Post-Modern Galacticos: The Transfer Thread.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    hahah no way, Europa cup has a knockout round which makes predicting the winner next to impossible :) like the optimism but get real ;)

2. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    love Suarez.

How do you think he would adapt to the physicality of the english game? I have little knowledge of the Eriedivisie, but theres been some big profile flops in years gone by. Alfonso Alves, Giorgios Samaras (sigh). Then again, you have Vermaelan.

3. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For about 30-40mil each? Last rumor I saw about them quoted some outrageous amount. I seriously doubt it'd be approaching that much.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Are there not countless transfers inside the EPL that didn't work out. Berbatov was big at Tottanham, but still has to prove himself at Manchester United. Being succesfull at club A in the own leauge does not garantee that you can reproduce the succes at club B. Off course some players from the Eredivisie have flopped as well, as that is inherent at transfers. Every transfer is a risk.

I'm curious of my own how Suarez would do in another leauge. He is quite wasteful with chances, but is energetic, creates things on his own and works hard. I find him more a player for the Primera Division. I would like to see how he does at Barcalona for example. Last rumor I heard was that Arsene Wenger is after both Suarez and vd Wiel. Also a club where I can see them becoming succesfull. But maybe City comes with a big offer that is to good to refuse. Have yet to see how he/they would do at City.

5. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You speak the truth DRB300. I think it has a higher level of success however, as players don't have to adjust to a new country, new league, new 'style of play' in the same way that overseas players do.

Anyways, this sould end the Tevez debate.

From the OS.

Carlos Tevez says he is determined to help to take the club to unchartered heights in the coming years.
    The Blues’ Player of the Year also reckons City should forget targeting fourth spot next season - and instead concentrate on winning the title.

His words will be music to the ears of his legion of fans who have come to love his never-say-die attitude over the past year and who will be hoping he can finish the campaign on 30 goals if he can find the net one more time at West Ham tomorrow.

“I’ve really enjoyed my first season at the club, but this is only the beginning,” said Carlos.
    “What we’ve got to do next is forget about finishing in the top four – that is now a thing of the past - we now need to think about winning the Premier League – that is the right thing for this club and should be our next aim.

“We need to go all out for the title and that’s the mindset we need to have from next season.”

The Argentine crowd idol also was keen to thank the City fans and his team-mates for the two prestigious club awards he picked up earlier this week.

The newly-crowned Player of the Year also scooped the Players’ Player of the Year award on Thursday evening and he was clearly honoured to be chosen by both the supporters and his team-mates for his outstanding contribution this season.

“I’m honoured and grateful to have received the awards,” he said. “I’ve felt so welcome from day one and that I’m genuinely touched and feel extremely happy.

“Winning the supporters’ award is extra special because they have been wonderful all season. It’s a great source of pride and motivation when I see so many supporters, especially young children, with my name on their back.”

Carlos also revealed there is a growing City fan base in his country with the Blues steadily becoming more popular over the past year.

“That’s absolutely right – there are more and more people getting behind me and the rest of the lads back home in Argentina and that support continues to grow,” he said.

“I’d like to thank the people in Argentina for the support they’ve shown me this season, too.

I hope to score many more goals both for City and Argentina – particularly during the World Cup!”

6. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    On soccernet, the bid was rumored close to 75 million pounds. Considering we paid 23 million pounds for Joleon Lescott, 75 million pounds is just a drop in the bucket.

With respect to Torres and Gerrard rumors. I would say we have a slight chance in getting them. Liverpool is in chaos right now and these players won't be playing in the Champion's League anyways if they stayed with Liverpool. Why not join Manchester City, a club that is on the rise??? Sure, they have opportunities to request transfers to other well established clubs, but who can top Manchester City in a bidding war? Liverpool is in financial crisis and it can not afford to turn down a big offer. I believe the rumor is 50 million pounds for Torres and probably a similar amount for Gerrard. It is estimated that Manchester City will spend over 200 million pounds this summer.

Thinking about our purchases for the past 2 years, here is the list of disappointments.

Jo
    Niery Castillo
    Joleon Lescott
    Roque Santa Cruz
    Bojinov
    Benjani Mwaruwari

I think these guys cost us over 75 million pounds easily, but what can you do?

7. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Great players like Torres want to contest for every trophy possible. Unfortunately for him he will be plying his trade in the Europa League next season - and that would be no different if he moves Man City. There is no gain for him professionally if he moves to Man City. Only gains he will see are financial ones. I think not making the Champions League scuppered whatever chance City had of signing Torres. If they have the capital, I think Barcelona would be seen as favorites to sign him provided they can find some suckers to take up Ibrahimovic's wage bill (*cough* Man City). I wouldn't rule out a move to Serie A either as the player himself has said he wants to one day play in Italy. New Shevchenko anyone?

8. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hello... are you reading the news?! Liverpool is bleeding 16 million a year in just interest payments! They will not be able to turn things around until they get a new stadium, nothing to gain professionally?! Liverpool will do dittly squat for the next few years unless they get extremely lucky in the transfer market and lure some good cheap players. City on the other hand, if given the time to gel, can challenge for many top honors.

9. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I agree.

liverpool are BLEEDING away into there precious history books....there in dire need of some rich arab to come up and give them free money. that shows how far they have fallen.

simple business knowledge will tell you that no smart business man will come in, knowing the owner situation with the fans and the debt, and offer those fools the 800 million the want.

liverpool could be forced to sell torres simply because they absolutely must.

the banks wanted there money back in march, not this summer as expected. the banks have made it clear, they WANT there money, now. thats why they brought in that british airways fello to find a buyer, and the yanks now publicly want out. im sure they'll sell for much less than what they think, but that doesn't erase the fact that any smart business man isn't just going to throw his money away. liverpool imo right now are a bargain to be had. any investor coming in could basically LOW BALL his way into ownership of liverpool.

10. Steezy

Steezy Member

Jun 26, 2009
    City of Angels
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would we need Torres? i feel like our adebayor-tevez duo is fine
    [partly due to the fact that love adebayor,and dont want to see him leave]
    i prefer spending our money on a midfielder,Defense and a winger.

11. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mancini has acknowledged that the deal taking Jerome Boateng from Hamburg is nearing a conclusion, rumours that the fee is around $11M or alternatively RSC may head in the opposite directions. Good deal though.

12. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was Bianchi? I'd like to add him to that list!

13. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I agree he was a bust, but he was before the Thai Prime Minister and Mansour, so we are really talking about a different era.

14. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think your love for Ade has blinded your judgment of ability :) IMO Torres is far more superior and more complete of a striker than Adebayor.

Great deal, RSC is an injury magnet.

Bianchi came right before Benjani, I thought it was the same time as Castillo, but Castillo was a loan wasnt he? if he was then not much of a bust.

15. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Castillo was a loan, of which Castillo himself paid 100% of the fee for.
    Definately not a bust.

16. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    back then the local soccer shop near me finally acquired city shirts, and castillo's shirt was the best seller :) probably made city a familiar club to mexican fans.

17. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bust for us (he was injured most of the time)... bust for Donestk for sure.