Pre/During/Post Match Thread | MD4 UEFA CL | FC Viktoria Plzeň v FC Barcelona | 01 November 2011 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

Date

Tuesday
    the 1st of November 2011

Time

Barcelona (CEST), 20:45
    LOS ANGELES (PDT), 12:45
    MONTREAL (EDT), 15:45
    LONDON (BST), 19:45

Convert to your local time

Stadium
    Synot Tip Arena, Prague

[​IMG]

[B]Google Street View of the Stadium[/B]

FC Viktoria

FC Viktoria Plzeň is a Czech professional football club based in Plzeň. They currently play in the Gambrinus liga, the top division of football in the country.
    As runners up in the 1970–71 Czechoslovak Cup they gained the right to play in the following season's UEFA Cup Winners' Cup as winners Spartak Trnava also won the championship and played in the European Cup.
    In 2010, they played in the UEFA Europa League after winning the 2009–10 Czech Republic Football Cup.
    In 2011, the club won the Czech league for the first time, and will participate in the 2011-12 UEFA Champions League group stage when due to UEFA stadium requirements they will play their home fixtures at Stadion Eden/Synot Tip Arena in Prague.

Previous Match

[​IMG]

Barcelona beat Plzeň 2-0 at the Camp Nou on matchday three and with another victory will secure qualification so long as FC BATE Borisov fail to beat AC Milan in the other Group H fixture. Bottom-placed Plzeň's hopes of progress are already faint and their elimination will be confirmed if they fail to at least match Milan's result in Belarus.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V26y2uCVPso"]Barcelona 2-0 Viktoria Plzen [Highlgihts HD - UEFA 2011-2012] - YouTube[/ame]

Match background

• Pavel Vrba's Plzeň have played four home games so far in this first UEFA Champions League adventure – beating FC Pyunik (5-1), Rosenborg BK (3-2) and FC København (2-1) in qualifying before drawing 1-1 with BATE on matchday one.

• Prior to this season Plzeň had only played two European home games in their history, against FC Bayern München (0-1) in the 1971/72 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup first round and Beşiktaş JK (1-1) in last season's UEFA Europa League third qualifying round.

• Those two fixtures, together with the ties against Pyunik and Rosenborg, were played at Plzeň's Stadion města Plzně. Prague's Eden Stadium has been their base from the play-offs onwards but at both venues, the club have failed to keep a clean sheet in Europe.

• Ominously, Barcelona won 5-0 at BATE in their first game on the road in this season's UEFA Champions League. It was the third in a row in the competition for a team who have lost just one of their last seven European away fixtures.

• Barcelona's away record against Czech sides is W2 D1 L2. Their overall record reads W7 D1 L3.

Team News

Alexis Sánchez will return on the weekend against Bilbao and won't make this match. Pedro and Afellay continue to recuperate

Dani Alves is one yellow away from getting a suspension (if he gets one in this match, he'll miss the AC Milan match)

Right Click on the image and click on View Image to view the full-size images.

Post-match stats to follow

2. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Pre/During/Post Match Thread | MD4 UEFA CL | FC Viktoria Plzeň v FC Barcelona | 01 November 2011

Group H Rankings

1. AC Milan, +4 GD, 7 Pts
    2. FC Barcelona, +7 GD, 7 Pts
    3. Bate Borisov, -7 GD, 1 Pt
    4. FC Viktoria, -4 GD, 1 Pt

GD = Goal Difference and Pt = Points

Per Match Stats

[​IMG]

Pass Types

[​IMG]

Shot Zones

[​IMG]

Right Click on the image and click on View Image to view the full-size images.

Visca'l Barça

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pre/During/Post Match Thread | MD4 UEFA CL | FC Viktoria Plzeň v FC Barcelona | 01 November 2011

I think that Puyol's days of playing fullback are over, so if that was the starting defense it would look like Adriano-Masch-Puyol-Abidal and be a fine defense. Of course if we wound up truly playing a 3 man D, then Puyol might still have some wider responsibilities - e.g. Puyol-Masch-Abidal across the back, Adriano more of the hybrid midfielder/winger.

I gather you are thinking of resting Alves so that he does not pick up a 3rd booking and miss the Milan match which makes sense.

Word is Xavi was in the stands as his calf was injured, not yet clear if he'll play. Pep just said: "Xavi is not injured. He's just suffering from small discomfort and fatigue, he's much better than he was on Saturday."

Alexis may get cleared to play but certainly won't start.

THIS will be Pep's 200th game coaching Barca and, if they score 4 it will be 500 goals in 200 games.

4. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I figured something must be up when Xavi was in the stands. I think we will play Alves, just because we can't let points slip away before the match against Milan. They are going to be bunker and try to hit on the counter. Iniesta and Cesc were rested on the weekend and I think its because Pep is expecting a very tough match. Your commentary is very intriguing and yes I guess its Masch in the middle (or Pique if he's ready). So if Pique is ready and Masch is to, out of curiousity, how would you figure the D would look?

5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks, I think Pep just said (or maybe it was even Pique) that Masch is the MVP of the D so far / best central defender. High praise. For me the beauty of Masch at CB is that he brings most of Puyol's skills and also Pique's skills to the position - for Puyol that is speed, positioning, guts and timing to make many great last-ditch tackles. For Pique it is much of the same great positioning plus the on-the-ball skill to be the outlet from D up to attack (whereas most of the rest of the defenders, esp. when pressed, are mostly comfy playing it amongst themselves, back to VV or marginally up to Sergi B. So Masch can play wonderfully with Pique or Puyol or Abidal or even Busquets or Fontas, whereas I would not expect to see too many Puyol and Abidal pairings, or too many Pique and Busquets pairings. The former has lots of speed but lacks Barca-level on-the-ball skill; latter has plenty of that but both lack for pace.

