Portugal World Cup 2014 General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 19, 2013.

1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    No, thankfully there are people like Ronaldo, Mourinho, Pinto da Costa, etc. who know how to maneuver. I knew as soon as we extended Scolari's contract after beating Holland in the semis we were doomed. "Oh hey, you got us as far as we ever did. We're happy enough already. Here's your present"

2. BENFICATUGA

BENFICATUGA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yep, i have to agree on that one. That game vs. Greece was a pain in the heart. Talk about disappointment... We'll see how we do in the WC. Hopefully we will get far :)

3. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why should I bother answering a rude troll? As far as I'm concerned someone who comes in like he did deserves nothing but scorn.

4. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's your choice but as far as i observed, everyone criticizes the guy but there was just one single person who had something worth to write as an answer. The others only made silly comments without proving a point here :p

5. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't take a dump in my house and expect me to filter through the crap. You're free to rummage if you want, but don't for a second think you are on higher ground.

Paposeco repped this.
  6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Dear Mr. Clueless beyond belief.
    You use FIFA rankings to prove a point? That's a what we call a "red flag" to alert that someone really gullible is about to post. But it is one of the funniest things I read in a while. To Benficagal for thinking this guy used any credible proof that Netherlands has done anything these past 2 years please get a clue. Talking about friendlies and qualifiers while we have Euro 2012 a year and a half removed further cementing Netherlands for what they really are (A team that can beat minnows and teams who are known to be outside of the true top 10 in the world. And the classic naming of players who are either past it or nobody's.

Here's a tip: If one of your players plays for Celtic...that's not something to brag about.
    Also, our Bruma kills your Bruma.

Portugal would love to play you at the WC and you can puff up your chest all you want and say you would love for our two teams to meet so you can FINALLY get that second win. But the reality is you, your players and your nation do not want to get no where near Portugal on any competitive level and suffer another one of WC 2002, Euro 2004, WC 2006, Euro 2012.

But Bravo on not beating Colombia.... Most ridiculous Dutch troll yet.

P.S. I edited your post so that it can stay up. You want to debate Portugal's whipping boys no problem, you want to use slurs know two things
    1. I can destroy you any day of the week and twice on Sunday
    2. Just because I can doesn't mean I will sink to your level, so the next time you spout off you are done here.

Paposeco repped this.
  7. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Still no valid argument xD Whatever man :p sorry if i'm being annoying. i liked how he stood up for his team, we Portuguese should do the same for ours (without being a dick about it)

8. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Benficagal? ahah seriously? xD

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You must be new to these forums. If we go into the Dutch board there will be bans on posting for "sticking up for ones team" when said sticking up uses petty name calling and a touch of racism.
    Our Portugal posters are taking offence to the fact that after signing up and reading the TOS he used two defamatory remarks sandwiching his unbelievably weak points about Netherlands. So you talking about a valid argument makes no sense when the Dutch basically threw away any chance of making a Valid argument in his first sentence.

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    what ever your name is.

11. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All use the excuse that he was rude to make all of his comment invalid, but not many seem to talk about the real point he made. Whatever, i see i won't be able to change your mind anyway. Have a nice day :)

12. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jesus hahaha you need to take it easy buddy xD

13. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    His comments were invalid because they are weak points across the board. The insults that you apparently don't mind, yet funny enough will complain about everyone else who does in return, is just the notification for those of us who've been here more then a minute that what's coming up is going to be a waste of time. And it was. Very painful to try to make sense of. I think you got impressed with a long post and didn't bother reading what he wrote to be honest.

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Whoa calm down! put the gun away, I'm only packing sarcasm here.

Newbs:whistling:

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Back on topic:

Should we play Luxembourg in a friendly? It's rhetorical because you know we are at some point.

I'm just wondering if we should.

As the last game before the Tourney it makes sense to just go out for a run but in any other circumstance it would be a bit of a waste. Although playing a more competitive team may lead to injuries.

16. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's a bit ridiculous that we only have 1 friendly left. No time to let the younger players bed in...

17. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You keep making the mistake of assuming trolls have to be answered to. Rule #2 of internet forumming: Do not feed the troll.

18. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He didn't seem like a troll to me. I've seen many trolls, it's not the same thing. But meh no big deal either :)

19. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That makes two of us :D

20. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I did read it and he said true stuff. If he had wrote a comment without the insults you wouldn't say all of his comment was crap. Everyone was overreacting here, it's an internet forum. No need to take insults to heart.

21. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal always perform better when their backs are against the wall. What are you talking about?

The only tournament that we were favourites was in 2004, but hey, it's football and shit happens. We went to the final and played Greece which played the type of football that is the worst possible fit for us. I really don't think there is any general mental weakness. In the last tournaments we lost to the winners, in 2006 we went to the semi-finals... I think some perspective is needed.

There is one tournament which was a disgrace, and that was 2002. I'll give you that.

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    #122 Chess_Panther, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    BENFICATUGA, learn how to edit your posts you weak troll.

I am having the WC fever so I decided to give it a go in FM 2014. In my first try I was able to get Portugal to the WC title. May this be the shape of things to come. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course this is just a game (and I made some very convenient decisions on eligibility) but it was an exciting ride. Some fun stuff happened throughout like Brazil losing to France and Mexico in the group stages, Germany losing to Greece and Spain losing in the QFs against Belgium in PKs.

Oh, and C. Ronaldo scored a hattrick in the final! :D

23. BENFICATUGA

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What are you even talking about? I'm no troll

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #124 GoodDead, Nov 23, 2013
    Clearly you don't know me. When someone posts nonsense and tries to pass it off as facts I generally jump to point out what a load of crap it is.
    If it was about insults I could of just deleted the whole thing. I edited his insults to keep his post up for the same reason people put up pinatas.
    Here's whats True: Netherlands always does well in qualifiers (unless we are in their group) then generally tanks in the actual Tournament when they have to play an actual contender. When it counts they fail but every tournament build up they get treated like Germany while we get treated like Mexico. I'm not complaining about the fact Portugal is underrated I'm complaining that the people on these boards are generally that clueless.

We have more then 10 years of a pattern to look at. Let's ask ourselves:
    Did Netherlands get better or are their main players older and starting to drop form?
    Answer: No and Yes
    So in the minds of alleged followers of the game that equals:
    Netherlands will do very well.

Then I laugh, then I prepare my "I told you so's" for after the WC.
    Repeat in 2016.

25. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #125 Bengoechea, Nov 23, 2013
    I actually like our status this way. The only time we were favorites, 2002 we f*cked up.

Just remember international media and football fans around the world.

In 2004 we would be destroyed by that "magic" english team and later by the dutch, not happened, we became favorites and lost to Greece, man how i hope we got the Czechs instead.

2006- we would be in second place to Mexico, get Argentina or the Dutch and got out in round of 16. Reached semi-finals to lost to Zinedine Zidane. The fans managed to took out the prize of the best youngster of the World Cup, which cleary was Ronaldo to give to Valencia!!! or Podolski!!!! (who managed to win).

2008- Portugal?? not the same of 2 years ago, we would be beaten by Turkey and the Czechs. We only got defeated by the Swiss when didn't matter, and lost to Germany, not to mention that clearly foul that Ballack made in Ferreira when was 2-1 and we were playing better

2010- Portugal would not qualify in a group with Denmark and Sweden, Portugal? Bosnia has Dzeko will be eliminated in play-offs. Oh ok, they got to the Group of Death, but Brazil and Ivory Coast will crush them (none of them did, and we could have very well beaten Brazil, the game against the ivorians both sides played the same level). We got out by Spain in the most despicable game I've ever ever seen we play (and i follow the team since 1994 when we used to never qualify for nothing).

2012- Oh shit Group of death, Portugal will be last, we managed to get to semi-finals at the brink of eliminate Spain.

I can already see, 2014 a medium group, Portugal…oh perhaps they will be eliminated in first round, they only have Ronaldo.

I just Love being the underdog, its the way Portuguese are, we play better in this condition…it is historical for us as a small country, when relegated and diminished we play our heart out.
    Well we beat and army of Galicians and French outnumbered in 5/1.

BENFICATUGA, GoodDead and BatatasFritas repped this.