Positives Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Kraft Out, Dec 7, 2012.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all money that was paid out during 2012, so I'm assuming that would already be included in the $2.2M payroll figure.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm wondering why those figures are so much different than these:

Here is the ranked order of team payrolls according to the May 2012 figures released late last week:

Team
    Total team payroll (guaranteed compensation)
    $12.96 million
    $12.63 million
    $8.25 million
    $4.37 million
    $4.19 million
    $4.16 million
    $3.98 million
    Philadelphia Union
    $3.62 million
    $3.52 million
    $3.45 million
    $3.43 million
    $3.33 million
    $3.26 million
    $3.23 million
    Chivas USA
    $3.23 million
    $3.21 million
    $3.12 million
    $3.03 million
    $3.00 million

He pretty quietly had a much improved year. His 1v1 defending was outstanding - I'd say about as good as anyone in the league (Rusty Pierce-like!). He mostly avoided the hamstrings that have plagued him most of his pro career (credit to Downing?) and played even better when moved over to the left (forced him to be more focused?).

I still feel that with small improvements, his runs forward could get a lot more productive, but he still has major problems covering on crosses to the back post.
    Wow, so all I have to do is restrain myself to prove you wrong? :laugh:
    How easily that is forgotten ...
    We didn't waive Joseph and we didn't waive Boggs (or if we did, it was at his request) - so that money shouldn't be included.

And, the positive view is that we stopped carrying players who didn't have a future here (still wondering about forgotten man, Nyassi, though).

3. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't a math major, but I don't think 44/2=15.

(That said, good figures here, with the caveats people have added since.)

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not included in the 2.3M payroll. Can't be because $2.3M was our payroll at the end of the season (clarification: according to MLS PU numbers). Our cap hit was the payroll at the end of the season plus the $600k or so that we spent on players that were cut minus whatever allocation money we used to pay down salaries (somewhere in the 2.6 to 2.8 million range).

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was originally 44K *.333 = 15 :D I wasn't sure how long he was here.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right, but if the author is comparing points earned during the season to money spent, it would make more sense to use money spent during the season as opposed to salaries on the year-end roster. What about the money they added mid-season with Bengston, Imbongo and Toja?

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about it? It's included in the $2.3 million. Go on the MLSPU website. The numbers at the end of the year add up to just shy of $2.3 million.

That's exactly why the whole metric is flawed. Other teams numbers are significantly higher because they didn't cut nearly as much salary in the summer. Toronto was the only other team in the same galaxy when it came to cutting salary, and their salary expenditure is huge because of their multiple expensive DPs on guaranteed contracts.

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    For a little more than 5% of the budget, that isn't a lot. And you say "we can do better" but who for that price?

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But can you find a replacement space cadet with the worst first touch in MLS? Someone who can lose his mark that consistently? KA was even an "All Star" one year. We have traditions to uphold.

Sorry, positives thread, forgot. Optimistic the Andrew Farrell selection with turn out better than Leandro de Oliveira.

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Alston looses his mark very often.

Everytime I've seen him "loose his mark" the defense has been left out to dry by the midfield. Often times one of the CMs didn't track their runner and Alston was put in a situation where he had two guys to cover. Our defensive woes were 50% midfield based last year.

bwidell repped this.
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You pro-rated the salaries of the players that left mid-season, but you didn't pro-rate the salaries of the players that joined mid-season.

I agree they dumped more salary than anyone else, but to be $600K below the 2nd lowest team and still claim they were up against the salary cap is farcical.

12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if we had 2.3 million on the books at the end of the season, and we used $644k on players we cut, that's $2.94M. KC wasted $83K on cut players and had $2.89K on the books at the end of the season. So they used $2.97 million.

So we were the lowest spending team in the eastern conference by about $30,000, not $600,000.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think Alston's worst attribute is his passing out of the back. But I think he got a lot better playing at LB late last year.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the brainfarts that happen almost every game. Losing his mark, passing to the other team. It happens a lot.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, as I've already pointed out twice, it's not $600K, because you haven't subtracted the pro-rated salaries of the 3 players that signed mid-season.

But whatever the amount, it's still lowest in the league.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not in the 2012 MLS roster rules. Do you have a source?

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think Alston's worst attribute is defending balls in the air. I actually think his passing improved a lot last year.

firstshirt repped this.
  18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you are just being contrarian. You think that Bengston, Imbongo and Toja got paid for a full season even though they signed midyear? NO! Their salaries were pro-rated to the number of games they were with the team. So, for 2012, they got paid less than the number in the MLSPA report.

19. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the number in the MLSPA report was their 2012 salary.

20. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't list prorated salaries in the MLSPA reports. Example:

Edgaras Yankauskas: Signed July 1, 2009
    As of Sept. 15, 2009: $240,000​
    As of Aug. 12, 2010: $240,00​

MLSPA numbers ≠ Cap hits

NFLPatriot repped this.
  21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So KC used $2.97 million. Subtract the partial salaries from mid season acquisitions ($114K total) and you get $2.86M cap hit.

New England by my initial calculations used $2.94M. Subtract $140K in partial salaries then add the $50K I forgot to add of Bengtsons cap hit (his cap his was $175K, $50K larger than his salary this year) and New England's estimated cap his was $2.85M.

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed....his positioning is not the best on crosses and gets caught ball watching a lot

23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, although I think this is a problem with the back 6 on the whole. I don't know if it is a tactical issue, or if it is just the sum of individual issues in marking, but they are all often caught running around like they don't know who to mark.

I think Alston looked better this year, because he had better outlets to pass to. I think Alston is a solid player. He has some weaknesses in his game for sure, but he is good enough when he is not exposed by other players inabilities. You can easily see the difference between him and a player like Tierney, because Tierney still makes the same poor passes, no matter who he plays with.

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough already. All this number crunching makes my head hurt :eek:

25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    leave it to LDD to derail a positives thread with mundane nonsense.