Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Split the pissing match and political nonsense.

@puertorricane @Cody667

Put away the handbags and stay on topic.

2. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    From the look of it you have 5 issues, but let's not digress...

1) Your point about Spain, Germany and their clubs has absolutely nothing to do with England hosting. I did not argue that Spain or Germany deserved it more.

2) I do not blame players. I blame clubs, the league, the FA and the fans.

3) And that is exactly why England hosting a WC would add nothing to world football.

4) It means nothing for you. Apparently, you are prepared to pay a lot of money to watch some meaningless off season match. Good for you.

The last sentence in your point 4) is of course exactly what I meant: the EPL is the enemy of international football and thus of the WC.

5) And there are lots of places in that global market that ' deserve ' to host a WC just as much as England does.

3. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #303 ghost101, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    I guess the WC can never be given to England, Germany, Spain, Italy, Holland, France, Portugal etc. ever again. Anywhere in the EU pretty much. All have strong footballing infrastructure and are wealthy enough to have good public infrastructure.

As that wouldn't add add anything to "world football". They all already have the infrastructure, fans and stadiums.

The rotation policy needs to be between South America, Africa and Asia only.

Oh wait, and there was me thinking it's about the matches rather than being used as a political tool, building unecessary stadiums in countries like Qatar.

Brazil deserved a South American world cup, as did an African country in 2010. There is nothing wrong with using the word. It is a matter of opinion.

Spain probably deserve a world cup at some point as will Italy once a bit more time passes.

Cody667 repped this.
  4. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #304 MrOranjeBal, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    I hope this is not an attempt to paraphrase what I said, or that this is the main point you took from my post that was a reaction to England, supposedly, being 'entitled' or at least 'the most deserving' country to host the 2026 WC and to the request to name 3 reasons why England wasn't 'the best' country to host.

Never said England should never host again, nor did I say that added value to world football should be the only, decisive criterion!

Context, my friend.

5. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #305 themightymagyar, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    I'm well aware of their history in the sport. The fact remains they haven't announced any intentions to host (ever), and they have very poor infrastructure (and not the wealth of a Qatar or South Africa to improve that infrastructure). If that's your criteria for deserving to host a WC, then there aren't really any countries that don't deserve to host. Why not Central African Republic, Fiji, or Kyrgyzstan?

I simply was curious why you thought Cuba could host a World Cup, because that was way out of left field from any other candidate I've ever seen mentioned. You then proceeded to act like a complete ass. I'm not sure if you're part Cuban and I've somehow offended you or what. It was an innocent question that didn't deserve the tone you took.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, saying Cuba and leaving out Costa Rica and a host of other Caribbean countries just seems weird.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Cuba among Concacaf countries, is one of the few countries that within itself has enough big sized cities (over 100 thousand population), where you can probably have all the buildings, constructions and facilities required in order to serve as hosts if ever they decide to bid (which they haven't yet, but this last issue can't discard them just because you don`t like their country. In this thread, we talk about potential hosts, not about who has bidded or who hasn`t)

If there is an ass here, you may probably see it in those who like to call out names on others, without ever being offended in the same way before.

In reference to my previous note, I didn`t call you anything, and all I mentioned was the possibility that you didn`t know a thing about Cuba. Francly, I don't see any offense in that.
    ;)

8. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have nothing against Cuba. I never said I don't like them. And you don't think basically calling someone ignorant isn't an insult? Whatever, I'm done.

9. vancanada87

vancanada87 New Member

Mar 24, 2014
    #309 vancanada87, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Came across these Canadian World Cup 2026 bid docs online:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. vancanada87

vancanada87 New Member

Mar 24, 2014
    #310 vancanada87, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. vancanada87

vancanada87 New Member

Mar 24, 2014
  12. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Canada to get the World Cup, they are going to need a showcase venue - the decrepit Rogers Centre and Stade Olympique aren't going to cut it.

These purported bid documents propose for a "Toronto NFL stadium" to be the showcase venue. While an NFL team could theoretically move to Toronto, there isn't anything to indicate that such a move will happen. And it isn't inspiring that these purported bid documents use stadium renderings from Farmers Field (AEG's proposed venue for an NFL team should one move to LA) .

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From what I understand, the only thing keeping the Bills in Buffalo is the owner, Ralph Wilson, who is 95 years old. The Bills are doing poorly in Buffalo and have a large fan base in Toronto. Now that the cable companies have control of MLSE I think the money, the interest and the opportunity will soon be there for a move to happen.

14. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Leesburg
    The Toronto games for the Bills have not been successful. The attendance was steadily on the decline the past several years. Only 38,969 attended last years game, one of the reason the Bills announced there will be no Toronto game this year.

I really do not see the NFL putting a team in Toronto, especially when there are rumors they want 2 teams there. Personally, I think the NFL would put a team in London before Toronto.

15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Ralph Wilson just died, btw.

16. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just seen all the reasons why England should or should not have a World Cup. I am English so it goes without saying that I would like a World Cup here. I do see the argument against the "home nations" privileges. They are anachronistic and should be done away with. In my opinion this should be part of a general restructuring of FIFA. I am hopeful that the stench of corruption that emanates from the Qatar decision will eventually be so overpowering that it will lead to major reform. The privileges themselves are only of interest to football administrators and not to fans. At least not to English/British fans, I can see why fans from other nations might be against them.

