Possible DP and other training camp news

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought there were some issues on Drogba's side as well. Such as he was on an extended vacation, wasn't taking the competition seriously, and wasn't adjusting to the country ... hence his bud Anelka joined him. However, this sounds like grousing from the owners.

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Do you have Anelka and Drogba reversed? Anelka went midseason, Drogba came later. I think Drogba's scoring at a pretty good clip.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1155-december-2012/9263-nicolas-anelka-will-not-be-missed-in-china

Read this article. It sums up Anelka's time in China. He's just an asshole but that was known previous. Despite the talent and production he's switched clubs like we change socks. BTW, he arrived last Jan., full 6 months before Drogba.

As for Drogba he arrived in May and by Sept. rumors were flying he wanted to leave China. His unhappiness stems from unpaid wages and when wages were paid they were not the agreed upon sum. To top if off his family has not adjusted well to China. He's absolutely treated his Chinese adventure seriously, has produced, and has meshed well with the Chinese players.

4. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I keep forgetting, is J. Smith currently taking up an international slot? He's not on the roster so...

5. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we really ARE trying to win this season by outscoring everyone! I think it was in a different thread, but whomever mentioned "inverting the pyramid" and playing 2-3-5 was on to something.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We currently have 7 signed internationals (including Eloundou) and 8 international slots.

No, he's not on the roster AND he got his green card.

Soaker888 repped this.
  7. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    According to the MLS article on Eloundou, Rapids have 2 international slots left. I'll assume their writer got it wrong and their editing still sux.

"With the addition of Eloundou, Colorado now have two international spots available on their roster for future acquisitions."

8. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Personally, I think growing the game by encouraging attractive attacking soccer should be part of the mandate of every team in the league. That's how you put, and keep, butts in the seats and eventually drive ratings. I know that's how Hinchey, Bravo and Oscar look at it, and I know for certain that was part of the reason that Gary Smith was let go (coupled with his refusal to meaningfully engage with youth/youth development/the draft). Now winning should come first, but winning the right way by playing good soccer should come second - maybe even 1A/1B. We did sign an Ecuadorian international defender, drafted a guy regarded as the outside back with the most upside, have another well-regarded outside back returning from injury, moved Mullan to outside back, signed additional defensive midfield cover, and I'd expect O'Neill to get minutes at both CB and defensive mid.

Adding this kid from Cameroon, along with Buddle, Harbottle, Brown, Harris, (and I predict Romero to make the roster) can only increase competition up-front and I'd be stunned if it didn't produce more goals than last season. Seems to me that they're doing a good job over there, but of course we won't know until the season gets going.

FC Denver and SoccaJ repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed Internationals: Calderon, Castrillon, Harbottle, Rivero, Thomas, Brown, Eloundou.

According to the wikipedia list, which seems to be fairly accurate with what I can remember, we have 8 slots.

10. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well written post/analysis.

What excites me about all these potential moves and signings is not so much this season but the long-term vision. It will likely take time for all these young players to gel together but I like that there is accomplished leadership (Thomas, Mullen, Pablo, Buddle, Moor, Pickens, etc.) mixed in with what could be a plethora or exciting, young talent. That has me pumped for what this squad could become and the brand of soccer we may get to see.

I'm cautiously optimistic this will be a better season than last but I would not be surprised if it takes 10-15 matches for us to start getting solid glimpses of that. What I'm more optimistic for is how they will look the last 5-10 matches (assuming they don't get the awful injury bug) and what they could look like NEXT year.

BYLRPhil and DavidJames repped this.
  11. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Does Brown count as an international or was he Generation Adidas or something? Or goes he have a green card - seems like he's been in the US for a bit now?

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The talk about him was that he would cost his team an international spot.

13. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    confirmed from the rapids that he counts as a international slot

14. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

BYLRPhil repped this.
  18. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    See, this is why I will take Jason's reporting on fact-based information over MLS.com "reporting" most any day. Thanks for that.

Jasonma, Stuart95 and jayd8888 repped this.
  19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    so true.

Jasonma repped this.
  20. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was me. Just to get a look at all the new guys and the old guys up front in preseason we almost have to trot out a 2-3-5. I'm wondering if our rallying cry this year is going to be "You can score four, but we'll score more!"

With all of these guys they are bringing in, I don't know if anyone can consider themselves safe. It seems like Eloundou and Harbottle are very similar and I wonder if when push comes to shove they will be forced to make a decision between the two of them, or end up cutting Hill or Harris instead.

BYLRPhil repped this.
  21. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    I guess I'm confused about this lack of defense talk:

Wallace Calderon Moor Wynne
    Wallace Calderon Wynne Moor
    Wallace Moor Wynne Mullan
    Wallace Calderon Wynne Mullan
    Calderon Moor Wynne Mullan
    Klute Calderon Moor Wynne
    .....etc, plus Pablo could conceivably play CB, as has Sturgis, as could O'Neill. Plus the Kindle kid who seemed fairly highly rated. Look, we gave up 50 goals last year (5th worst), but it was really the TIMING of those goals that killed us. How many leads did we lose late, or draws turned into loses late? I think experience like Thomas, Pablo, Calderon will really help in that regard. I guess it is a question of what we want to be with limited resources. Maybe they need to add a defender, but who, from where, at what price can be had and is better than what we already have?

crazyjon85 repped this.
  22. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say Calderon and Wynne get hurt at the same time. (It can happen, Wynne and Marshall were hurt at same time last year) I would have had a lot more confidence putting in Zimmerman or Keel at CB than I do putting in O'Neill, Sturgis, or Pablo. Those are two players that they easily could have gotten this offseason but didn't. A weakness last year was depth at CB. We made it better by getting Calderon, but I would like another true CB as the 4th CB and not a midfielder who might be able to do the job. (With that said, I do think O'Neill and Klute have potential, but there lack of experience is what lowers my confidence in them at CB.)

23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention everyone must be an ironman like Moor traditional has been.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Eloundou and LaBrocca news there are reportedly 38 players in camp or attached to the Rapids. 26 of them have signed contracts, 7 of the 8 international slots are filled. With the assumption that 1 of the 3 trial GK's will become the 3rd GK, that leaves 8 players trying for 3 unsigned slots (assuming nobody signed gets cut of course) and 3 international trialists trying for 1 international slot.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at who might get cut/moved who's already signed, I'm going to rule out anyone who's signed a contract since last offseason. That's Ceus, Calderon, Wynne, Harbottle, LaBrocca, Mastroeni, Powers, Serna, Thomas, Brown, and Eloundou. That leaves 15. I'm also going to rule out any core players that are so obviously not going to be cut its not funny. That rules out: Pickens, Moor, Mullan, O'Neill, Rivero, and Buddle. So if any cuts/moves happen from our signed players, my prediction is that it will come from this group:

Chris Klute
    Anthony Wallace
    Davy Armstrong
    Tony Cascio
    Jaime Castrillon
    Nathan Sturgis
    Andre Akpan
    Atiba Harris
    Kamani Hill

COMtnGuy and fischerw repped this.