Possible Future Teams & Names

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Coach38, Sep 16, 2012.

1. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Chivas USA should move to Orlando or Miami. Detroit City, or call them Sparta Michigan, might move to the Silverdome.

2. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    New York Red Bulls could change name to New York Cosmos or Long Island Roughriders.

3. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet the team's owners would be all over changing the name... As for the second suggestion, would they still play in their fairly new SSS?
    Regarding the rest of your list: Detroit is nowhere near the top of any rumor lists. There is little evidence to suggest that the potential Beckham expansion to Miami will have ANYTHING to do with either Ft Lauderdale or the Strikers brand. If/when Chivas rebrands or moves, it will most likely be somewhere in the LA area,, based on the league's focus on rivalries.

4. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And money should rain from the sky.

You do know that those are two different clubs, right....?
    Just as they might win the lottery.

Really, is keeping the discussion on an adult level, and in the same hemisphere as reality, all that much to ask?

RedRover and aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hey, this topic is about future teams, so ofcourse it's all about speculation. If you don't like that, you should visit a topic about recent teams ;)

6. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speculation doesn't have to be idiotic. Please stop pretending otherwise.

7. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    There are now to many prospective teams with the name City on them. We will have Orlando City and NYCFC. Detroit City would just be overkill and I assume that eventually the MLS marketing department would prefer more diversity in team names. Honestly using City as the team name is a very British concept which does not make sense here in the states. Then again neither does Chivas USA or Real Salt Lake. Someone should call themselves Rovers, Wanderers, Lions or Wolves, those are British names that would sound cool.

8. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    I love the sarcasm in this post. I doubt the MLS marketing department would be too happy with this. Hey we should start calling teams San Antonio State, Syracuse State, Georgia State etc. , so they sound like college teams.

9. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Looks and sounds much better than Phoenix FC or Tucson FC, which are boring names. I wish Phoenix would call themselves Phoenix Wolves FC. Sound much better than Phoenix FC

10. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Detroit is a metropolitan area whose city and suburbs are as socially and economically segregated as any other American metropolitan area. DCFC (which already exists and thrives in the NPSL) has built its identity as a club for the city, as opposed to the more historically successful Michigan Bucks, who play, and have always played since moving down from Saginaw, in the suburbs.

Like NYCFC (maybe even more so), the city is an integral part of the team's identity. I, someone who does not count himself as one of their many loyal fans, would be disappointed if they chose to abandon their specific association with the city in an attempt to broaden their appeal should they find themselves able to make the jump to MLS.

Of course, having said that, someone else coming in and trying to capitalize on the success of the present DCFC by adopting a similar name for an MLS team can go die in a fire and rot in the pit of hell.

blazindw and redinthemorning repped this.
  11. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you very much it looks like Beckham's team will be in Miami with recyclying the Fusion brand. As to Chivas USA, latest in the local news looks most likely they would remain in LA under a new brand perhaps as "Los Angeles F.C." playing at Dodgers Stadium in the short term. This would not be much of a surprise with Dodger ownership having more money than they know what to do with it, to invest in an MLS franchise. LA city council has put forward a new focus on an new soccer stadium in Chavez Ravine abandoning the NFL stadium idea. Here's an idea for a new logo for the club with Dodger blue as the main color.

LA logo.png

12. ColeWCAR

ColeWCAR Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so local TV is reporting that the team may be bought by Dodgers ownership and rebranded? Very interesting. I like the rebrand idea with that logo seal, especially the slight red since the Dodgers use it minimally in their logo and jerseys.