Post-Modern Galacticos: The Transfer Thread.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Jun 2, 2009.

1. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Petrov and Elano were the main reasons that Manchester City went from avoiding relatation in 06/07 to UEFA cup in 07/08. I don't think that much of De Jong, but remember he's on the Ducth national team so he can't be all that bad. I think debating between Yaya and Elano and Petrov is a matter of opinion rather than absolute truth. Of course you are entitled to your opinion

Buy the entire Barca team over our current team? I say this with respect, you're head is too big, no insult intended. There's definitely players on Barca that I would dream to have. Messi, Ibra, Alves, and maybe Xavi. To say that Xavi is a massive upgrade for us is an overstatement. 2 years ago, you can make the statement of the entire barca team over man city, and i would more than agree with you. but not now.

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I understand that you've moved up, but you're hoping for a top 3 finish in your league, and you're comparing your team's quality favorably to a team that won everything including the Champions League just this year? With all due respect, that's less realistic than anything I said. I guess Xavi isn't on your planet Earth first 11. To each his own...

3. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Evidence of this please, not just re-hashed journalistic crap that the media in Britain spouts. I have not seen any quotes from Robinho himself that say this, rather that he is happy at the club, and has big ambitions for us.

4. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Alright then, let's ignore this whole Robinho and Barca saga. As Hughes pointed out, nothing can be done until January so there's no point in talking about it. I agree with you that it's more media crap than anything else. My only issue is that he's never the type to "shut up and play ball." Even though he hasn't said anything outrageous, it's just my perception of him.

On the other hand, this rumor suggests what you are saying, which is Robinho has great ambitions for us. Otherwise, why would he want the following?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...p-up-Brazilian-ace-Ramires-article192141.html

Any thoughts?

5. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree with you (sorry if i appeared accusatory .. is that a word? .. anyway, stressed out with epic study and just wrote down the basics haha!) that Robinho is not the type to 'shut up and play ball', especially if he is unhappy; but there is about 500 articles where he says 'he loves the area, he loves playing with his teammates, he credits Hughes, he suggests players that we could or should target' etc etc, and maybe one or two where he has said 'yeah, barcelona would be nice to play with' (which every player in the world would be thinking) and that is what is jumped upon by the media.

He is the most technically gifted player on our squad. That is without question IMO, and we have on our hands a potential Ballon D' Or winner, but he has a long way to get there. That's why i would be very, very hesitant to let him go. He is the type of player who could peter out into nothing, or equally carry a team to a Champions League.

He is not the consumate professional, but i'm prepared to let the odd comment slide when he plays like he is capable of on the field. He has been injured for a majority of the season, so we'll see how he responds.

6. Awareness

Awareness New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Leiden
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's safe to say that de Jong is one of the best DM's in Europe at the moment. And at his young age he can only improve. If you don't think much of de Jong you probably don't watch his games or understand his role in the team.

There are only so many established worldclass players and in that pool it's rare to find one available. Even more rare is such a player to be willing to play for Manchester City at this point. But it has to be said that this side is vastly improving and could attract the big names on the lont run. Having said this, it's unwise to be waiting for that time to come since emerging stars are what can be the difference in the here and now and cement the building blocks for the clubs success as making a name for their own.

7. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Alright, I watched De Jong more closely against Wigan today, and I have to say that he's really good at his role, which is stopping the attackers and breaking their plays, as well as getting the ball off of them or away from them. A very good tackler as well.

I didn't think much of him because I didn't pay much attention to him. Plus, he doesn't play every game. However, just for the fact that he's on the Dutch squad, I give the benefit of the doubt that he's not bad.

8. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    City are rumored to be after Philip Lahm!!!

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think they want somebody for the right back position, but it won't be Lahm. Can't believe Bayern would allow that to happen.

I know for a fact that many scouts of City have been watching Gregory van der Wiel from Ajax. That is the same right back position. I can see that happen pretty fast.

10. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If Micah consistently plays like he did on saturday, there will be no need.

Simple as that.

11. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we need a left back more than a right back? I think Zaba has been pretty good this year, and Micah is much improved from his early season form.

We also really, really, need a creative central midfielder. I'd love to have Hamsik from Napoli -- but so would every elite club in europe...

12. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I tend to agree, Bridge is getting skinned a lot. Out for three weeks as well.. Decent link up play, needs to up his defense though.

As for central midfield, i think we're ok. Stephen Ireland, Gareth Barry and Michael Johnsen can all play that position if need be, alongside others.

13. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Could not have said it better about Bridge.

I agree that all three can play the position but really only Ireland has that special creative spark that has the potential of winning games there. Barry is a box-to-box but not an attacking midfielder by any means (and has had a poor run of form as of late; unlike others I do not think he had a good match against Chelski). And Johno is still working his way back in. He could be another explosive player but we don't have any reason to think either way right now. I do think we need another CM to provide that dynamic play against less gifted sides who will sit back in their half and play the counter.

14. taboof

taboof New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Patrick Vieira doesn't fit into City's style of playing,he is a slow-game player and City is the opposite of it...

15. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Right, but City allready have lots of attack minded, fast players.

They don't need another petrov or bellamy. They needed another experienced, high profile signing to add some experience and *dare i say it* some steel in there midfield.

I dont think anyone expects vieira to be playing 90 minutes every 3 days for City, but i suspect he will be coming on during the end of tight games to shore up the defensive aspect of the game.

For that purpose, as well as his leadership qualities, i really Really wished Arsenal had moved for him. With denilson, song, fabregas out, we sure coulda used him:rolleyes:

16. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  17. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Very interested in both.

Gago is a defensive playmaker of sorts, a technical player without so much the stamina or physical prowess; but i think in a midfield three he could work with Gareth Barry and Nige doing the physical hard work. Would have to adapt though, but has the skill to succeed at the very top level.

Marco Motta is an extremely talented Italian right back. Screams leadership, sound defensively, dynamic going forward. Has fallen out of favour at Roma under Ranieri, but was a favorite of Luciano Spaletti. Would love him; although that would mean three right-backs ..

18. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    rumor has it that if Gago comes, Mancini will offload Barry.

19. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Gago would need time to adapt to the EPL and its fast pace. He's not a true DM like Mascherano, or even a box to box player like Simeone. He sits in front of the back 4 and distributes the ball A deep lying playmaker like a Xabi Alonso, Bolatti, Banega, or Pirlo.

He was great at Boca and then very good at Madrid and for our NT, but like Madrid tends to do, they squeezed him out when they got Lass and Alonso. I personally rate him higher than Alonso, but Perez wanted to make Madrid more "Spanish". I think he would be a good signing for you, but like I said, be patient. His game doesn't suite the EPL like it does La Liga or Serie A.

I hope you all get ansaldi. Have those talks died down?

20. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    SSN ticker just said we've bid for Middlesborough's Adam Johnson. Quality player destined to play for England if he doesn't go the way of Bentley.

21. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States