Pre/In/Post: Chicago Fire @ Houston Dynamo 7:30 PM CST July 3, 2012

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by ponte_la_naranja, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2012.
  1. Houston Dynamo win by two or more goals.

13.6%
  2. Houston Dynamo win by a goal.

36.4%
  3. Tie.

13.6%
  4. Chicago Fire win by a goal.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Chicago Fire win by two or more goals.

4.5%
  6. I miss Dominic Oduro and his lack of goal finishing skills.

31.8%
  1. josescorp

josescorp Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Great idea to have an updated sheet. I brought a friend on Tuesday and gave him sheet with the songs but realized that the songs we were singing were not on there. I agree the final minutes of the Toronto game and tuesday have been the best so far.

2. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dropped my ipad and damaged it this morning.

I thought I heard a friend tell me that his cousin's wife heard somebody say that EL BATALLON was disrespectfully playing their drums this morning while I was in the shower.

I blame my broken ipad on El Batallon's drums. You drummers owe me $800.

JC507 repped this.
  3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Relatively simple solution to the SG "timing issue," have a liaison who is not consumed with drumming or singing or whatever, with the "musicians," cell phone in hand. Someone in the stadium who knows when the anthem, fireworks, or other respectful periods are going, calls/ texts the liaison, "stop drumming the anthem is about to start."

Either that or re-configure the timing where you're either in the seats or out of the stadium altogether when the pre-/ post-game moments arrive.

People generally enjoy the atmosphere, but it's the little things like competing SGs creating caucophony or the anthem-type respect issue that need to be worked on. And I still think there should be a move towards creating things the whole stadium can get involved in, because the present efforts are these very "plastic" corporate suggestions that are top-down Europhilic nonsense (stand at this point or the other, we say the first name you say the last......). The people who already create the large-scale, organized, bottom-up atmosphere are more likely to be able to get those around them involved.

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a match that was a 6 pointer on the table, our guys left with just a snack. 1 point at home off the team we are chasing ain't good.

Let's see what the K.C. match delivers.

Dale Dynamo!

5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    yes, please.

btw, i agree with those that say there's no way we're playing a true 4-3-3*. teams actually score goals in a 4-3-3 no matter how ineffective the personnel. :)

although, we'll see a real one this week with SKC.

6. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -EB was not playing during the Anthem, they were playing a little bit in the moment of silence, but that was because they were in the concourse and didnt know. They stopped very quickly when they figured it out.
    -I thought the veteran singling the National Anthem was cool. I almost got choked up. You know when that guy was singing the words, he MEANT them.
    -Ashe, still had his turnovers, but he has several dangerous crosses. It was better from him.
    -This formation is not Davis friend. He has to play too centrally and play small passes rather than be wide and whip in his dangers crosses.
    -This formation is not Bruins friend either.
    -Best atmosphere so far at BBVA.
    -Vamos Houston was a hit. It was the closest thing to a stadium-wide song that i have seen. Especially when they cut out the horns and it was just clapping. I could hear it all around. 1/3 of my section was singing, the rest were at least clapping.

redinthemorning and JC507 repped this.
  7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would just note that Bruin had two good chances and two poor chances Tuesday night out of the 4-5-1. With reasonably better finishing he could have had one or more goals and possibly an assist.

8. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winner winner !!!

9. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just looks out of sorts. Hopefully that improves with time if Dom keeps this formation. I guess it's a trade off for not conceding 3 goals. But I don't think that continues with Garcia on the right and the tweaks made in midfield.

10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the way the Dynamo look in the 4-5-1. They get pressure on the ball in MF much better. Damn Dynamo were winning balls in MF against Chicago.

When they have the ball they break pressure on the ball much better than before. Davis, Camargo and Boniek all excel in tight spaces.

Looks good to me for every player on the field.

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'd say that the Kinnear-Klinsmann spin on the 433 is the problem not the 433 per se. If we were either willing to move players around, or put in more attacking players, or commit more to offense, I think it would benefit Davis and Bruin. But the way we're playing it on defense it smushes down to a 451, Davis is crowded inside as someone noted, and we're almost more defensive than we would be in a 442. Which IMO is also resulting in the Wrong People getting more of the important touches, which leaves Bruin sans service. In fact, it feels like we're bypassing the midfield with "direct passing" (to be polite) and then getting them involved by passes back which is 442-ish.

All due respect to the Coreyites but he had the one sharp ball Bruin headed wide, out of about 10, the rest were average, overhit, etc. Hainault in particular was just launching them. We have a gentleman on the payroll whose speciality is hitting crosses. I am doing Chicago a favor by letting Corey practice crosses rather than getting more serious balls in from Davis and Boniek.

If we end up back in the crossing rut we might as well go 352 or 442 to give you 2 central targets instead of one. This is one reason I see Kinnear as Capt. Pushbutton, is surely the Old 442 Ballcoach must have noticed the 433 cross game wasn't working, but he instead subbed in more crossers. The Clark sub was a waste, and I think it'd have been more helpful to add Ching to Bruin than to play lone striker. Cause with 2 forwards that cross overhit to the first guy maybe gets down for the second. But if it's one target you overhit it you're done unless the wing saves it. I'd like to see him reacting to the situation more.

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-3-3 is a nice idea....if you have the outside backs to pull it off. We don't. Ashe can fit in that system, but no way Andre can. Very frustrating game. We've got to start winning some games.

13. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i have a theory.

could it be that Mac is throwing Bruin's rythm/timing of his runs off? he already had a good understanding of where Ching was going to be and where the ball was going to arrive to most of the time. Mac is so busy with step-overs that go nowhere that you don't know whether to start a run or get out of his way.

14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think this is possible. I also have a another theory/concern. Bruin likes service from the wings; not necessarily in the air but he is great at finding separation ala Ching. The new formation has advantages, but one of the puzzling parts to me is the personnel. We have two true wingers for the first time in ages and our first reaction is to play one of them up high (OBG) and pinch Brad into the middle?? I am no coach, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me that we are relying on service from Ashe and Andre. Brad just had a career year playing very wide . . . . he hasn't been getting chalk on his heels all year and now we move him in? Confusing to me and is certainly going to impact the type of service to Bruin.

anderson, Hydro and *rey* repped this.
  15. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe right, but he did also score his first game into the system. So the centrally thing is a give and take, especially since he pinches in all the time during the 442 as well.

16. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with your premise on service though in my understanding your wingers are really OBG and Kandji in this formation. I'd think that BD and whoever's opposite him (generally Camargo) would have the freedom to roam either in or out as their skillset allows while the center mid generally drops back into more of a holding mid position. As Brad isn't the fastest guy in the world he tends to squeeze to the middle and let Ashe overlap.

Absolutely correct that Bruin isn't getting the needed service though, you can tell he's not as comfortable in this formation like he is in the 4-4-2. It's pretty ideally suited for his abilities, however, if he gets more familiar with it I think he could do quite well (assuming more service from the wings).

anderson repped this.
  17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah.....regardless of the formation at kick....the majority of the attack has been pressed by Andre and Ashe the last two games. It seems....off.

18. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big ups to everyone in EB. Y'all were very welcoming. I'll be back for the DC game!

The_Ponce and JC507 repped this.
  19. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for coming over, and I apologize for not being able to talk to you some more.

20. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries at all man. The last thing I wanted to do was hold you up all night haha. There will be many more games.