Pompey v. Sunderland

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Pompey86, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Pompey86

Pompey86 Member

Jul 23, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hello, I'm new to this board, and was looking for some advice. I'm coming from America to see this match, just looking for some advice on what to do during the day in Portsmouth, and some good pubs to go to after the match.

Thanks!

PUP

2. andybart

andybart New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    canada.
    Gunwharf with the Spinnaker tower and a lot of other stuff would very worth while,its at the mouth of the harbour and on a nice day is outstanding.
    The Historic Dockyard with the old ships is very close to there and if your into that sort of stuff Portsmouth is full of it, Southsea castle which was Henry the eighths castle is on the seafront. Portchester Castle a Roman fort with a norman church is just outside the city at the top of the harbour mouth.

www.portsmouth-guide.co.uk

could be a helpful site.

Now pubs is a different thing all depends on what your looking for and how you are travelling into the city.Close to Fratton park will be a "little lively" pubs around there like Smiffys, Newcombe Arms,Connaught Arms,The Milton,Travellers Joy,The Good Companion, Fawcett Inn.
    The city centre around the Town hall has many pubs but can get a bit rowdy.
    You may be better off going back down to Gunwharf as there are 20 0dd pubs and restaurants there and it is a lot safer.

3. Pompey86

Pompey86 Member

Jul 23, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Cool! Thank you very much! I'm actually staying at the Express by Holiday Inn at the Gunwharf, so sounds like I picked the right spot!

4. andybart

andybart New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    canada.
    Glad to have helped.
    A couple of things too if your travelling down to Portsmouth by train you need to stay on the train until Portsmouth harbour station which is as far as it goes anyway so you cannot go past it,and it is right next door to Gunwharf.
    If you knew the city you could wander up to Fratton park in about 30 mins but it will be easier to get a cab.Also I don't know if you know but Fratton park Ain't no beauty and the old girl is showing her age but it is a special little old place and you will love it.
    Let us know how you get on and anything else you need to know or any questions I will try to help.

5. Pompey86

Pompey86 Member

Jul 23, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thank you again.

I've never been to Portsmouth or Fratton Park, so I'm pretty excited. I thought of putting of the trip til next season, but everytime I watch a home match, I just wanna be there so bad.