Politics Board Book, TV or Movie Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Politics Board Book Recommendation Thread

I am currently re-reading Che: A Revolutionary Life, by John Lee Anderson, which is the definitive Ernesto Guevara biography in English. It is QUITE thorough and it does a good job of unravelling truth from myth.

Also, Im reading a bit of George Hegel, but most of his stuff is going right over my head to be frank. He still has some interesting ideas, though.

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Code Names: Deciphering U.S. Military Plans, Programs, and Operations in the 9/11 World, by William Arkin.

It identifies 3,000 once-secret code names and details the plans and missions they stand for.

"perhaps the most concentrated act of defiance of official secrecy policies since Howard Morland wrote about the H Bomb Secret in the Progressive in 1979." - Steven Aftergood

Arkin is the author of 10 other books and is a columnist with the Los Angeles Times, military analyst and former Army intelligence officer...

3. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Showdown at Gucci Gulch by Alan Murray and Jeffrey Birnbaum

First read it in high school for a US government/political relations class. It's about the tax reform of 1986 and what steps it went through to get passed.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

John Adams by David McCullough
    I'm currently on CD 16 of the 26 disk unabridged version, and it's taking over my life. An hour each day during my commute, and now I've taken to listening in the kitchen while cleaning, feeding the kids, etc. Great stuff. I would imagine libs and cons alike could find it instructive and enjoyable.

New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice
    Winner of the Pulitzer Prize
    Winner of The American Academy of Diplomacy Award
    Winner of the Christopher Award
    Winner of the Revolutionary War Roundtable Prize

5. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural

That's a fantastic book. Reading that makes you appreciate our country's founders even more. All too often they're portrayed as live-action cartoon characters with no flaws. The truth is more inspirational: They achieved astounding things despite their very human foibles.

And you know, I still liked McCullough's Truman better.

6. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural

Two recommendations off the top of my head:

Culture of Complaint by Robert Hughes. Still as relevant today as it was a decade ago.

And an obscure fiction selection:

Dunn's Conundrum, by Stan Lee (I don't think it's the Marvel Comics genius, though). It's a very thought-provoking book from the Cold War with themes that resonate today, particulary in the age of the Patriot Act and ruling neoconservatives. The hero, Walter Coolidge, is a garbagologist -- yes, he figures out clues from garbage -- and works in the super-secret Library, which has an amazing array of video cameras and databases at its disposal giving the Librarians information from who's banging whom to how the Soviets are changing troop deployments.

But there's a leaker known as the Doctor. And Coolidge is charged with tracking down the Doctor. It takes quite a few twists and turns, including our hero finding himself in a tank battle as the world stands on the edge of World War III. I won't give anything else away, but it's really a remarkable book just for the speeches that show up in Senator Garvey's trash.

It really is amazing how much of this book applies to the War on Terror as well as the Cold War.

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

I don't know. Jefferson really is not coming off well, and I'd say his character flaws go beyond "foibles" into hypocrisy, disloyalty, dishonesty, vanity, and worst, poor statemanship.

His failure to admit the turn for the worse in France durign the Reign of Terror is perhaps a foible. But when he and the Republicans fail to understand the obvious truth that America needed a navy in order to negotiate peace with France on even terms from a position of strength (rather than beg and appease as Jeffereson preferred), it seems simply ignorant. I'm going to have to find a good bio of Jefferson next to see the story more from his perspective, since it might just be McCullough's bias.

Franklin also comes off as perhaps a profiteer and a traitor, and at best a puppet of the French foreign minister, but he was old and feeble by this time, so perhaps one can excuse him somewhat.

Washington is oddly distant and doesn't really make much of an impression at all.

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, I wouldn't consider this one a liberal book. I just re-read it yesterday and today with the election behind us. It seems to ring just as true today as it did in 2003.

An easily digestable wih a bunch of good stories is How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer.

9. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

Agreed. Unless a lot of liberal supported the invasion of Iraq and are gung ho about IMF-directed globalization.

10. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

America: The book (i know, i know)

HOw soccer explains the world

The best democracy money can buy

Plato's Republic

Aristotle wrote a book which dealt with what it means to be a citizen among other things, can't recall title....

11. gibby

gibby New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ohio, USA.

Currently reading "Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance" by Barack Obama. Talk about "everyone has a unique story," wow...not finished with it yet, but I can already say it's been worth reading.

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. RedskinComrade

RedskinComrade New Member

Jan 6, 2005

Killing Hope : U.S. Military and CIA Interventions Since World War II by William Blum

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America byBarbara Ehrenreich

One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy by Thomas Frank

What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America by Thomas Frank

Manufacturing Consent : The Political Economy of the Mass Media by Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky

No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs by Naomi Klein

A People's History of the United States : 1492-Present by Howard Zinn

Whiteout: The CIA, Durgs and the Press by Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair

The Best Democracy Money Can Buy by Greg Palast

All The Shah's Men (about the 1953 coup in Iran) and Forbidden Fruit (about the 1952 coup in Guatemala) by Stephen Kinzer

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

The three-volume biography of Leon Trotsky by Isaac Deutscher - The Prophet Armed, Unarmed, Outcast...fascinating stuff

Back In Time, My Life, My Fate, My Epoch by Nadezhda A. Joffe (memoirs)

Also check out books by Noam Chomsky, Eduardo Galeano (wrote the wonderful Soccer In Sun And Shadow), Arundhati Roy, Michael Parenti, and Amy Goodman

And I just read Homeland by Dale Maharidge

13. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rise of the Vulcans: The History of Bush's War Cabinet*
    -- James Mann (senior writer-in-residence at the Center for Strategic and International Studies)

I found it excellent for its objectivity. It reads like a history book, with a minimum of editorializing, and includes extensive footnotes.

