PBP: Portugal vs Netherlands: June 17 - Metalist Stadium [R]

Discussion in 'Group B - Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal' started by JaredSS07, Jun 15, 2012.

1. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal are always crap in qualifiers. We're still a long way from being as favourite as Spain or Germany, but if we can beat the Czechs we're two games away from it so then I can start dreaming.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The key is to get into the knockout round. Then anything can happen. Good luck, you deserve your place in the next round. I like your chances and today's match has to be a huge confidence boost to Ronaldo. He got the monkey off his back as they say.

Laaura, Chess_Panther and palynka repped this.
  3. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're assuming Spain will brush past France or England. One of those teams will give Spain a shock, watch this space.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Only one of France or England will be on the same bracket with Spain. I think it'll be England. I don't see Spain having much trouble with them.

5. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When England play defensively, Spain will have a problem breaking them down especially with Torres upfront. If England can take the lead they are capable of shutting the door.

Spain have already been tested by Italy, a team not much better than England and worse than France.

I think Spain will be found out at some point as not as good as the hype, similar to the dutch.

6. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think France is a team to be feared too.

7. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Oh I don't want to meet France, we always lose to them.

8. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No no Italy proved to be quite good. They fought hard against Spain and attacked quite efficiently.
    I also think Spain will destroy England. The only thing they do is defend and pray for a counter attack. Spain is very fast and professional though they will find the spaces!

Italy can't fight Spain until the final....and France most likely neither. But Portugal has to win against Spain to reach the final. And last WC it was the typical spanish 1:0 against them, as always :(
    Hopefully at least more goals this time!

9. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I forgot to post in this forum:
    Kudos to Holland's players for a generally clean game and good sportsmanship. The game was clean (only 3 yellows?!?) and there hugs and handshakes at the end. The rancor of WC 2006 is forgotten. We are 2 tiny nations with outsized passions (and talent) for the game and we should support each other. Glad to see calmer heads prevailed this time.
    As far as the game, there was a stretch of the game between ~min 5 until min 30 which was soccer at its best. We got to see 2 talented attacking sides taking round-house swings at each other. It could have been 3-3 after 20 minutes. Breathtaking stuff - hard to watch for us fans but exhilarating for neutrals (and there were a lot watching). Finally, as disappointing as this exit must be, you guys are stacked with talent. Just need to find the magic combo of those 5-6 star players to unlock the opposition in the next tourney. Even here, the line between glory and failure was razor thin - every game in this group was decided by one goal. Better luck next time.

Laaura, glennaldo_sf and palynka repped this.
  10. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well said, it was nice not to see violence or gamesmanship, hopefully we won't see anything like 2006 ever again between the 2 sides.

Good luck to the Danes and the Dutch for their 2014 qualifying campaigns.

11. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who had been slamming Ronaldo in here previously, let me just publicly say he was outstanding yesterday.

Why the Dutch chose to give him the run of the midfield rather than double-teaming him (like every other team normally does) is a matter beyond my pay-grade--but it certainly made for a more entertaining match.

Well deserved victory.

12. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well it was a fact that he was poor the previous two games. But obviously at some point he should be able to perform if he's meant to be the second best player.

13. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd fancy England's chances against Italy any day.

Spain would not destroy England, England beat them at Wembley defensively and Spain were trying hard. Spain may win, but they will not destroy England.