Popularity and worldwide potential of the NYCFC

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, May 30, 2013.

1. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    Nope, I'm serious.

Manchester is a quaint town. New York is an Empire.

In fact I think in about 15 years, you'll see some sort of Concacaf (MLS)/UEFA Champions League.

Why? More $$$ to be made.

2. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With NYCFC coming, what will NYRB have to do differently?
    I don't follow the local NYRB scene, but they have some positives- great stadium (been there) , DP's, but still short on fans and any success at winning some hardware. With the cap, and 3 DP limit, some things will be equal, so what will NYCFC do different to over take NYRB in the market place ?

3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC will be the best marketing thing for NYRB. The problem is very simple. Very few people in the NYC area know that MLS exists, similarly for NYRB. The media here doesn't care two cents about soccer, MLS or NYRB. NYCFC will change that because of its association with the most visible team in NYC, the NY Yankees. And as ticket prices for MLB, NFL and NBA have gone through the roof mainly because of player salaries, MLS will be positioned as a nice budget-value family entertainment alternative.

As for losing fans from NYC-- I can only speak for myself, I will double down and also get a ST for the new team. I will still support NYRB as my primary, at least until they win a couple of MLS Cups. ;)

whill4 repped this.
  4. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Today over 30k followers on twitter.

5. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BlueIntent repped this.
  6. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wow!.. Droga5 are as hot as you can be when we talk media campaigns, and no doubt charge accordingly :eek:
    Puma, Heineken, Coca-Cola etc use Droga5
    These NYCFC $50m media account whispers might be more than just a stupid rumour perhaps :whistling:

7. icedup57

icedup57 Member

Aug 21, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  8. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what she said! [​IMG]

;):ROFLMAO:

9. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The coming media blitz is getting planned... Just get started will you lads ;)

NEW YORK: Major League Soccer expansion franchise New York City FC has brought on Edelman and research and analytics subsidiary Edelman Berland to support the team's launch for the 2015 season.
    The club is working with Edelman to engage fans across New York City's five boroughs, support community efforts, and create buzz for team's debut..

http://www.nycisblue.com/2013/11/prweek.html

10. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    We might say that the first ad campaign have started now.. :cool:
    Slowly slowly the wheels are starting to turn.

http://www.nycfc.com/

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, now we know they will have a first game and some tickets will be free. ;)

12. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Yeah, only questions is, ad campaign for who? The further along this project gets the more and more its looking like, as the detractors have called it, a Man City Lite. What what does this add say to those NYC residents that are fans of other EPL teams.? "We don't want/need you" IMO

Paul Berry repped this.
  13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just stealthily announced their first three DP signings.

14. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    As I recall it the detractors said that NYCFC was a "marketing tool" for MCFC... But it looks like it´s the other way around somehow :D
    That video was done this very summer as part of a new kit launch and I suspect just added for the NY flavour to this campaign.

15. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free tickets??? That just blew the top off somebody's head.......<cough>WSW<cough>

16. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what ways? There has barely been any news released about this club since it has been announced. Just because there is an ad with City players in it means nothing. There are zero players signed nor even a crest yet. So it's a little hard for NYCFC to market itself on its own at this point.

If in 16 months we are still seeing Aguero in ads for this team then we can start to worry.

BlueIntent and Flex Buffchest repped this.
  17. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Looking forward to having some players..or even a coach :D

18. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Never too early to start worrying, but do you follow their Twitter feed? I understand there is going to be some synergy between the two clubs, but the twitter feed and the email sign up on the NYCFC.com website may as well be a MCFC clone. emails about MCFC and tweets about Aguero & Co. I just think, while its early, its creating some resentment among the NYC soccer community. Is this our team/our City, or not? Are there any NYers (born and raised non-ManCity fans) that are feeling the same way? I think if you want this team to succeed you cant be blind to this.

19. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If you mean the #NYCFC hashtag it´s drowned by people signing up for the competition since yesterday.. As for the NYCFC supporter group on twitter there´s Man City fans there of course but also fans of Real Madrid, Man Utd and Arsenal I noticed.
    The NY Soccer "community" are all positive on Twitter apart from some NYRB fans and half a dozen Cosmos fans spitting feathers as usual.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  20. icedup57

icedup57 Member

Aug 21, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    New Yorker whose been a diehard Spurs supporter for the past 8 years. Also a diehard Mets fan for my 25 years on this Earth. Neither allegiance bothers me. The fact is NYCFC is not competing with either team in any competition (except maybe the Club World Cup, but we'll cross that bridge of we get there). It doesn't bother me. There is no team right now, so why not promote it with the large group of known stars on Man City until players start to sign. If we have a team and they're still using Aguero, Milner, Kompany, etc. , then I'll start worrying.

whill4, fuzzx and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  21. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm NYC born and raised and didn't start following Manchester City until last May. Perhaps because I consider myself a typical American sports fan (and not the wannabee poseur ultra types you see on this board) I don't find the affiliation between NYCFC and city to be the crime against humanity some jackasses want to make it out to be. As for Cosmos fans? They're irrelevant.

22. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I follow the twitter feed religiously and you are 100% correct that most is positive, but i'd also say that 9/10 of the positive tweets seem to be from non-NYC residents. I see a ton of people signing up for free tickets to the MCFC-SPurs game from England and signing up for the free t-shirts and first NYCFC home game tickets. I just checked the feed and from what i can tell most of the action is from UK, CO, NJ, MI, 1 from Indonesia, 2 small news agencies (1 brooklyn, 1 france). I do see the same handful of NYCFC supporters arguing with NYRB or NYcosmos people, but honestly i would have hoped to see more buzz from native NYers. Just dont see it. Check the Orlando CIty feed or the rumored MIA bid. Seems like a lot of people tweeting from Florida. This has to stem from something and the only thing i can think of is 1.) like you said they havent started marketing and nobody in NYC knows about it yet, or 2.) people know about it and have a sour taste or just dont care.

23. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I hope you'all are right.

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be interesting to see where NYCFC's twitter followers are from.

25. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You don´t line up Droga5 and Edelman unless you have something spectacular in mind.. :sneaky:
    Let us wait a second and see what happens when we actually have something, anything..to be exited about