*Not recommended for partisans who prefer hearing it all their way or not at all.

14. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn

Lizabeth Cohen, A Consumer's Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption in Postwar America

Very interesting book about how mass consumption became the driving gov't economic philosophy after WWII, how market segmentation has remade space (think the various reputations of different suburbs, malls, and neighborhoods), how people have in turn phrased protest movements through a consumerist language, and the shortcomings of all of the above.

15. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ

I'm currently reading and am enthralled by The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty Through Profits by C. K. Prahalad. Great concept -- looking to eradicate poverty by tapping into the inherent entrepreneurial spirit most folks are born with. Microfinancing has become my cause-du-jour at school, and this book (so far) is a must-read for others similarly inclined.

A fine novel with a political tinge to it is T.C. Boyle's The Tortilla Curtain. It looks at the intersection of the lives of two people, living within a mile of each other, but worlds apart. My fellow SoCal denizens will understand and either shudder, throw down the book in disgust, or take a hard look at everything and everyone around them. For folks not blessed to live here, let me just say that it's quite an accurate description.

16. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn

From the attempts by many on all sides here to divine the intentions and ideas of the founders, I'm going to post a list of the best historical works of the ideological world of the founders (not biographies, but histories of the ideas that influenced them).

There are two main schools, those who believe in the republican synthesis, who believe that the founders were primarily influenced mainly by ideas of classical republicanism as understood by Rousseau, Montesquieu and a series of English pamphleteers (liberty is always in danger, republics are fragile, the reason for government is to protect virtue and to find the common good, the common good exists and is not a creation of political debate) They believed only independent citizens can be trusted with the vote, literally meaning those who are not dependent on others, (servants, debters, renters, children, women, slaves) because independent freeholding citizens were the only people who could be disinterested.

The liberals argue that incipient capitalist and individualist ideas had become dominant by the time of the Constitution (though not, perhaps, by the Revolution) and that the founders increasingly saw the government as necessary to mediate between different interests. They see the ideas of Locke far more to the fore than the Republicans.

Republican synthesis main works:

Bernard Bailyn, The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution

[​IMG]

Gordon Wood, The Creation of the American Republic, 1776-1787

[​IMG]

Liberal critics:

Joyce Appleby, Capitalism and a New Social Order, and

Appleby, Liberalism and Republicanism in the Historical Imagination

[​IMG]

Isaac Kramnick, Republicanism and Bourgeois Radicalism

Attempt to span the gap:

Gordon Wood, The Radicalism of the American Revolution

[​IMG]

One last helpful warning before spouting on the founders' intents. The past is a foreign country, people are different there.

17. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Submitted to "common dreams" last week...

“The Clutch:” Five Books Illuminating America’s Other Twin Towers
    by Mel Brennan

Looking to define “clutch?”

Well, one way is to look at the events of the night of 14 June 1998. In a game many talking heads will forever argue should have been his last, and with his beloved Bulls trailing by one in the closing seconds, Michael Jordan stole the ball from Utah’s Karl Malone, drove on Malone’s team-mate Byron Russell, stopped on a dime…

And did what he always does, pressure or no: he took the shot.
    He hit the shot.
    A game-winning shot.
    A championship-winning shot.

Clutch: doing, when it’s hard, that which you do when it’s easy.

Be it Jordan, or Mia Hamm, or Emmitt Smith, or Serena Williams or Reggie Jackson, we embrace fully the concept of “coming through in the clutch,” of being everything you’ve claimed to be when it’s hardest to do, in our conception of American sport. In fact, we judge our sport leadership and participants by that clutch standard.

In what way does the U.S. citizen, the U.S. government exemplify such “clutchness" off the court, in the daily drumbeat of life and living, our current opportunities for global leadership?

One look at “The Torture Papers: The Road to Abu Ghraib,” by Karen J. Greenberg, Joshua L. Dratel and Anthony Lewis begins to let us know.

Michael Ratner, of the Center for Constitutional Rights, says the work “…may well be the most important and damning set of documents exposing U.S. government lawlessness ever published,” and I may agree. I certainly agree with Brig. Gen. James Cullen when he submits that “The memos and other material collected in this book reveal how political lawyers in the Administration adopted an ‘ends justify the means’ policy, and tailored their advice to justify torture and avoidance of obligations under the Geneva Conventions.” For citizen-accountable governments like the U.S., the torture papers represents some bastardization or perversion of that process by both abidcation of best practice and endorsement of something else.

Certainly not clutch.

