Potential Names

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by Lithium858, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I like armada. Sounds very nice.

2. eldanielo

eldanielo New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Well nomads sound really good, the reason i don't like it as much is that i relate it to the youth club......
    but it's a nice name..Thank you for the compliments on the design,
    i messed around an came up with a unique jersey as well idk...
    just my shot at it, you guy's go ahead and give it a shot as well :p
    [​IMG]

I think we should keep these colors...i really like them and they resemble the flag...kinda looks like Roma FC

3. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's a cool looking jersey. Nice work.

I've got to say, I think my favorite name for a possible SD MLS team is Nomads, although I imagine the youth club has the name trademarked or registered in some way. It would be cool though if any potential ownership group would work with an already existing club like Nomads, to tap into the soccer knowledge, resources, and infrastructure that already exist there. It could work similarly with either the Surf or Nomads, but I like the name Nomads better and I think it has more historical significance for the area (soccer-wise). Nomads actually had a pro men's team in the late 80's; I have no idea if they would be interested in getting involved in something like that again.

It would be the first time (this hasn't happened before, right?) that a youth club spawned an MLS team. Think of the advantages that would hold for them as far as developing "home-grown" players, already having thousands of kids flowing through their system, and already having two Academy teams. It would put them (from a player development standpoint) on level terms (or possibly even above) older MLS teams who are now going back and trying to retrofit a youth system into their club.

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that idea. It would be cool if the Nomads became a MLS team and turned the youth club into an academy ala the Cosmos. Although the team would be doomed from the start if attendence was bad...they could just leave San Diego like their namesake haha

5. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    nomads is growing on me for some reason :D

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why not the club name nomads and supporter group armada, or vice versa
    even though armadas and nomads have almost nothing in common...:p

7. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone try to make a jersey with the Nomad's logo? This is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

Or you can use this one too:

[​IMG]

8. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Honestly Derrick is never going to share that name without having ownership rights and no one is going to pay for that. Let's be business minded here.
    As for the academy, any academy club can hook themselves to an mls team and the name does not have to match. This happened in Seattle with Crossfire and Sounders.

9. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Forgive my ignorance, but what do 'Nomads' have to do with San Diego?

What's the connection, if any?

10. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Great question! Here is our connection. Nomads is one of the oldest youth clubs in San Diego. Here is a link. Check out the number of pro players he has currently or retired in MLS.

http://www.nomadssoccer.org/

It is run by Derrick Armstrong and their family.

Players Playing Professionally
    Eric Chaisongkram - LA Galaxy, SD Flash, Rajapracha FC Thailand
    Shannon McMillan - San Diego Spirit
    Paul Caliguiri - LA Galaxy (MLS)
    Frankie Hejduk - Bayer Leverkusen (Germany), Columbus Crew (A-League)
    Jovan Kirovski - Crystal Palace (English Premier Division I
    Marcello Balboa - San Diego Nomads, Colorado Rapdis (MLS)
    Eric Wynalda - Chicago Fire (MLS)
    Steve Cherundolo - Hanover 96 (Germany)
    Joey Martinez - San Diego Flash and Sockers, Miami Fusion (MLS), Milwakee Rampage (A-League)
    Paul Wright - Baltimore Blast
    Mike Demco - San Diego Sockers
    Toby Taitano - San Diego Sockers
    Kevin Legg - San Diego Sockers and Flash
    Paul Gelvezon - San Diego Sockers
    Chugger Adair - San Diego Sockers
    Adam Maurer - San Diego Flash (A-League)
    Jerome Watson - San Diego Flash, Colorado Foxes (A-League)
    Nate Hetherington - San Diego Flash (A-League)
    PJ Brown - San Diego Flash (A-League)
    Jeff Duback - Boston (ASL)
    Steve Boardman - Baltimore Blast (MLS)
    Yari Allnut - New England (MLS), Rochester Rhinos (A-League) and US Olympic Team
    Sean Bowers - Kansas City Wizards (MLS)
    Mike Duhaney - Tampa Bay (MLS)
    Arturo Velazco - Colorado Rapids (MLS), San Diego Sockers
    Hector Aguilar - San Diego Sockers
    Jamie Munro - San Diego Flash (A-League)
    Kevin Legg - Portland Timbers, San Diego Flash (A-League)
    Miguel Luna - San Diego Flash (A-League)

11. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I do not like the name Nomads, it doesnt have anything to do with San Diego other then its a youth soccer club. Atleast the name Surf has something to do with San Diego that people can associate with.

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously he's not going to "share" a name with anyone. If a team already exists or someone holds naming rights to a team they'd have to basically be bought out. Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? No. Why should that stop us from having fun discussing names for a team that quite frankly may never exist in San Diego?

13. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    No problem having fun with names, but being honest about a name is also needed. I didn't mean to come off harsh sounding. Let's discover better options.

14. boredbobby

boredbobby Member

Nov 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego should be discussing and demanding promotion/relegation for MLS. San Diego ranks the top market for eyeballs when the world cup comes around and we have San Diego Flash who are stuck in lower divisions because of the system we have in USA. Teams should be in MLS for on-field performance and not by paying a $40-$75M expansion fee to join division I.

San Diego could easily support two independent clubs and put those teams in Division 1 through promotion.

15. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    San Diego is a very difficult sports city. Its very spread out, San Diego could not support the Flash nor the Sockers in the 90's what makes you think things changed in 10 years? Even if San Diego does get a team where would you put their staduim? If you put it in North County, thats far for everyone to go to, if you put it in Chula Vista, thats also far.

Whats teh big deal with promotion and relegation, federations now are realizing that its not constructive for theri leagues, look at mexico and arginitina, where they take the 3 year average so the big teams dont get relegated. And if they do, they just buy the promoted teams space, so how is that any different then the expansion fee?

16. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also the San Diego Boca team.

18. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that Argentina's little sister island? Kidding aside, you really can't compare the Sockers and Flash because they are essentially different sports. The Sockers failed because of bad ownership mostly.

19. Jabez Ramone

Jabez Ramone Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Southern California
    And the Flash failed because . . . .

20. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Flash did have crappy owners, but was that the only reason why they shut down?

21. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    None of the current owners are in this for the long run, they just dont have the zillion dollars required to even have a 2nd division team. I bet some of hte teams in the mens league would give Boca and Flash a lot of trouble.

22. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about Flash, but Boca seem to want to stay and build something
    they have a petition on their site to build a soccer specific stadium in San Diego, they also partake and are involved in events to support causes in the community(the Flash also does this)
    its true they don't have the money but I see an intent from Boca to stay for a while

since when do boca and flash play in a women's league:confused::p

23. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Then you don't know the current owners of Flash. Do your homework

24. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you're talking about the SDCSL, the Flash played the top teams from that league during their exhibition season last year and beat them all pretty handily.

As for Boca , they have a reserve team in the league and they finished in 5th place. But if it truly was their reserves, you've got to imagine their 1st team would have done better.

25. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Please enlighten me how the owners are any different then all the previous San Diego owners?

I hope I am wrong, but untill someone with deep pockets decides to build a team or take one of the teams, we will always be having this discussion. Seems sad but true.

We cant even put a team in the USL(Dayton and Willimighton have teams), should we be ok that we have 2 teams in the 4th division of US soccer?