Pre/In/Post: Columbus @ Revs, 6/16

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jun 9, 2012.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bye this week.

Didn't see a 6/16 cowbus game thread so here it is.

Interesting interview with Heaps, where he shares thoughts about whether or not he plans to move Shalrie around, his analysis on McCarthy at CB and the allegedly "active" search for better players this summer.

2. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, the Celtics are done :( . So sporting focus for me is 100% on the Revs the remainder of the summer (haven't cared about the Sox since 2009.)

Anyway, on-topic, the Crew are a weird team. I look at their roster and see no one of note outside Chad Marshall and Eddie Gaven, and it seems no Crew players ever really get talked up by MLS at large. However, they're 4th in the East with a respectable 5-4-3 record and have a couple big upsets to their name so far. I don't *think* they've had a nationally televised game this year yet so no opportunity to even see them. Maybe it's the coaching? However, that's contradicted by a long-running "Fire Warzycha" thread on the Crew forum.

I kinda want to see the same lineup as the Fire game, since it seems to improve Benny's contribution to the attack. Since Simms seems to be slow recovering from his injury, it might be best to keep him on the bench until/unless we're protecting a lead. Big question is whether to start Cardenas or Rowe, although since they both have different playing styles you could always sub one in for the other depending on the flow of the game.

Lechner might be ready to go for this game - while he obviously won't start and didn't impress in his limited time so far (the FCD game and part of the LA game), since he can play any position on the backline I hope he's available as well and can get some minutes to get a better read on his ability.

Slightly related, has anyone noticed Heaps has made a grand total of zero defensive substitutions that weren't injury-related this year?

3. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think that's as it should be... in general I think defensive subs should only be used in case of injury, red card, or in rare cases if an attacking sub has a matchup advantage (like Jan Koller subbed on vs a short central defender). When coaches throw on additional defenders to defend a lead, it can lead to the "you got him/no you got him!" problem.

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with you on Benny. He was impressive from a deeper lying position against Chicago. Would love to see him sit there and find open guys in that role, although Simms has done a stellar job all year and doesn't deserve to sit. Based on Chicago, I hope Heaps starts Rowe because Cardenas did absolutely nothing. He's a bust so far even as a sub, in my book, unless he starts producing goals/assists ASAP. Running around, losing possession and making bad passes shouldn't be enough for a SI to stay on this team, let alone start.

Serious question - why do you really want to see Lechner get game action? Tierney is terrible but I'm not sure Lechner is an upgrade at left back. This may be harsh, but I really don't ever want to see Lechner or Lozano on the field for the Revs again.

Heaps hinted that McCarthy's durability was why he stuck with him at CB, in context of Lozano's inability to stay healthy. It seems like he's reasonably happy with his current back four of Tierney, McCarthy, Soares and Alston, although he defended McCarthy in that interview pointing to Alston's inability to provide cover as a factor in the goals McCarthy got absolutely schooled on (home vs DC and at NYRB). I don't agree with him but Heaps's opinion is the only one that really matters.

5. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A few reasons. The first is I don't think his limited time so far is a 100% true indicator of his ability. The one full game he played against Dallas, he was matched up against arguably the fastest player in the league in Fabian Castill0 - that guy could make any defensive player look bad on pace alone.

I don't think our backline has played so well that we're beyond tinkering with our existing starting lineup. Lechner has played at a higher professional level than any of our defenders, and *may* have the positional intelligence that Tierney and McCarthy lack. While slow, Lechner's speed is still comparable to those two as well. Plus, since he can play CB, LB or RB, and is making essentially the league minimum, wouldn't it be nice to see if he can make the $240k Lozano expendable before writing him off entirely? It would be nice to have some kind of visual proof.

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think they've been especially cautious with Simms, given the two-week break, so he should be ready to go and, given his impact prior to his injury, needs to be on the field (and should give us a big boost IMO).

A lot will depend on his level of conditioning, but I think his return could be the start of this lineup really starting to click (Moreno should be starting to settle in, Rowe/Cardenas have shown that either one can start or come off the bench, Simms legwork should provide the time and space for Joseph to use his superior soccer-intellect, ...).