Entitlement is obviously wrong. We cannot claim to have a divine right to host the World Cup. However, by 2026 it will be 60 years since England hosted. Brazil had to wait 64 years. I do not see why England should have to wait longer. Many of those who give the impression of being entitled are probably moer frustrated that they do not consider England gets a fair hearing. Some of that will be down to the incompetence of the FA.

The idea of rotation has been high on the agenda at FIFA for a long time. Why should this only be between continents? Why should it not also be within continents? Once it is a continent's turn it should go to the nation within it that is both capable of hosting and has had the longest wait. In my opinion only England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Russia, within Europe, are capable of hosting a World Cup with 32, or more, competing nations. In my opinion they should host the next European World Cups in that order. Or course times change and another country, such as Poland, could be in a position to host in future. Others would argue that the Netherlands could host, in my opinion they do not have a requirement for the necessary number of large stadia. What I would be annoyed with is if any of Spain, Italy, France, Germany or Russia leapfrogged England to host before we do again. This internal rotation may not work so well in other continents but I believe it would work within Europe. Of course I am biased as this suits me very well.

I don't think the need to develop the game is a valid argument for European World Cups. Football is the dominant sport across the continent. There are only marginal developmental gains to be made.

As it happens I do not see England getting 2026 because Russia has 2018. 2030 might appear stitched up for Uruguay and Argentina now but that could change if there is major upheaval within FIFA (or if Brazil make a mess of this year's event - as someone who is attending I really hope they don't). Otherwise 2034 would be our chance.

I also noted the discussion that the Sochi Olympics was done down in the western media. This was not my experience in the UK. I found the media here was full of praise for the games. The climate here means we do not produce a great many winter Olympians so the coverage was not as in depth as it would have been in some countries. What there was was very positive. There was some questioning of the cost but no more so than for London's Olympics. Some, not all, media was sneering at Putin but certainly not at the Olympics themselves or the Russian people. If I was a teenager I would be having a go at snowboard cross rather than typing on here!

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  17. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Do you feel that EURO2000 was poorly organised? I might be biased but I feel that we (Holland & Belgium) did an excellent job ... only once did the England fans get too excited (same as during France1998) but on the whole I saw many exciting matches and a celebration of football.

PS if Brussels is selected as one of the hosts of EURO2020 ... we're building this:

[​IMG]

Also feel free to have a look at 'Stadium of the Year 2013: Ghelamco Arena' (Ghent, BE) ... without a shadow of a doubt Holland & Belgium can organize the WC ... it's likely that FIFA opted for the Russia bid instead of the Holland/Belgium bid because of the bottomline ... not because it was the best bid.

18. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I certainly wouldn't criticise the Dutch-Belgian Euros, they were very good. In general I'm not in favour of joint World Cup tournaments as that takes up two precious qualification places. Of course you could do it but do you have need for 10 or more stadia each with at least 40,000 seats? If the World Cup does increase to 40 teams, something I disagree with, it becomes harder still for small countries to host. I'm surprised you would build a new stadium for a few matches in 2020. Unless it is bringing forward or improving on already planned construction.

Edit: I have just looked at the Ghelamco Arena. It is very nice but only half the minimum size for a World Cup venue.

Mentioning 2020 you have also reminded me that Turkey has the potential to be a World Cup host at some point.

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    FIFA likes accomodating politicians and citizens that 'keep calm' ... probably more so after Brazil. Ideally we would have landed WC2018, for both Holland & Belgium, our first WC ever ... according to FIFA our bid was the best yet the bottomline & 'political warmth' in Russia were better ... rest assured the venues wouldn't have been a problem. If we want to develop our leagues ... a BeNe-league (merging our leagues) with better venues is in the cards ... organizing a WC would have been a boost but venues are needed anyway ... looking at the renaissance of the Belgian NT and the talents that we're producing, 2018 would also have been ideal ... but hey woulda, coulda, shoulda ... here's the wiki.

PS as a 'consolation prize' there's a fair chance that Brussels will be selected as one of the host cities for EURO2020 ... as capital of Europe BXL could even land the opening game seeing that EURO2020 has a pronounced euro flavour ... in September we'll know.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ah man. It's sort of creepy that he died just in time for this thread to continue. Nonetheless, I suppose we will soon see who's interested in buying the Bills.

21. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Donald Trump is but I doubt the other owners allow it to happen after what he did to them.

[]__[]

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Super nice but only teams with a shot of getting out of group stage should be awarded the tourney. I'd like to see China get a WC.

US got it 6 WCs ago. Mexico got it 8 ago. They are the only two in concacaf who can actually get one.

In South America Fifa Wants Uruguay + Argentina 2026 or 2030. Uruguay is much too small to get a WC by itself.

23. kamikaze70

kamikaze70 Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Gor Mahia
    Give it to India. Take football to a nation of 1 billion people

24. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    how bad is their NT? Would there league benefit with all the new stadiums?

Sadly the WC should go to places that will benefit from them and the upgrades to infrastructure that the FIFA Requires. Having a crap load of hotels being built for 1 month of use and never being used again is very very bad.

25. bphenry_USA

bphenry_USA Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA USA USA...but i would also be happy with maybe Canada or Australia