Pre/In/Post: Chicago Fire @ Houston Dynamo 7:30 PM CST July 3, 2012

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by ponte_la_naranja, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2012.
  1. Houston Dynamo win by two or more goals.

13.6%
  2. Houston Dynamo win by a goal.

36.4%
  3. Tie.

13.6%
  4. Chicago Fire win by a goal.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Chicago Fire win by two or more goals.

4.5%
  6. I miss Dominic Oduro and his lack of goal finishing skills.

31.8%
  1. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the record, I had no issues with the supporters groups yesterday.

2. El Baboso

El Baboso New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was late to the game last night also and walked in when EB was walking in and I did see the drummers stop playing...

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Boniek impressed me, but seems like he needs fitness. I also think Davis and Boniek are not being fully exploited. All due respect to Opta and its proponents but if you have those two fellows and then Corey and Hainault overhitting a lot of crosses, I think I know who I'd prefer on the ball, whatever "successful crosses" the stats suggest. Corey did have one nice ball in headed wide -- credit for that -- but he also had plenty of standard issue. And big picture it needs to be considered that might have been the Fire's game plan -- bunker back, force us to hit low percentage crosses in, and pressure the mids where it's the wingbacks who end up free to "create." At which point coaches earn their money. At which point Kinnear put in Clark, who was generally a waste and put a shanked period on the end of the game. [Odd, we seem pretty content with a home tie when road tie home win is like the whole justification for our way of operating. The Fire by that logic got their result and we never broke through with all the "successful" crosses. Fire are a good team and it's a decent result but......]

I feel like Bruin (or Ching) up top alongside Boniek and Kandji is a racey car, Nissan 370Z (not quite Porsche or Ferrari yet, little clunky for that), but the people setting them up in the midfield right now, particularly Camargo and Moffat, that's like a darned farm tractor. The ball was routinely skipping the mids by hoofball or direct pass, and the backs were getting a lot of crosses. That feels inefficient, we need to look at getting a little more attacking punch and energy in the midfield. If it's a 433 that means maybe Boniek goes back or Ownby comes in right. I think if you go back to the end of Philly it's just a tad halting of possession play, we're very direct. It's a 9th place team playing like it and we might very well make the playoffs this way, but if we have aspirations we need to be able to possess the ball and break down a defense short of Hainault and Ashe whacking crosses in. That might even work some weeks with Bruin and Ching heading them but it's not a cup-winning approach. How many times did we hit a square ball straight upfield and just lose it? More combining, more overlapping. But you can't do that playing DMs as 2 of the 3 Ms in a 433.

I'm also going to be interested, particularly if Cameron goes, in whether Kinnear keeps this squad well-rotated and formation-mixed. With CCL coming up and not a lot of hints we will be making further acquisitions, this may be a very hands on managing test for the balance. The tinkering is good IMO but this is not going to be a standard issue XI, pushbutton sub, we can get away without seeing what the rookies have kind of year. 433 and Ownby might be the least we should try to see if we can juggle all this and make it work. He's gonna have to do something like this every week. [Signing someone would be easier but is it in the cards? If not, then manage he will have to.]

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Added thought, last night might have been a good night to switch to a 442 late. If Kandji is tiring and to be subbed, and what they're giving you is crosses aplenty, why not leave Bruin in, sub Ching for Kandji, and have Boniek/Ownby and Davis on the wings like a usual Dynamo game, trying to cross them in to a two headed monster instead of one?

5. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wrong

6. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which part is wrong? Doubt you care to explain, but how do you know EB was playing and not someone else? I was right there and saw all the instruments and they weren't playing. Where were you at during the National Anthem?

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo have an open roster spot, with cap space, and have stated on numerous occasions that they are looking to add a player, and that they have publicly acknowledged trying to open discussions with a good young FC Rangers player which was reported in Scottish press. The Dynamo have repeatedly stated that they want to make another acquisition.

8. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anything become of that?.....(I just discovered you can't use bold on the iPad, don't understand why not)

9. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Which part is wrong?" = you

"where were you at during the National Anthem?" = standing, hand over heart, singing

10. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jc507,

The truth is EB was playing during national anthem and maybe even during the moment of silence. Yes. It wasn't the whole time. They did stop after realizing it was going on
    EB was not in their seats yet though. It was EB because of I'm 100% sure it wasn't TA. I sit literally a section over.

But stop hatin on everyone dude. We ain't out there to get you and you're coming out sounding pretty rude.

11. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was asking where u were not what you were doing.
    I ain't hating on anybody but one fool who is always talkin shit. Every time there's a situation he's the first to point fingers. I can't speak for the moment of silence since I didn't even know there was one so that's definitely a possibility. As far as the national anthem I was in the stands and the rest of EB was in the tunnel. I walked to the tunnel when they asked everyone to stand for the national anthem. It took all of 2-3 seconds to tell everyone to stop.

If it sounds like I'm agitated and irritated its because I am. I asked him where he was to determine if he could even identify if it was EB or not and he doesn't reply, only that I'm wrong but doesn't state which part. Whatever. I'm done with it.

12. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, I think I started this but I didn't mean to. I know a lot of the time, but not this game, EB is playing during the Anthem. This only happens when they are marching, though, and you can tell they stop when they find out the Anthem is playing. I have no complaints. This game if I remember right they were playing during part of the moment of silence, but again they were marching and again they stopped. Again, i think I'm remembering right. I have no complaints about any of that.

I started this by mentioning they were playing during the fireworks, which I still think showed disrespect. But i wasn't very bothered by that, either, since I wasn't that close to them.

Sorry I brought it up....

JC507 repped this.
  13. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fireworks video. Didn't catch the first 3 seconds.

I do sit close to EB and they were playing the whole time but you can't really hear any of it.

14. NicaMexicano

NicaMexicano Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Houston
    Props to whoever passed out lyrics to 'vamos..... vamos Houston' . I heard a good majority of the stadium singing around 80th. I was shocked beyond all recognition of
    my actual ability and sang out loud with you.

Not that it's what SG's are about, but I do believe we're on the verge of a stadium wide canta

el nordissimo and JC507 repped this.
  15. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't spread out but If it becomes a 80" min tradition. That would be epic.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  16. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no need to apologize. Someone brought it up before and it brought it to my attention. I can guarantee that after I read it here I made it a personal responsibility of mine to watch out for that. The anthem has more of a significant meaning to me than most so I've made that clear to my group. When it happens it's out of accident and I wish bbva staff would help out by stopping sales in the concourse and acknowledging during those 2-2:30 minutes. When you're next to a drum it's hard to hear anything besides what we're playing. But I am now keeping an eye (ear) out for the anthem. As far as the fireworks I don't know how I feel about it at this point. I've gone back and forth. I thought it added to the atmosphere but can also understand other people saying they just wanted to just enjoy the show. We got compliments from some, even stafium personal who in the past have been an obstacle in everything we do, and obviously complaints. We'll look into and see how we move forward.
    I passed them out to 234 and a few of the other sections. Gonna try to get a full list by next home game for everyone.
    we were gonna try let's go dynamo to finish the game but after last night were gonna try vamos Houston and see if it clicks.

17. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That explains why I heard more people. That makes sense. I didn't know you had done this. I don't think I even said hi at the tailgate, though. Sorry about that. I also saw Levy2k6 around our area and forgot to say hi. It was a weird day. The game, atmosphere-wise, was the best since Robertson, and slightly better than those last 10 minutes of Valencia.

18. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the guy you brought to the tailgate, TJ, and his friends asked me if I had some lyrics and luckily my girl still had a few copies so I started passing them out. Song after song I realized there is way too many not on the song sheet so Friday I'm sitting down with the mad genius grenas and getting it all down on paper and then printing out a lot for the DC game.

As far as the atmosphere, it's a toss up to me between this game and the final 20 of the Toronto game. Everyone talks about the Valencia game but I think many forget how loud everyone got towards the end of the Toronto game before bruin scored.

19. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awesome idea. i hope this happens. outreach and inclusion works both ways and i'll think you will find most of the fans are wanting to participate with you. I hope this idea works and continues in the future

20. NicaMexicano

NicaMexicano Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Houston
    Was it, in fact, the 80th minute? I'm pumped for more of this.

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's any chance that anyone would play over the national anthem deliberately. It's just an accident that happens in SGs sometimes because the drums, trumpets, etc. are loud and it's just very hard hear the PA most of the time, but especially while you're still making your way to the stands. I've seen it happen elsewhere. The only way to ensure that it doesn't happen is to make sure that everyone's in the section before the national anthem starts, so that someone can keep watch. Believe me, I understand from personal experience that getting everyone to stop tailgating before they really want to and get into the section early, let's just say, poses some challenges. I get it. But that's just the only way to avoid stepping over the anthem accidentally.

It would also help the cause if the people staffed at the designated SG entrance don't act like they've never seen drums or instruments before. That seems to happen and it slows everyone down. I'm sure there are some difficulties with ensuring consistency every time from the stadium staff. But there are clearly some staff who are there every game. I recognize some of the staff from Robertson, where they were at every game. Maybe having some of the staff who have a track record of understanding what's going on would help. I don't claim to know what's going on internally with the staff that handles the SG gate matters. Just a thought.

Also, in terms of the fireworks music, I think part of what bothered some people was that some the music happened to be the anthems of the various armed services. That music is more similar in people's hearts to the national anthem than to some random pop music that they often play at fireworks shows. Again, I don't think that anyone would deliberately play over, say, the Marine Corps. anthem. It's just often hard to hear what's going on.

JC507 repped this.
  22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Playing over "The Marine Corps Hymn" and "Anchors Aweigh" probably didn't win some people over I agree. Luckily most people in the stadium couldn't hear them over the hymns.

JC507 repped this.
  23. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The_Ponce, ra azua and JC507 repped this.
  24. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruin has been largely ineffective in this 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 whatever the hell you want to call it setup. This is not Football Manager! Anyway, can we go back to the Bruin Ching combo please?

25. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We started it before the 80th and had something else planned for the 80th, but the crowd seemed so nvolved we didn't want to change it. Now seeing that the crowd can get into that song we're gonna try it late in the game and see if we can carry it into the end of the game.