In this game Pique is on record as feeling ready to play the whole game, no reason to think Masch isn't too, Puyol probably feels ready as well. While we could play Pique and Puyol together, the beauty of the Masch skill set is that he can start next to one and finish next to the other. That's what I predict. Abidal starts at LB, either Alves or Adriano at RB - I'd prefer the latter so we know we have Alves against Milan. If the RB bombs forward I'd expect either Masch-Pique-Abidal aided by Busquets at the rear, or Puyol-Masch-Abidal across the back also aided by Busquets (point is Masch more mobile to play wide if teamed with Pique, but Puyol goes wide when he is with Masch). Thiago also keeps an eye on the opponents left wing channel if he's in. I figure Xavi rests, Busquets teams with Iniesta and either Thiago or Keita in the middle; then Messi, Cesc, Villa up front.

6. Don Nurilio

Don Nurilio Member

Sep 28, 2009
    E u r o p e
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Solid choice , but if it were up to me i would start Cuenca im really impressed with how he seem to fit in right away. Maybe the new Pedro who knows? :rolleyes: How old is he btw?

If Alexis get's cleared , then sub him in the last 20 mins or so..

7. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Cuenca is 20 years old. I don't think that he'll start today though!

8. Don Nurilio

Don Nurilio Member

Sep 28, 2009
    E u r o p e
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Perhaps not , but got my finger crossed :) he's older than i thought, haven't seen him for Barca B last season though? was he behind Nolito, Soriano, Benja in the pecking order?

edit:
    .. just read that Alves is one yellow card away from suspension, and we play AC Milano next. I hope Pep doesn't play field him today, he seems to be booked often lately.

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  10. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Fulltime
    BATE 1-1 Milan
    0-1 Ibrahimovic 22'
    1-1 Bressan (pen) 55'

Milan ...... 8 pts
    Barça ..... 7
    BATE ...... 2
    V.Plzen ... 1

If Barcelona can win today they will be assured of advancing to the knockout round.

11. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cuenca was at Sabadell last season getting major PT and helping them re-join Segunda. Surprisingly he only scored 4 goals for them in 32 games. Here's the rundown from Wikipedia:

Cuenca joined FC Barcelona's La Masia in 2003, aged just 12. Halfway through his third youth year, however, he returned home and joined local CF Reus Deportiu, remaining with the club a further two (full) seasons.
    Cuenca finished his formation with CF Damm and Barcelona, rejoining the latter in 2009. He made his senior debuts in the 2010–11 season, being loaned to yet another Catalonia club, CE Sabadell FC in the third division.[1] He made an immediate impact, starting in 24 of his appearances and totalling 2,288 minutes as the Arlequinats returned to the second level after a 18-year absence. In June 2011, Cuenca returned to Barcelona and joined its B team.

---
    I thought he looked very good in the last game when he mostly played on the right, but was not really impressed the game before that when he played more on the left. But maybe he was more nervous the first full game (after joining the last Plzen game as a late sub).

Here's what I think we'll see for starters (though I'd play Adriano for Alves and Thiago for Keita) but this is my guess at what Pep will play:

VV
    Alves - Masch - Pique - Abidal
    Cesc - Busquets - Keita
    Villa - Messi - Iniesta

12. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    CONFIRMED starting lineup

from uefa.com

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Adriano, Messi, Cuenca,
    Thiago, Busquets, Fàbregas,
    Abidal, Puyol, Piqué, Alves,
    Valdés[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

SUBSTITUTES:
    Pinto, Maxwell, Mascherano, Keita, Xavi, Iniesta, Alexis

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That draw BATE managed is so huge as it means that with a win today (not a given), we can merely draw with Milan and beat BATE at home and we'd emerge in first place in the group. Of course I don't think Pep really knows how to bunker / play for a draw, but the point is, if we handle Plzen and BATE we no longer need to beat Milan or rely upon goal differential to be first in our group. Thanks BATE!

14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: CONFIRMED starting lineup

Wow, so much for me getting in Pep's head, but that lineup is awesome on so many levels. Love that our best 6 defensive players from last season are all starting - haven't seen more than a few minutes of that this season if at all: VV, APPA & Busquets at DM.

The remaining 5 are a different story (vs. last years first choice eleven of XI, VMP) but include Messi and a whole lot of new talent Cesc, Thiago, Cuenca and the versatile Adriano.

Just love this squad and its depth and versatility.

15. Don Nurilio

Don Nurilio Member

Sep 28, 2009
    E u r o p e
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: CONFIRMED starting lineup

Thanks for info Gilmango, cant rep :/ ...

I had my fingers crossed for Cuenca, i can do magic :p .. Nice to see Pique-Puyol at the back, feel sorry Masch though i guess he needs a rest. Alves is playing, which is not good news, hope he keeps it clean.

Vamos!

16. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat

Looking forward to this. :)

Btw, would have liked to see Iniesta up front, but have to admit Adriano's been playing well. And with heart… :cool:

17. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Josie! Benvingut de nou!

18. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat

Moltes gràcies Andrés! ;)

19. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  20. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Big surprise to me is Villa not even making the bench, especially after being the only player to score in all 3 of the CL games to date. But Villa needs rest too and will no doubt start and be relied upon in Bilbao this weekend, plus Alexis is no doubt chomping at the bit to get some PT up front in the 2nd half so having another forward on the bench was not necessary.

21. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Hola Josie! Estic d'acord amb el VEB. Molt de temps sense veure!

22. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

For the first time this season Fàbregas, Messi and Piqué start together!

23. Prowl

Prowl BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 24, 2011
    Calgary, AB
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Woot!!! Looking forward to watching them all

24. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

8 Canteranos playing! and Xavi, Iniesta on the Bench!

25. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's go! :D