Potential Names

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by Lithium858, Mar 2, 2011.

1. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Well, that's a bit tricky...I don't think we know for sure if it's CAN'T or WON'T at this point.

I know the LA Blues are giving it a shot, but there aren't many teams on the West Coast who could survive financially in a league where your entire division consists of teams in Puerto Rico and Antigua, with the only "short" road trip of the year being to Dayton.

Not even getting into the difference of fees for joining the USL, that's a heck of a lot more travel expenses to join a league where the level of play isn't different enough for the casual fan to care about or probably even notice.

2. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Good response

I always thought that the lower divisions should be broken down into regions, and then the winner of each region would play in the playoffs. Seems that the two or 3 states where soccer is huge(california, texas, NY/NJ) dont even have teams in the 2nd division is lame.

3. Jabez Ramone

Jabez Ramone Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Southern California
    It should be regional. Other countries do this, or have done this. I think they still do it in Germany, where the distances are nowhere near as great as they are in the U.S.

The problem is that to make a regional league system happen, you would have to have some real leadership from the U.S. Soccer Federation.

4. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Absolutely. Minor league soccer in the US (at this point) doesn't generate enough revenue to sustain a full-season, national, league (for that matter, MLS barely even does for a lot of teams). The minor leagues really do need to be regional to give teams a fighting chance at sticking around and creating some sort of stability. So what the NPSL and PDL are doing as far as their league structure goes is probably the best way for now.

I would love to see a SD team (or two) in the "higher" minor league divisions, and I think eventually we will if there are enough other teams in the region joining the league to make a true SW conference. For now though, I would rather see teams take the approach they are now, which is to play in the league that is truly regional and less expensive, take it slow, gain a fan base and good solid business foundation, and make a jump upwards when and if the time is right. Better that than traveling internationally to play your conference games and folding after a year.

5. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I agree. I want soccer to stay for many years. Great turn out yesterday for Flash v Boca. This is what SD needs for our future.

6. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I agree as well. I think Brazil has an intresting State structure competition as well, Im sure California soccer would benefit from this, maybe you can even include the reserve MLS teams in a state competition.

7. boredbobby

boredbobby Member

Nov 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regional Soccer in lower divisions with promotion to MLS. Think of how much investment would go into lower leagues and squads to gain promotion to MLS! MLS is trying to sling its 20th franchise for $100M if we had promotion that $100M could be used for player salaries + down payment for stadium etc. Club failure rate will continue to fail unless we open up the pyramid.

San Diego should not submit itself to MLS's policies of rigid, suffocating wage caps. I hope NY Cosmos develop/join NASL and create a league that most soccer fans want.

8. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    The NASL is still on probation and until they can show USSF stability it will continue to be on shaky ground. The USL Pro is shaky as well. They had to bring up their division 2 to fill in the loss of the NASL teams. Many of them are very weak. NPSL is a good answer to better competition without the expense of USL. NPSL is run by the owners and not some millionaire jerk.
    We do have a state competition that was started a few years ago by Cal South. They have state Cup Open Men's division. Some of their winning teams get spots in the Lamar Hunt Open Cup. It is getting the teams to enter. If fact State cup has either begun or its next weekend.
    So there is competitions out there.
    NPSL has a couple of spots in the Open cup too.

9. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin

I'd like to see this logo in red and yellow with the San Diego Armada name on it.

10. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one has said "Arsenal San Diego." The military presence is San Diego is huge. Arsenal S.D. has a nice ring to it. Arsenal's away colors are totally San Diego. San Diego should just take Arsenal's home and away, and then flip em.

I do like San Diego Armada, but I think "The Armada" would be a better name for the fan base.

I suggest Arsenal S.D.

11. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Please, no more Euro names, this is a North American league. San Diego Strikers might be more appropriate.

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surf is a youth club name here in San Diego. It was also the name of an NASL (I) team up in Anaheim. Frankly, copyright-be-damned, I'd love to see Chivas USA get its own stadium down there, and if this wanted rebranding ever takes place, rebrand it to Surf.

As for San Diego, it would be fun to see "Flash" resurrected as an actual pro club.

Yellow needs to be a team color. Torn between black and medium blue for the other. I'd say white as well, but that's a neutral color that could apply to all teams. I just liked the Flash's old white jerseys back in the Delta era.

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why not blue & yellow halves for the shirts, and black shorts? Would be pretty different to anything that's out there, though Leeds United had blue & Yellow halves with white shorts up to the early 60s when Don Revie changed to all white.

14. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the the way Europeans do it because it places more emphasis on the city/region the team represents as opposed to a mascot. It's not trying to be euro, but tired of mascot names, for Example Sporting KC is a much better name than KC Wizards.

Arsenal is a strong name, Armada is a strong name. They roll of the tongue easy.

San Diego Sockers just sounds cheesy
    And I could only enjoy Flash is they played this at every game
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyytwbcPjJg"]YouTube - ‪Queen -Flash Gordon-‬‏[/ame]

15. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sounds so little league.

16. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Armada sounds awesome. Copying Arsenal is not gonna happen.

17. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    That is so funny OMG!!
    Send it over to the Flash!

18. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Eldorado San Diego

19. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I think youth club names should stay with the youth clubs. There are a lot of choices out there, there's no need to poach.

'Surf' is for an OC club if they ever get one. I can't say I like importing it for San Diego. Besides, we've already come up with a better version, or have you forgotten? Dude, San Diego Surfriders FC!

It already has been, no? (Hint: it's in your sig.)

20. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but I meant in San Diego. NPSL teams, TMBR, are not pro.

21. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Well, maybe the San Diego Flash and Western New York Flash can be 'brother and sister' clubs, if the SD Flash ever reach the pro level.

22. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Threadbump, Well my other vote is now going to Armada. Love the idea for Red & Gold colors.

In case we need a revised list for a future poll (speculators got to speculate.)

I think these were the most popular "Others;"
    Fleet
    Destroyers
    Armada

And I think Jaws is dead in the water.

23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    La Armada de San Diego? No esta mal.

24. ENCINITASjon

ENCINITASjon New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I like the idea of having the name precede the city....

Mission San Diego
    Arsenal San Diego

Here's one of my inventions:
    "The San Diego Reconnaissance" a.k.a "San Diego Recon"

25. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1683287&page=5
    ...keeping names in he name thread.

The name Sockers itself did get 13 votes, "other" got 25, but I don't know if other is splitting hairs. It's certainly got more support than boca and flash as a name.

Wait, San Diego Other, that's a great name! ;)

Good to hear Arsenal get support. Although I'm not to fond of mission, every time I hear "mission" and "San Diego" I picture lethargic priests reading the bible.

...Actually if we want animal mascots, what about San Diego Otters? It came to mind after I made the corny "other" joke.