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope Heaps does not start Moreno. Would be content with Sene alone up top and something like:
    Sene
    Nguyen-Simms-Shalrie-Rowe
    Benny
    Tierney-McCarthy-Soares-Alston
    Reis

I like Benny in that deeper lying role better than further forward. Should be interesting.

8. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So, does anyone know anything about the Columbus Crew? Anything at all?

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wail, a couple of years ago, I called their fans "a bunch of toothless inbreds" and one of them came in here all boasting that he had all (or at least most of) his teeth.

What's that saying, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king? All I could say to the guy was "Congratulations, your royal highness."

So one Crew fan is taking to his buddy.
    "Ah dunn finded mah wahf in baid wif anuvver may-in"
    "Yew bitter?"
    "Yup, an ah bit him, too!"

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Oddly enough, I was talking recently to a neighbor of mine who is a Crew fan. I told him I had walked by his bedroom window the previous day. The shades were up, and he and his wife were making mad love. I averted my eyes and moved on. He told me: "Haw! The joke's on yew! I wasn't even home yesterday!"

11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Injury Report Time~!

QUESTIONABLE: Sainey Nyassi (R hamstring strain), Alec Purdie (L adductor strain)
    OUT: Zak Boggs (R ankle sprain), Ryan Guy (R calf tightness), Tim Murray (L knee arthroscopy), Clyde Simms (L ankle tendonitis)

Lechner and Runstrom come off the Injury Report, Purdie upgraded.

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's likely the only one. You know why I know this to be true?
    Because it's in Cowbus where they invented the TOOTH-brush.
    If it had been invented anyplace else the invention would have been called a TEETH-brush

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I had said before the Fire game, I'll say again ...

Once again, this is a big game for the Revs in regards to the standings. Revs are currently 2 points behind Columbus, and the Crew have a game in hand. Don't want to fall 5 points behind, lose the head-to-head and still have the Crew with a game in hand.

Columbus hasn't been too bad on the road, with a .500 record at 2-2-2. They're not scoring much at all, with just 13 goals in 12 games, and have given up the same amount. They've definitely been playing very well since May started though, going 3-0-2 including a win at Seattle, and ties at San Ho and at Portland (two tough places to play).

They haven't played a league match though since May 26th, so there should be some early rust.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a less exciting team in this league than this year's iteration of the Columbus Crew? Typing this literally induces a yawn. Revs win 2-1.

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to see that Nyassi appears to be approaching match fitness. I wonder what happens then?
    Do we waive him? Heaps spoke of moving him to forward.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was the same Crew fan who came home and found his wife in bed with another man. He said, "HEY! What the hell are you two doing?"

His wife turned to the other guy and said, "See? I told you he was stupid."

RevsFanDan repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High of 69, low of 51 on Saturday ... should be another great night for a game.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're actually playing well ... and these boards are dead. What's going on?

21. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're all on a Revs-protest for as long as the City Islanders are still in the Open Cup. They can win the I-95 Triple Crown with a win over Philly on 26 June. You'll hear back from us then

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, am excited about a beautiful night, a team that plays well at home, and making fun of the Crew.

23. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering the same thing -- did the party move somewhere else and I didn't get the word?

I'm excited about tomorrow's game -- I'm bringing 15 college students, none of whom are New Englanders and almost all of whom have never seen a professional game. They say they are going to paint their faces and join the fort.

I've been anticipating the game for two weeks -- does Heaps really have the team on track? I like his comments about the LA Kings. Another model would be RSL the year they squeaked into the playoffs and then won the cup and emerged as a powerhouse.

In advance of today's injury report, assuming Sims is out another week or two, the only questions are who starts on the right (Cardenas or Rowe) and who gets the last two spots on the bench?Maybe:

Moreno, Sene
    Nguyen, Shalrie, Benny, Cardenas
    Tierney, McCarthy, Soares, Alston
    Reis

Bench: Shuttleworth, Rowe, Lozano, Barnes, Brettschneider, Nyassi, White (or maybe only one of the two speed guys and Rundstrom)

Nice to be in the situation where Heaps can think about what kind of options he wants on the bench.

And nice to be wondering what kind of signings we'll see this summer -- I do believe they'll bring a person or two in. Anyone care to fresh us on the rules about signings -- when can they sign people?

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can sign people anytime they want, and other teams already have. Those players just can't play till the window opens.

25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    European Championships, of course ;) [ducks]