Post Match: USA vs Canada; 1-29-13

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Jan 29, 2013.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Better distribution. Gonzalez seemed tentative at times with the ball, out of ideas at others, and actually played at least one terrible ball that I remember. Besler, on the contrary, pushed confidently, and had at least one really pretty full field switch that I remember.

Defensively, I agree, hard to distinguish. Rate then the same, but if Gonzo is higher on your sheet, my opinion is that there is projecting going on.

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and I would offer that Besler is a superior passer with more of a feel for attack and seeing the entire field.
    He is also less likely to get caught and turned in the wrong direction. Omar is a monster of a physical specimen with a great head capable of dominating in the air. It's going to be interesting, from my perspective, who might pop out ahead in JK's plans. I look forward to watching this and expect them both to be headed to Honduras.

Berks and Konut repped this.
  3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Klinsi is right to want guys to be serious in practice. But Mix probably isn't going to change. If Mix ever reaches a certain level where he is unable to be left out of a roster or not dressed for a game it will have to be something Klinsi learns to deal with.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same deal, I will reserve judgement on distribution for when a team actually presses the centerbacks. I like both Besler and Gonzalez. I'm happy to see that Besler is likely getting called in this week. I just didn't learn anything new from this game.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference in their scores is negligible: .2. That's essentially giving them the same score. Besler gives you better distribution, Gonzo gives you better aerial presence. Since Cameron also gives you distribution, you'd think someone like Gonzo would be a more useful partner.

Regardless, BOTH should be on the plane to Honduras because they are different types of CBs, Goodson sucks donkey balls, and we are short on center backs.

6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    For awhile now I've thought that Besler is the player all the Ream fans thought Tim was at the height of his hype.

As far as Davis and Zusi go KC and Houston have always struck me as two of the most all-action, direct, uncomplicated attacking teams. Zusi has the motor and pace, Davis has more guile. They're mostly called on to use their good ball striking to create. Neither are regularly faced with a concertedly organized defense for 90 minutes.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I have one last comment on this match. I don't know if anybody pointed this out before, but Klinsmann used the same field players to start against both Tijuana reserves and Canada. It's interesting, because everybody just sort of assumed he would switch it up since the subs were the ones who won the scrimmage.

deuteronomy and Bob Morocco repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Interesting. DeLaGarza as CB. The two previous times (Venezuela and Panama friendlies), he was used as a RB.

9. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I guess that proves the point that JK was looking for specifics and not just evaluating players freely.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's clearly not going to take young guys based on potential and future talent possibilities. He's got one game to win and he made selections based on who's good now, Davis, Besler, Gonzalez etc, not guys who might be good in a couple years, Gatt and Agudelo.

Bolivianfuego repped this.