Post-Modern Galacticos: The Transfer Thread.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Jun 2, 2009.

1. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Kidd perhaps?

2. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I disagree that he would of had no influence on the transfer.
    He may of had his eye on him for all we know, he's always been a talented kid. Most likely he has indicated the type of player that we needed to someone, who's drawn up a list of avaliable targets and we have gone for Adam Johnson from that. Mancini still would of had final say however.
    I think it's unfair to say that Viera was a poor transfer (for free. who has done some good thigns) while Adam Johnson wasn't a Mancini buy.

3. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I suppose we will never really know. I just find it unlikely a guy who was living in Italy and managed in Italy would know Adam Johnson, and during that period Mancini didnt look like he had full control of the transfers because (i think) only two players were signed and no defenders.

4. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    when was the last time you read the reports on arsenal's finances? are you an expert on arsenal to say for certainty that we "can't" spend that kind of money?

6. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Have you though at anytime in the last five years?
    No. You have not.

Don't get me wrong, i love Arsene and think he is a genius in the transfer window.
    However, someone who goes out and spends large amounts of money on world class players he is not.

7. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what do you call players like patrick vieira and thierry henry? back in there prime obviously..

look, times have changed. no one can compete with chelsea, city, and madrid on the financial side of things, therefore, managers like wenger, hodgeson, and ferguson must use there intelligence to unearth gems from the rough.

few teams can spend 100 million pounds in 1 window. please, dont take me the wrong way, im not saying there is a problem with that, im just saying only a few clubs have those kind of resources.

what's better?

buying lescott who has been injured most of the season or buying an unknown vermaelen who is in the premier league team of the season.

im not saying vermaelen is better, or that the lescott deal was a bust. im just trying to give you an example of how different transfers appear to us, the fans.

city made some good buys, but they also made some poor buys. the difference between arsenal and city/chelsea is that we can't afford to buy ten 10 million pound players and hope that a few work out, and continue to pay those other top players insane wages' for not doing anything.

city can. ive got nothing wrong with that, if you have money, use it.

8. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Ohh you Arsenal fans need to stop it with this "Vermaelen was unknown, Arsene unearthed a gem" nonsense. He was captain of Ajax and Belgium and was generally recognized as the best defender from the Eredivisie by anybody paying attention.

9. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sure, yet arsene wenger was the ONLY man with the cojones to take a "gamble" on him.

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Uggh, the other teams in the group formally known as the big 4, all have better defenders than him. They did not need to take a so called gamble.

11. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you think john terry, carvalho, ferdinand, carragher are better than vermaelen?

dude, they might be proven, because theyve played in the league for years, but give vermaelen some credit for an unbelievable first season.

terry is old, ageing, many consider him the england weak link.
    same for ferdinand, he's brilliant when fit, but thats becoming less and less now.

carragher? would you like to convinve me that he is better than vermaelen?

thomas vermaelen is probably the only person on our team who relishes DEFENDING. the man needs a proper CB to partner him, he can only improve. he's young, was reasonably priced, and scores goals.

12. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Fair enough as long as you use "gamble" in quotes ;)

13. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    But gambling is the name of Arsene's game! He doesn't spend €30 million or even €20 million on defenders...

Either way spending money isn't a guarantee of success. Look at Lescott.

14. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    look at madrid and city.

maybe wenger isn't a fool.

15. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not a fair comparison at all. Rio really began to break down for this year. When you bought TV, most at Utd didn't really know the full extent to Rio's recent injury problems. And we have Evans, so a "gamble on TV" didn't make sense for us.

You can only compare TV to each player based on 2008/2009 when you moved to buy TV.

And yes Terry was better (still is) and so was Jamie in 08/09 (although he has lost a major step this year, that I think surprised most people. You expect a decline at his age, but not that dramatic)

I also rate Vidic higher, and a 2008 RC at Chelsea.

Rafa would probably been have smart to consider a "gamble" as you say, but he had much much more pressing needs to address.

16. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difference is juanca, City have jumped from 10th to 5th. That's massive. Madrid is a hugely competitive team in their league. What are Arsenal? They've been nothing for 5 years now, and could maybe even finish 4th if things don't go their way this weekend.

Wenger's alleged brilliance has gotten him nowhere. And it's the big signings that have kept Arsenal afloat. I'd have loved to see an Arsenal team with no Arshavin this year, you lot would probably be somewhere around where Liverpool is.

17. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    One more thing, it's pathetic that Arsenal actually now has something to play for. Instead of fighting for 1st place, it needs to win to secure the 3rd spot. ha ha ha. I think just 2 weeks ago, it looked like it had 3rd spot locked up.

Actually, for the EPL, it's better that Arsenal finishes 4th, because it has a higher chance of getting through the qualification round that Spurs do.

18. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    are all city fans just horrible at math or something?

we could lose 1 nil and still "take" 3rd:cool:

19. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    [​IMG]

Arsenal has 72 points with one game left to go. Spurs has 70 with one game left to go.

Think again. If you lose and Spurs win, Spurs end up with 73 points and Arsenal stuck at 72. The last time I checked my math, 73>72 which implies Spurs finishes 3rd.

maybe arsenal fans just forgot the fact that they just lost to Blackburn.

Can someone help me check my math??????

20. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juanca, not only are you a troll but you're a total idiot. I feel sorry for the City fans here that have to read through your mindless shit.

1 person likes this.
  21. Steezy

Steezy Member

Jun 26, 2009
    City of Angels
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys,i heard that Tevez himself said that he's leaving city.is that true? :(
    oh,and how about those Di Mari rumors? what would you say the chances of obtaining him are?

22. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    maybe his math is right if he forgot the fact that Arsenal just lost to blackburn

23. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tevez won't leave.
    He was frustrated with certain aspects of Mancini's training regime, but that was it. He loves it here, he wants his daughter to finish school here at least (he has said this).

Di Maria would be good as a future Bellamy replacement, he has a lot of talent however he is dreadfully one footed. Unsure on whether he woudl be able to take to the physicality of the english game either. and he would cost a bundle.

1 person likes this.
  24. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I've said it before...I don't want to see him go, but your club is one of the few that can afford Luis Suárez and Ajax will always sell for the right amount of money.

25. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Apparently, Benfica has accepted the bid for Di Maria and David Luiz.

The long shot will be Gerrard and Torres. If we end up with these two, you can pretty much start the Europa cup parade now at minimum. Depending on how long it takes the team to gel, you can bet on the EPL title.