Possible Future Teams & Names

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Coach38, Sep 16, 2012.

1. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Because they have no lives of their own.

2. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speculation, predicting and potential are the mothers milk of sports.

Antique repped this.
  3. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you almost made me spit out my beer!

Why are people more intrigued by the fantasy of a team in Ottawa or Phoenix or San Diego than they are by THE ACTUAL TEAMS THAT ALREADY EXIST?[/quote]

because as soon as san diego has a team, i can stop giving galaxy my business three times a season to see my time play

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Albany FC
    Albuquerque FC
    Atlanta FC
    Denver/Colorado Rapids
    Dayton FC
    El Paso FC
    Memphis FC
    New Orleans FC
    Ottawa FC
    Pittsburgh FC
    Sacramento FC
    San Antonio FC
    San Diego FC
    Syracuse FC

5. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As much as I prefer the traditionalist names like that, I think you can get a form of it with the old-school NASL homage names. Within reason. Detroit Express? Sounds great, especially if they started out at the Silverdome. Jacksonville Tea Men? Not so much, especially as the team name had little meaning outside of Boston.

6. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Here the all-time record average attendances of all soccer clubs (only current names used):

New York Cosmos 47,000
    Seattle Sounders 43,000
    Minnesota United 32,000
    Vancouver Whitecaps 29,000
    Los Angeles Galaxy 28,000
    Tampa Bay Rowdies 28,000
    Impact de Montréal 23,000
    New York Red Bulls 23,000
    DC United 21,000
    Houston Dynamo 21,000
    New England Revolution 21,000
    Colorado Rapids 20,000
    Portland Timbers 20,000
    Toronto FC 20,000
    Chivas USA 19,000
    Philadelphia Union 19,000
    Real Salt Lake 19,000
    San Jose Earthquakes 19,000
    Sporting Kansas City 19,000
    Tulsa Athletics 19,000
    Columbus Crew 18,000
    Chicago Fire 17,000
    FC Dallas 16,000
    Detroit City 14,000
    San Diego Flash 14,000
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers 13,000
    Aguiluchos 11,000
    Los Angeles Blues 11,000
    Rochester Rhinos 11,000
    Calgary Caledonian 10,000
    FC Edmonton 10,000

So there are/were 31 teams with an average attendance above 10,000. Add Atlanta Silverbacks, Orlando City or San Antonio Scorpions as 32th team and you'll have a great league! Not now ofcourse, but maybe in 2025?

7. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And ofcourse New York City FC ;)

The Atlanta Chiefs (much better name than the Atlanta Silverbacks if you ask me) record attendance is 26,000 in a match against the Cosmos and ofcourse Pele. Their average attendance record seems to be 7,000, which is pretty weak though.

By the way: This year is the best year in US/Canada soccer history, according to club attendances.

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source?

9. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to be 1400, which is still an inflation.

10. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He probably meant Detroit Express. He also has Minnesota United averaging 32,000 and Tulsa Athletics at 19,000. I'm guessing he meant Minnesota Kicks and Tulsa Roughnecks. Very misleading list considering there is zero continuity between those teams.

11. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors have resurfaced in the LA times that there a possibility that Chivas USA would be sold and relocated to either Orlando, Nashville, San Antonio or Arizona. This isn't the first time that Arizona has been mentioned. As a thought, a move to Arizona makes a lot of sense. Here is an idea for such as a move and re-branding. I'm sure there could be accommodations made for them at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. Also with a move to Arizona they could easily maintain the rivalry with the LA Galaxy and create new ones with RSL and Colorado.

Arizona Aztecs SC.jpg

MUTINYFAN repped this.
  12. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    And it's the "all time record average" which is the highest average home attendance for a season, I'm guessing... The only year the Tulsa Roughnecks averaged over 19k per game was 1980, the last year the NASL had 24 teams. As flattered as I am with the reference and comparison, our first-year NPSL Tulsa Athletics have played three games so far this season. Our only home game thus far drew over 3,200 fans, which is a really good start for us...

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=483751798363984&set=vb.448657418540089&type=2&theater

13. trevor_daniles

Aug 19, 2007
    How about we list traditional sports team names that are not utilized in the 5 major sports leagues in the US?

"Dragons" - surprised this name is not used considering the ferocity of the creature. Soccer would be a good fit as you can have a real cool medieval logo. City I would like to see use it: Miami. Miami Dragons looks nice together. And the flame of the dragon is symbolic of the blazing heat of Miami.

"Pioneers" - another traditional team name that is not used in pro sports but you see it in high schools. But it fits soccer because like the New England revolution, it can come to mean a revolution of a new US sport. City I would like to see use it: St. Louis Pioneers

"Mustangs"/"Stallions" - not counting the Red Bulls, no MLS team is really named after an animal. (I know, the Red Bulls are really named for the energy drink). I think Eurosnobs would frown upon a team named Scoprions or Raptors. Only a few select animals would be considered prestigious - an eagle, a lion. DC United uses the eagle in their logo. I'm sure Orlando will use Lions. How about a horse ? Really regal and elite animals. Denver has the Broncos and Indianapolis has the Colts. But none of the 5 leagues use Stallions or Mustangs as ther team name. City I would like to see use it: Atlanta. Maybe add a little extra something to add some oomph. Atlanta Fighting Stallions.

14. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at an art museum last weekend and came across the historical painting Boatmen on the Missouri by George Caleb Bingham, a painter in the state of Missouri.

[​IMG]

This painting gave me the idea for a name for a new MLS franchise in St. Louis:

Missouri Boatmen FC

or St. Louis Boatmen FC, if you prefer.

The details provided about the painting read that these boatmen refueled the steamboats that chugged up and down the river and that the men were more specifically called "woodhawks". Missouri Woodhawks FC would be a similar appropriate name, but I think Missouri Boatmen rolls off the tongue better and better suggests people who hear it to look up the historical significance behind it. Most people may just assume woodhawks are another generic animal nickname.

The details about the painting read that these boatmen were celebrated for their independence and helped to create both a regional and a national sense of identity. They were the midwestern equivalent of the New England Yankee and the Western Cowboy.

I'm not too particular on whether Missouri Boatmen or St. Louis Boatmen is better, but I think the Boatmen would be a beautiful name addition to MLS.

15. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source?

Forgetting about Phoenix FC, aren't we?

I think fans in Arizona should learn to support their teams (Coyotes) before allowing the importation of yet another flailing club.

16. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Chivas simply needs new ownership, branding.

No need to leave LA.

Cut all ties with stingy Vergara and CD Guadalajara, rename yourselves, get the grassroots going.

At worst, maybe a move to San Diego.

17. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think worst would be chivas folding :confused:

18. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His own imagination, as usual. His constant, fictional anti-CUSA BS is now bordering on trolling.

19. zoobawa

zoobawa Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No, Minnesota Thunder drew 32,000 for a friendly with LA Galaxy in Beckham's first year. We are averaging over 5k a game this year so far.

20. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

An article in the Los Angeles Daily News and Long Beach have the City of Los Angeles focusing on a SSS in downtown LA, either located near the Coliseum or Dodger Stadium. Their was some suggestion that the Dodgers may be interested in acquiring Chivas USA or an expansion team.

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_23...cials-seek-bring-professional-soccer-downtown

http://www.presstelegram.com/opinions/ci_23484781/l-stadium-soccer-not-football-is-wise-goal

21. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a proposal that probably a lot of you have already thought about:

I think the MLS will continue to expand and acquire teams until it hits the magic number of 40.

At that point the bigwigs at MLS could theoretically divide the league into two divisions and join the rest of the world in having (albeit a very controlled version) of promotion/relegation.

Playoffs, as American as apple pie, would remain and help determine champions of both divisions and those who would move up/down.

Here's a list of who I think might join in the next 50 years of the MLS. I wasted too much time thinking about this, taking into account metro area population, Nielsen's ratings, average soccer attendances and how saturated the markets are with professional sports teams.

It's far-fetched, I know. But ain't futurism fun!?

20. New York City FC
    21. Miami
    22. Orlando
    23. San Antonio
    24. Minnesota
    25. San Diego
    26. St. Louis
    27. Atlanta
    28. Carolina
    29. New York Cosmos (still believe they'll do it, making a triumvirate of NYC teams like the NHL)
    30. Indy
    31. Las Vegas
    32. Detroit
    33. Sac-Town
    34. Tampa
    35. Cleveland
    36. Ottawa
    37. Phoenix
    38. Edmonton or Calgary (probably can't have both, even though these two could be great!)
    39. Tennessee
    40. Oklahoma City

22. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it gets to that point, how many of those "bigwigs" will voluntarily turn themselves into "littlewigs," and think that suddenly bringing in minor-league revenues for their major-league investment is a good idea?

Not without at least a little grounding in reality. Until someone can answer the question I posed above, the idea of pro/rel in this country is a hell of a lot more than far-fetched.

RedRover repped this.
  23. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    :thumbsdown: No. I'm still waiting for my flying car.

24. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    MLS 2015:

1 New York City
    2 New York Cosmos
    3 Los Angeles Galaxy
    4 Chicago Fire
    5 Seattle Sounders
    6 Houston Dynamo
    7 FC Dallas
    8 Orlando City
    9 Fort Lauderdale Strikers
    10 DC United
    11 Philadelphia Union
    12 Detroit City
    13 Real Salt Lake
    14 Colorado Rapids
    15 Sporting Kansas City
    16 Portland Timbers
    17 Vancouver Whitecaps
    18 Montreal Impact
    19 Toronto FC
    20 Columbus Crew
    21 New England Revolution
    22 San Jose Earthquakes

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So where exactly is Chivas USA going to go? Where is Detroit City going to get money and not play in a shithole of a high school?