Possible DP and other training camp news

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CrazyJon, you've got to change your avatar ... I now read all of your posts in an Archer voice :)

2. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've lost count of how many messages from the Rapids we've seen that go like this. It was a while ago, but a poster on here compared the Rapids to the absentee father that always swears he's going to show up to your t-ball game but "has something come up" every time and misses it. Seems pretty appropriate.

jayd8888, Jasonma and 22SteveD repped this.
  3. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was me! :)

jayd8888 and COphysicsDave repped this.
  4. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is not a damn thing wrong with that...BOOYAHKASHA!

5. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Have it on good authority that the Rapids are in talks with Jamaican attacking player Luton Shelton as a possible DP

Also, word from training is that the Romero trialist has been one of the better players on the pitch the last two days. Also, staff expects Brown to get "significant" minutes this season.

6. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Looks like Buddle will have lots of time to recover.

7. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Buddle is going to be injury plagued all year, Shelton would certainly fill a position of need. At 27, I'm okay with his age, but I'm not sure he is worthy of a DP salary. Wikipedia doesn't have info on the length of his contract with his current club in Turkey, but does say he has 10 appearances for them so far this season. Would he really be on a contract that expires mid way through the season? I certainly don't want us paying a transfer fee for him in addition to paying him a DP salary. Perhaps his club is willing to void his contract/let him go on a free.

On a side note, he has an incredible scoring rate for Jamaica (38 goals in 43 appearances) but it looks like a lot of that is padded stats against inferior opponents (for example, 5 goals in one game against the Bahamas in a 2010 WCQ).

8. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Part of the consideration is that they will get to use the MLS league "matching" funds for DPs under 30. Don't quote me on the exact age, but the concept applies and he'd be eligible. I've watched him a few times and think he's quality, certainly scored a cracker against the US in Kingston...

crazyjon85 repped this.
  9. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be that his salary wouldn't be DP range, but the transfer fee which would get factored into his cap number, would put him into DP range.

22SteveD and Jasonma repped this.
  10. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats the name thats been around for a while... the other name was his strike partner in jamiaca rudolph austin

11. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong because MLS salary rules can be incredibly hard to follow, but I believe the beneficial DP rules for younger players is for players 23 and under. I seriously doubt we would get any break by signing someone 27.

22SteveD repped this.
  12. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. I think the rule is there is a certain amount for players under 20 and then maybe a little less for players between 21 and 23.

13. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it doesnt exactly have to do with the mls rules and more to do with something involving a dividend from SUM, I cant go into too many details cause, quite frankly, dont really understand it. But what buff said, as i understand, is accurate

14. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, two different DP strategies; fill seats (Beckham/Henry) or win games (guy in Houston who's name I can't remember, guy in Columbus who's name I can't remember). This one would seem to be the win games DP... which is fine with me. I still wonder, however, if he's truly worth DP money.

15. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bengston and Higuaín, fwiw.

No offense to Buffbollocks, who I'm sure isn't just making stuff up-- but does this rumor have a veneer of authenticity to anyone? I know that Chris Bianchi has repeatedly said that the DP thing is still a possibility, so who knows? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

16. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shelton is boss lol bring it. just wish it was march already so we knew what exact team we have.

17. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it has some serious legs... its the one rumor that hasnt gone away...

18. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    SUM sold a significant minority stake in the company to a private equity firm to the tune of about $100m, that money, not all of it mind you but a portion, is being used by the league to backstop the DP "matching" plan. the owners voted AGAINST a dividend into their own pockets from SUM, because let's be honest $100m split 15 or whatever ways isn't meaningful to those guys, and they recognize the value in having every club have the ability to go out and get a DP. something to think about the next time we are quick to badmouth Uncle Stan.

the key to signing a DP for the Rapids MIGHT be a shirt sponsor, although my source seemed to believe that it might not be essential because of the generally positive developments in other areas of business operations (increased sponsorship, increased ticket sales, development and build out of the Summit Club....etc). As of last week, Shelton was still the primary target.

19. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Also, Calderon is projected to be a starter at LCB, and the LB job is Wallace's to lose. Wynne/Mullan battling it out at RB. We were in on a defender from Crystal Palace, (30 year old Irish guy, name escapes me and I'm too lazy to look), but they matched our offer and agreed to bump him up significantly if they are promoted.

Jeff was traded, largely, because he didn't fit the system and flat out REFUSED to play any part in mentoring Shane O'Neill or working to help El Patron acclimate when he got here.

20. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thi
    i think you might be my source on this hahaha

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damien Delaney I assume? Look yet another signing the Rapids were CLOSE to making. :rolleyes:

This is unpossible, given the high regard many fans seem to have for the 2010 team...

22. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Fair play, but with a limited cap (he's NOT a DP level player), what can you do if a top-level Championship team splashes the cash? Did sign Rivero, Thomas and Harbottle (foreign)....

Think the second point is borne out in the classy, yet veiled comments from Hinch about "players who want to be here"...it's not just wanting to be here, but a full buy-in to what the club is trying to become (building from the academy and draft, adding pieces where appropriate)

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but there's only so many times you can here about the big player a team ALMOST signs before it becomes a running joke, and we're long past that point with the Rapids.

Yeah, well, you just don't understand that the real problem is what Hinchey and Bravo are building, not the players attitude. Or something like that. ;)

24. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shelton has been with Karabukspor (Turkish Superlig) since 2011. He has 8 goals in 32 starts fo this club; his form this season is 10 appearences (6 starts) and 3 goals. Previous stints in the Norwegian and Danish Leagues as well as Sheffield United in the UK. He has 42 appearances (37 starts) for the Jamacian National team with 16 goals.
    http://www.soccerway.com/players/luton-shelton/8801/

25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm not one to bash Kroenke reflexively and I certainly don't see the club's failure to shell out for a DP an automatic demerit. However, I'm not sure how this is in his favor. "Guess what, we might get a DP because other MLS owners are willing to subsidize it!"