Popularity and worldwide potential of the NYCFC

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, May 30, 2013.

1. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine from in the city right? upstate east of the hudson and long island are other options.

one thing is for certain its going to be a marathon, not a sprint for a devoted fan base of this club to to grow. while there are a few voices that seem to be feeling it the team doesn't even have so much as a supporters club to build around yet, its gonna have to start from SCRATCH.

Now I'm sticking with the almighty drink (bow down peons!!! ;)) but I hope nobody takes offense if I call this team a prospect rather than a ready product like Orlando is.

Theres gonna be almost nothing but casuals at first, and thats fine and in a way is almost the point of starting the team in the first place, especially given the supposed location they'll be playing at.

whats important is getting the word out through as many means as possible especially the YES network. its gonna be a while before the team becomes any kind of world powerhouse or known product, but the infrastructure laid down should be huge for the future. Good luck to you guys,:thumbsup: and screw you're team when they hit the field.:sneaky:

2. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Of course the fanbase is from scratch... 6 months ago there wasn´t even a name attached to the rumour.
    Starting from square one is the true organic way, something that many soccer hipsters don´t want to hear..:sneaky:

3. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I think the only way this team isnt a rabid success from day one is if there are enough people that are turned off by the ManCity/Yankees ownership and branding. There are enough soccer crazed supporters hanging out in pubs and fields every saturday morning that are begging for top flight soccer in NYC to fill any stadium in NYC 5 times over. Again, just a question of will the fans buy into the ownership group.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  4. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I tend to agree with you, as for branding etc we haven´t really seen anything yet though..

5. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom line is if this team performs well and is competitive then fans will show up. Of course branding plays a role, but it's the product on the field that will make the most difference with building a long term fan base.

If the results are mediocre then the attendance will be mediocre.

6. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Over 20k on facebook and over 35k on twitter and the debut is away beyond 15 months !!!

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pfft. OKC Energy FC of USL Pro just were announced last week and they have numbers approaching that.

It means nothing.

antnee7898 repped this.
  8. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of USL pro, has there been any speculation on who will be NYCFC's affiliate? I'd assume the long term goal is to have their own, but everyone in MLS is supposed to have an affiliate team in USL by 2015. And trying to get two teams up and running in 16 months seems like a tall order.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are quite a few needing affiliations:

Announced:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Houston Dynamo
    Orlando City - Will have their own affiliate by 2015, rumor is some of their existing ownership will setup a team somewhere else, maybe in Louisville, KY

Previously:
    Richmond Kickers - Affiliated in 2013 with DC United
    Harrisburg City Islanders - Affiliated in 2013 with Philly
    Phoenix FC Wolves - RSL loaned players in 2013
    Rochester Rhinos - Affiliated in 2013 with New England

Unknowns:
    Sacramento Republic FC - rumored to be Portland's affiliate
    Los Angeles Blues
    Dayton Dutch Lions
    Wilmington Hammerheads
    Charleston Battery
    Charlotte Eagles
    OKC Energy FC

whill4 repped this.
  10. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd laugh my ass off if FCNY came back...

They CAN just field a third division development team of their own right? thats what the red bulls are doing I think.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laugh or cry, they were pretty sad.

It would seem to match the profile of NYCFC, Yankees and ManCity for them to create their own USL Pro club and control the whole system.

Could be called NYC2. ;)

12. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Odd how teams pick their USLPro partner..Some want them close, others as far away as possible it seems.
    But we don´t have a single player, and now we are supposed to set up another team as well :confused:

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well back to whill4's point, the League has mandated that all MLS teams affiliate with a USL Pro, either an existing one or their own, by 2015. So in theory, MLS expects NYCFC to field 2 teams by 2016. Its possible that MLS might let NYC slide a year, but Orlando City SC has already gone on the record that they will have their own USL affiliate by 2015 (to replace themselves) and since they are coming in the same year, you would think NYC would want to match them. Also, NYC has some pretty big backers, it would seem rather odd for them to skimp on what would be financially, small change for them.

14. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course one shouldn't forget there is a minor league team with a lot of history already set up and operating out there on Long Island.
    [​IMG]
    I was referring to the Rough Riders you bunch of wise guys you. :ROFLMAO:

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I respect the RR (who are now in PDL & would have to be upgraded back up for this), I find it very hard to believe that NYC would affiliate with anyone but themselves.

16. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could/would MLS teams buy out usl teams. Usl owners probably wouldn't sell though

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could sell, but the path that USL has laid out is either a MLS affiliates with existing clubs or creates their own fresh one.

18. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  19. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But will NYC be able to set up a second team in such a short period of time? It isn't just about finding players or a coach. It's also figuring out where they'll play, where they'll train, and setting up a separate management to run it.

It's too bad the Rhinos are already with New England. They'd be perfect as they would be a good way for NYCFC to market to the rest of NY.

20. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I took a look at the USLPro teams available but Charlotte and Dayton are already connected to outside organisations in some ways it seems.. Wilmington, L.A Blues and Battery left

Nah, I think NYCFC will set up their own outfit, in Hartford/New Haven perhaps if there´s nothing suitable closer to home.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rhinos had a loan agreement with NE Revs for 2013, nothing set in stone for what happens in 2014, 2015 etc.

For example, TFC Reserves played Pittsburgh Riverhounds in USL matches only for Pitt to affiliate with Houston for 2014.

22. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    For Soccer? Likely the entire state. Jersey will be RB fans. NY Cosmos...hmmm...long island?

In football, Binghamton to Albany to NY forms a little triangle of Giants country in the state. Long island is Jets country and the rest of the state belongs to Buffalo.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who lives in Binghamton when it comes to the NFL, Buffalo and the Giants are equally split here. Jets fans are far and few, there are more Steelers fans around here than Jets fans.

24. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Over 30k on NYCFC facebook page !!!