may be the slowest player speed-wise in MLS now. CB is the only spot where he fits since that spot relies more on proper positioning, soccer smarts and physicality than pure athleticism/coordination. I like Jay but I would have had more trust in Ralston or an outsider to re-assign Shalrie when it mattered.

10. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I'd like to see some fresh faces in this one without completely losing fluidity.

--------------Moreno-----------------
    --Cardenas-----Nguyen------Guy------
    ---------Simms-----Benny-------------
    Tierney---Soares--McCarthy/Joseph-Alston

Cardenas seems to be itching to prove himself after not seeing any minutes recently. Benny has played better in a deeper playmaking role which he seems to prefer as well. Nguyen played mostly central or right side in Vietnam, let's see if he's more comfortable there and can develop something with Moreno around the box.

I can't decide on Shalrie or McCarthy. Pros and cons with both.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering this is Game 2 of 3 in 8 days, this (or Saturday) wouldn't be a bad chance to check out some of the depth on this team, since you won't start the same group all three games.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sun will be out during the tailgate tomorrow, low 50s, high 40s about game time.

13. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto to that. There are plenty of players who could use a rest, I suspect. Besides, a new combination of players might reveal some pleasant surprises.

14. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we can finally see what Michael Roach brings to the table

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, BigSoccer is going down for upgrades tonight, and might not be back up tomorrow till who knows when ... so we'll have to see if this'll be up by game time.

16. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

And it could be a subtle way to "bench" certain players.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injury report out.
    And for Colorado...

18. dtrave

dtrave Member

Oct 2, 2000
    Sharon, MA
    attendance

Predicting a very sparsely attended game - wouldn't be surprised if announced is ~6000 and actual is 947.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  19. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very precise figure there, attendance. If you hit it you deserve a more than fine beer.

20. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shalrie has been active in this game. Unfortunately.

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I feel for the guy. It looks frustrating. His feet just can't move as fast as his brain thinks. At best, he's one of our 3 worst players on the field right now. If you're looking at upgrading certain positions this summer, Shalrie might be one of those guys (along with Tierney) that you look to upgrade.

22. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sene is rapidly becoming my favorite Rev. He seems to pop up everywhere, and while sometimes he tries to be too clever, he manages to create chance after chance. If only we could do something about his hair.

23. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

We're winning? :eek: We're winning! :D

Cardenas has earned a starting spot, imo. Poor Alston, there was a close-up when he emptied his stomach.

24. ATF487

ATF487 Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Millis, MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Whoa, this new board is nuts

Good win though, especially liked Sene's goal. Wish more went out to see it!

25. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nice win. Shalrie had a poor game - would get caught high up the field and Colorado would play around him, or he couldn't transition from defense to offense quickly enough to get involved in the attack. I think the only way he should be starting is at center-back, but McCarthy is looking pretty good there.

I would have liked to see Diego come on for Cardenas. They are similar players - fast & tricky, small. I got to think that the reason Diego isn't getting on the field is he must not be defensively good enough for Heaps.