Possible DP and other training camp news

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    It's more a point generally about the owners. We all get frustrated by the club not spending money, but the fact is these guys have invested LOTS of money over the years, and in Stan's case I know for a fact that the Rapids lose about $2m per year. You can argue that franchise values have increased, perhaps even significantly, but certainly couldn't have faulted the owners for getting SOME return on their investment. From a business perspective, they are all being pretty patient. They are willing to subsidize each OTHER, much like the NFL does with the rev share from TV money. Rising tide floats all boats and that stuff....

spot and FC Denver repped this.
  2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it was only $1.3M last year per Jason's find.

3. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Ah this is something potentially exciting! Also glad to see Claderon as a LCB it makes much more sense.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2011 to be clear.

22SteveD repped this.
  5. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    It was about $2m last year (2012) due to some extra SG&A spend, higher salary cap, and some hires.

6. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Overall point is, Stan's not averse to a DP, especially if we can line up a shirt sponsor that takes us from $2m in the red to break even or better, and he might not be opposed at all if the business side continues the generally upward trend it has been going over the last year.

Full confession, I'm an investment banker so I guess I have a bias towards wealthy guys who sink money into projects year after year as, at least in part, a labor of love or at least a labor of like, and always find it funny how quick we all are to criticize and spend someone ELSE's money......but that's what's great about being a fan. Stan routinely went well into luxury tax land with the Nuggets when they had Iverson and Melo, so the guy will spend if he thinks he's getting something in return....

Now, those jokers downtown that run out a second-rate product for 82 games a year, and know they don't have to spend because John and Jane Suburb will continue to show up because baseball is held in the same regard as mom and apple pie, all the while pocketing somewhere between $40-50m per season, now THOSE guys are crooks and should have to pay the city/state back for the stadium we all built for them....

Bridgeman and BYLRPhil repped this.
  7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understand that numerous teams lose money. However, aren't those loses offset by SUM's profits?

8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work have worked in finance/ accounting for a long time and that is a tremendous increase ($700K) for a small company year over year.

9. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    For an operating company definitely, for a speculative sports enterprise, not that big of a swing. Especially given the complexities of single entity accounting. It could have just been a change in the way MLS allocates overhead (Garber's salary and all)...

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted in the "Kroenke Fans," thread that it's a lot more interesting trying to find an owner who is well liked than one who isn't, (Same could be said for league leadership and FA's) and I think it's still true.

It's easier on the owner if they have a winning team, but even among winners fans will gripe about the owner.

What beyond a Sugar Daddy do people want?

11. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember where I saw it last week, but I read that China's league is all over Central and South America trying to grab players from financially strapped clubs, maybe MLS is trying to expediate/ motivate MLS teams to try and get some of these players.

China can offer more money but USA has an appeal and possible local national communities that would be idea for them.

13. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the world would ANYONE chose to go to China...

14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$$ ... Drogba, Anelka, etc.

15. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that some would, but there's not enough money in the world to make me go there, for anything.

16. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree but I think a steady pay check is the attraction for a lot of players. A lot of teams (especially lower league teams in Europe) have difficulty paying the players on time. The stability alone should make it attractive for lower-quality players while guys like Drogba are looking for a big paycheck at the end of their careers.

17. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    No. the only thing it gets "offset" by, to any extent, is league-wide sponsorship and TV money. MLS owns SUM as an asset, which has real value in any sort of liquidity event, but my information is that SUM money stays in SUM or if any goes to the league it doesn't make it down to the individual team owners. they rejected a dividend when SUM sold the minority stake.

18. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

19. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Nope, it was Delaney.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured the fact that McCarthy was Crystal Palace's captain would make it obvious he wasn't the one considering leaving Palace for MLS, but I forgot who reads these boards...

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are both trying to get out of China faster than they got there.

BYLRPhil repped this.
  22. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Do you have a link to this fact/rumor/opinion? Just interested in reading more about it.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall its due to missed salary payments/ China over extending on these top guys.

25. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes. That appears to be the case after googling the wage issue with Drogba. Thx.