Post-Modern Galacticos: The Transfer Thread.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, I am not finding anything about it anywhere either. Perhaps Philly hasn't slept much in the last few days and it was a sleep-deprived stupor that saw him hallucinate that SWP was leaving. What say you Philly? :D

2. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Apparently were in for Sylvinho.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_5511061,00.html

Although he is definitely a short term signing, I would not mind him here as he is a stalwart and I have been begging for a replacement--or at the very least competition--for Bridge at leftback. Wayne had a good run on Saturday, though, and I would think bringing in Sylvinho would help motivate so he does not fall into the form I was worried about from last season and the preseason. Great cover as well. If nothing else, having Toure and Sylvinho mentoring Micah, Ned, and Ryan will make the free transfer well worth it.

3. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He better be!
    Almost gave me a heartattack, I just love SWP being back at the club.

As for Sylvinho, back-up, nothing more, nothing less.
    Garrido is leaving (pretty much definate), and Lescott will be playing at CB.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a coaching role after the year is up though (if indeed it is true)

4. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A Ripoff?:eek: Did ya forget he's English?;)

Moyes played a risky game, but in the end, he simply did NOT want to lose his player. botton line. why should he?

it isn't all about city' plans, its about evertons as well. Moyes may have shot himself in the foot alittle bit, but he now has 25+ million to boost his squad.

smart business from his POV. sure, he may have 6 points, but he's been there before, trust me, he'll have his team firing on all cylinders again.

Everton, along with City are two teams that i like to keep an eye on:)

Slyvinho would be a great signing! model pro!

5. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don't get me wrong, I think his stance at first was admirable and i think he is a very good manager. He didn't want to lose Lescott for any price, I understand that as well.

However, the whole "City are the big bad wolf and are responsible for everything going wrong" was absolute ****.

Everton annouced the 'interest' on their website.

This fueled media speculation, unsettling the player.

Moyes started with the "He's not for sale" tag.

He then branded the interest of City as "disgusting"

He then had the ridiculous quote of "I am the one who runs this club, Mark can ring me and ask me if he wants one of my players" (or words to that effect). Hughes rightly shot that down. "I would ring David, I would ask him if i could have Lescott, and he would say no". That simply does not happen in modern football.

He then said, after his previous quotes that "He is not for sale at any price" that we should of made a ridiculous bid in June, before confirming that he has officially lost the plot by saying we should of been more like Real Madrid in their pursuit of Christiano Ronaldo. Apparently we haven't reached the "wouldn't sell them a virus" level yet ..

Now were apparently being reported for tapping up Lescott. I must have been mislead, being under the impression that media speculation was not 'tapping up' a player

Theres more there, but i can't be bothered writing up the entire history. I honestly believe, that if Moyes had not run to the media throughout this entire saga that Lescott would still be an Everton player. I also think the reaction by Everton fans in calling Lescott a "money hungry ****" are incredibly short-sighted, in that the same thing happened when Lescott moved from Wolves to Everton. More chances of success, better money. Were not the first club to come knocking with the lure of money, and we won't be the last.

Meh. [/Rant]

6. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As I said, I think he'll provide good competition for Bridge. He would not play CB unless we lost Toure, Lescott, Ned, Ryan, Barry, and half of the east stand, so that was never possibility. But he can mentor all of our defenders quite well and, as juanca said, he is a model professional.

7. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  8. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move for Sylvinho. A good vet, who should give us good cover for Bridge. And who knows, maybe he can help out Robinho a bit, being a good influence for him.

9. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    why would you hate everton as a result of the lescott transfer?

what did you want/expect everton and moyes to do?

i think moyes did exactly the right thing. he said the right things to appease everton fans and played it out as long as he could to get as much money as he could.

with the amount of cash city are throwing around, you have nobody to blame but yourselves for the "r'in ripoff".

10. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lescott signing is great news, I know nothing about Sylvinho really, is he good enough to challenge Bridge for a starting role?

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    He was a backup for Barcelona, but he started the CL final against Man Utd and did very well. He'll have to instantly adapt, considering his age (35). He's good at getting forward.

12. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love having on the payroll, someone so instrumental in making so many Rags cry!!

We haven't had that since Giovanni!

13. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

We agree on alot of stuff.

I never said that city were the big bad wolf of football. im smart enough to understand thats the way the game works.

everton did it to wolves, city did it to everton.

slyvinho was an arsenal player. he had a memorable goal vs chelsea!:)

he started last years CL Final.

and no, he won't be a starter. but he'll be great back up and a model pro.

14. phillymancity

phillymancity New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Kennett Square,PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was on Citys site yesterday, today theres a SWP article that says we're a team:http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2009/August/We-are-so-solid-crew-says-SWP,
    and I can't find that other article.. maybe city put it on by accident? I dunno, but i kow I saw he asked to see Chelsea, but I guess its a mute point now. In the future i'll always put the links to the articles..

15. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The post wasn't directed at you Juanca, more a rant at Moyes!

Both good signings. Incredibly happy at this years transfer window.

16. thetoffees

thetoffees New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    In the end I think everyone has got out of the deal ok, City have got a good defender, Everton have got a very very good price - which to some extent justifies Moyes' stubbornness over the summer, a lot of what has gone on between Hughes and Moyes looks like hot air designed to cover up the fact the Everton were merely bartering for a high price -City have the money after all.

It is all worthless though if he doesn't use the money to strengthen the squad before the deadline, he is a fool if he hadn't lined deals up, I honestly believe he knew Lescott was going the moment City declared an interest - there is no way the player or the club could turn down the money.

If come the deadline we have three or four new arrivals funded by the Lescott deal then I don't think we can complain.

17. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Sylvinho is a good signing. This guy's got tons of experience.

18. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the problem, Toffee, as a city fan we had this problem so so so so often, Moyes knows that chances are, he's not getting that money.

Just like Fugly knows that the Glazers want to pay off their debts with the 80 mil, not use it to buy some Brazillians and a guy from Valencia. I truely believe that the buying team for this reason, is at distinct advantage, no matter what the cost, then the selling team... at the very least in terms of standings but what do I know... I thought liverpool would've had a chance at the title this year!:)

19. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tal Ben Haim has gone on a free transfer.

Also rumoured a player switch Martin Petrov + $$$ for Bently. No thanks!

20. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Couldn't care less about TBH. However, if Richards's injuries is serious, there might be a lack of depth, especially with Dunne gone.

Petrov + $$$ for Bently would be a nightmare. Right now, we have depth in the midfield with Petrov. Bently sucks. I think he had 29 appearances with only 2 goals or something like that last year, why would we want to be stuck with him? We have so much depth on frontline and our 2nd team forwards are easily superior to half of the league's 1st team forwards. I wouldn't change anything.

I think during the next transfer window, Hughes will assess how well Robinho is behaving, whether or not he's disruptive in the locker room and his attitude towards sharing playing time. If he's completely out of control, Hughes is likely to get rid of him. However, if we continue to win games, I can't see Robinho bitching too much. Also, I think more depth in the defense will be our next target.

21. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Avoiding bentley was your biggest coup this summer!:p Allthough, one must wonder how he would've got on with his old boss sparky.

City & spuds could be a force this season with no europe distractions.

22. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dunne has officially with Villa for 6 mil. Goodbye and good luck Captain Dunnie. :)

23. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    To think of it, not that many players left from 2 seasons ago.

Richards, Ireland, Ball, Petrov, I think that's all

24. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ball was released from his contract CFF

I miss Dunne already.
    That tribute on the OS was amazing, and thast just a snippet of the player he was for us. Absolute warrior in everything he did.
    The picture of him in the Aston Villa jumper made me a bit ill tbh.
    Good luck Dunne, you will be missed.

25. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ^^ yea i looked up that farewell video, it was impressive.

one has to really look up to the way the management has handled this.

They could have kept him as 3rd choice, or maybe even 4th. but it seems the club would rather make the YOUNGER onouha(sp?) 3rd choice and move dunne who can still obviously play at the highest level move on out of respect.

Seems that this was handled with class and dignity. Cheers;)