Post Match: USA vs Canada; 1-29-13

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a truly disappointing 90 minutes of my life.

Gonzalez and Besler didn't really get tested. They didn't mess up, but when you ask what is 2+2 and they answer correctly..... what does that tell you?

The outside backs didn't offer anything going forward, at all. They weren't tested defensively, so what did we learn.....? Not much if you ask me.

Beckerman played well against a pretty offensively neutered team.

The offense created almost completely, entirely nothing. The starting front half were completely inept. Only a couple of guys even had a few moments of decency. Feilhaber, Agudelo, Gatt, Johnson... off the top of my head that's all I got. I'm not saying they did particularly well, just that they had a few moments of decency.

Davis, Wondolowski and Evans pretty much shot their chance in the foot.

Canada held on for the imaginary point.

Berks, Sup Bro, deuteronomy and 2 others repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree entirely. These guys do look better with their teams. JK and a different system does have an effect.

But, it's also basic reading of the game at a certain. While a system might change and the players you're surrounded by, the basic runs/movement/1-2's/quick link ups and darting into space/filling space, don't change all that much. I'd compare it do basketball. You might switch teams and have different players around you in a different system, but a pick & roll is still a pick & roll.

There's an elementary reading of the game, just basic ideas and reads which weren't there tonight, and they should be and it should be expected from MLS' best. Just because you're taken out of your team's system doesn't mean it should appear like you don't know how to read the game anymore. And after playing three weeks with these guys a lack of familiarity isn't as much of an excuse. They didn't just come in for a 5 day camp.

It is one game. It is a different system. But the lack of ideas and soccer IQ was a bit surprising all things considered.

3. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 in a soccer game is absolutely the worst result in all of sports FFS.

absolute f'ing waste. of. time.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Canada's style is very much like the USA under Arena/Bradley, using a bunkerball mentality, and relying on fast runs by the wingers on the counter. They played exactly the same way against the Danes, but the Danes had the brains to let Canada blow some steam off and try their counters. That's how they could strike them.

By denying them even those counters, the USA bottled them in their area and made their job of scoring a lot more difficult. Sometimes it's smart to let your opponent an open avenue of attack, so their defense loses shape.

Oh well.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they did, those players would still be CANADIAN. Jesus. Don't stoop to this stupidity.

6. 1oohptoyopu

1oohptoyopu Member

May 31, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As expected, Omar looked the part (grade A CB) however I'm having trouble recognizing what exactly about Besler's total performance folks are finding so impressive? (final result excluded :p)

7. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    He didn't screw up.

8. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The midfield never released an outside back on a run. When the outside backs recieved it, it was on a stand still. Thats not how they are used or employed to attack. The team was very mechanical, very risk averse.

To break down a team that is playing like Canada you cant be secure in how your outside backs play, and thats how the US outside backs played. Safe. In general I felt too many US players refused to commit to movements. It kept us secure in the back, but that wasn't much issue.

Canada played ultra-conservatively, and we played fairly conservatively, so you saw a game without much good action.

9. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember his "connecting to the midfield" as leading up to the goals against Slovenia and Algeria in WC 2010, and for setting up Dempsey against Italy.

He's a frustrating player when he isn't finishing, but his hold up play is beyond any other forward in our pool. His ability to make runs and receive balls in attacking positions have opened up the game for Donovan and Dempsey to come in and score.

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back to my truck and watching that shit live was like watching paint dry while someone is hitting my head with a stick.
    I am so frustrated with JK and our boys tonight I lack the words to express my dissatisfaction in what shoulda been an industrial if never really eye pleasing win. No cutting thru balls, little off the ball runs, no one showing to the ball, forwards hiding in the Canuck back 4, crap deadball play, mindless link up.
    Just a wash on all aspects.

HartwickFan and Real Corona repped this.
  11. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im looking forward to quotes on players like Beckerman & Gatt from Klinsmann. It surprised me Gatt didnt start and even though he added energy, he didnt play particularly well. Before this match I would have thought he'd definitely be in the squad for Honduras. Now, im not so sure. Then there's Beckerman who im just not sure if Klinsmann still has in his plans or not regardless of how well he played tonight or in camp.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, it was genuinely terrible. It honestly reminded me of the Austria-Germany 1982 World Cup game.

13. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Yeah plus this was probably his last chance to earn a role on the team, and I doubt he ever gets meaningful minutes for the NT again barring a bunch of injuries

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I learned from this dreadfully boring game:

• Sean Johnson should be considered our #3 keeper. He did well. And he has a bright future. So long as he continues to improve.... I would stick with him.
    • The fullbacks did not provide any width to our attack, and we are a team reliant on service from our fullbacks. Morrow and Evans showed glimpses that they could improve. Beltran looked terrible.
    • Beckerman, Besler, and Gonzalez were the main bright spots of this game. Beckerman completely shut down the middle, and the center backs did their job... although, they were not really tested. Of note, Besler provides excellent distribution. Gonzalez provides the needed boost on set pieces.
    • I am ready to pull the plug on Wondolowski and Davis. they are wonderful MLSers, but they were given a shot and did not impress. Klinsmann can honestly say he gave them a shot, but any continued chances is just taking opportunities away from other players.
    • Zusi had his worst game in a USMNT shirt so far and looked like a talented player in preseason, but I still believe he showed moments of being productive.
    • Evans in the midfield was nonexistent and was not international caliber. Any future I see with him will be as a seventh string right back (Cherundolo, Chandler, Parkhurst, Lichaj, Spector, Beitashour).
    • Feilhaber would do something good and then follow it up with crap.
    • I was too bored to care to watch Morales play when he came in. However, I did notice a few times when he hung on the ball too long in the defensive third.
    • I don't recall Bruin touching the ball once. Disappointing; considering that there was so much hype after he scored 2 goals against Club Tijuana.
    • Bedoya showed energy and hustle, but little else. Regardless, he's one that I might want to look at again.
    • Gatt showed the most energy and the most promise of anyone on the field. But he really needs to use his noggin and his left foot more. I believe some of that will hopefully come with age. He's a physical beast though.
    • Johnson and Agudelo had some good moments. But never really came close to threatening the goal with one of the worst goalkeepers I have ever seen in international soccer.
    • I'm curious to why Diskerud was not considered.
    • Overall, we dominated the game, but our attack was completely anemic. That said, I expected this type of performance and never thought we were going to come out and dominate Canada.
    My line-up for Honduras:
    GK Howard, Guzan, Johnson
    FB Castillo, Chandler, Parkhurst, Lichaj
    CB Bocanegra, Gonzalez, Cameron, Besler
    MF Beckerman, Williams, Edu, Bradley, Zusi, Kljestan, (Bedoya)
    FW Gatt, Dempsey, Gomez, Altidore, Johnson, Agudelo
    *Cherundolo, Johnson, Jones, Donovan are out.
    Starting XI:
    -------------Altidore---------Gomez---------------
    ----------------------Dempsey----------------------
    -------------Bradley------------Zusi-----------------
    -----------------------Williams-----------------------
    Parkhurst------------------------------------Chandler
    --------------Bocanegra-------Cameron--------------
    -------------------------Howard------------------------
    Bench: Guzan, Gonzalez, Castillo, Edu, Kljestan, Gatt, Johnson
    Not used: Johnson, Lichaj, Besler, Beckerman, Bedoya, Agudelo

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly if I see Davis or Wondolowski again, I'll be a little bit surprised.

16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this. The question is why.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  17. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Kyle will be there, if I absolutely had to pick someone who wasn't a CB I'd go with him since he did alright. Gatt I thought brought spark and speed(to a full team that would potentially need both mind you), but not much else so that's a bit of a tougher call.

18. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    His distribution out of the back was pretty good

19. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whys everyone so worked up about a game in which 95% of the players are irrelevant in terms of actually seeing the field in qualifying?

20. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Agreed, this was their swan song - or was that a very ugly duck?

21. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondolowski had more then 1/4 of the teams shots on the only 2 shots on goal. He still cant find his finishing with the national team, but he was the only player to consistently threaten the canadian goal.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  22. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Because we like to imagine we have more depth than we do.

Katreus and Berks repped this.
  23. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Although I think he performed well enough relative to his overall "ceiling", the choice of Evans in front of Beckerman in the center midfield leaves me flabbergasted. This felt to me like a tactical loss; the execution was, given the circumstances, not really that bad.

Don't see a separate coaching thread but my grade would be below C for sure. Players (each unto themselves) weren't as bad as they looked.

24. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know what, before I try to hash this out and make it really ridiculous, the simplest answer to your post from me is this: F it, you're right. Clearly I spouted off on something without thinking it through.

Fanatical Monk and Berks repped this.
  25. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    New CBs?

Then again we wouldn't be complaining if that was the case. Mission accomplished for the first stage there...