We can all observe the employment of Executive “ends justify the means” rationale in the language Bush and Blair use to justify the invasion of Iraq. Both leaders have submitted a number of times along of the lines of Well, reasonable people may disagree as to how we got into Iraq, but no one can say that the world isn’t a better place with Saddam Hussein out of power.

Ends, justifying the means.

What Bush and Blair leave unsaid, and what must be said, is that this mode of being in the world is in fact the precise mode of operating employed by individuals and groups who look to wage terror. Innocent civilians die? “Who cares,” or “that’s not important,” terror-mongers might say: “the means serve a greater end.”

We might want to consider the extent to which US/UK foreign policy aligns with terrorist thought/action at any time, but particualrly at a time when we are claiming the opposite perspective in terms of a so-called "clash of civilizations." For the global observer, U.S. employment of "ends justifies the means" thought and action makes it harder, not easier, to distinguish between "civilizations."

Indeed, the more one looks at this way of being in the world, the more one realizes that “ends justifies the means” thinking can only end in terror, because it is predicated upon a "might makes right" mindset; it is only in extreme historical moments like that of 9/11 and its aftermath (extreme for Americans, one of a spectrum of horrors for much of the rest of the world) that this mode of engaging the world is even allowed consideration by rational human beings and societies.

Extremes; extremes in our own citizen-fear allow terror-aligned thinking to manifest as well. We have lost, in horror, the Twin Towers of our New York skyline and the souls who inhabited them at the moments of their fall; yet another set of Towers remain: the Twin Towers of the Future of America.

One Tower is built, layer upon layer, with different takes on the idea that America can claim notions such as “the greatest democracy in the world,” and “the hope for freedom of millions,” while reflecting diametrically opposed truths such as those disclosed in the memos of “Torture Papers.” It is a Tower built of words promoting the Idea of America while simultaneously undertaking the oft-horrific acts encompassing America-style globalization found in John Perkins’ “Confessions of an Economic Hitman."

In “Confessions,” Perkins describes in detail thirty-five years of American business and government collusion to facilitate the work of, as Perkins puts it, “highly paid professionals who cheat countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars.”

This Tower is built upon a tragicomically faltering foundation of hypocrisy, one perfectly described by a comic - George Carlin - as “...the old Americans double standard of 'say one thing, do something different'...”; an America less interested in promoting ideals and the rule of law than promoting a system of wealth inequality only bested in the developing world by Mexico (and one that, wage/inflation-wise, has forced most citizens to make do with less and less since 1973), while settling for an infant mortality rate double that of Sweden and higher than Slovenia.

That’s one Tower; one layered, built-upon conception of ourselves and of America.

That Tower contests right now with another, wholly different one: an America in self-conception and in local-to-global action found in works like Howard Zinn’s “A People's History of the United States : 1492-Present," where, through giving a voice to voices outside the First Tower's conception of American self (and subsequent mainstream media shaping of who and what is historically important), Zinn allows a totally different America, one that’s always been there and always been crucial, to come into our awareness.

This Second Tower is built on knowing that the Constitution, the very foundation of America, was one damn unique document for its time, maybe for all time, even if it left out an equitable fulfilment of rights and an affirmation of humanity to anyone who failed to be a landed white, heterosexual male, yet it left many rights, for many people, specifically uncodified and generally unconfirmed .

It’s a Tower laden with sensibilities that differentiate between our set of decision-rules (Constituting a democratic republic) and our chosen economic system (capitalism), and, like Michael Albert, see an America beyond such choice. In his work “PARECON: Life After Capitalism," Albert offers up an America promoting ideals and values such as “… equity, solidarity, diversity, and participatory self management” as a way of life for Americans, and not just as campaign-ad rhetoric. To fulfill the promise of those values PARECON describes new institutions that will facilitate, among other things, “…remuneration according to effort and sacrifice, and participatory planning.”

It’s a Tower that, like Cornel West in his book “Democracy Matters: Winning the Fight Against Imperialism," finds space beyond the dogma of Christianity, Judaism and Islam to embrace progressive, prophetic voices on all sides of the spirituality debate, and demands wholesale rejection of “ends justifies means” fundamentalism, on all sides.

Indeed, these works help us see that the central thrust of this Second Tower is of an America in the becoming, with law and love and sacrifice as the forms of agency through which America gives itself the best chance to become that which we claim it to be, at home and throughout the world.

Engaging the Ideas of this Second Tower of American-ness means acknowledging that the Great Experiment remains to be completed; that its completion is a process of possibility.

A commitment to this Tower of American self-conception means coming to see that the extension of the Constitutional franchise - again, a document not specifically intended to encompass those different in gender, race and class fro the Founders - comes from everyday people getting in the streets and becoming willing to stand fast and sacrifice everything they are for the truth that the Constitution, that America, could and should represent everyone, especially when it’s hard to do.

It comes from “stepping up in the clutch,” for the nation, and for the world, in hope and expectation that a land which always celebrates and usuallly embraces the rule of law would eventually codify such sacrifice in laws extending rights and affirming humanity, for everyone.

From the Abolitionists, to the labor and child labor movements, to the suffrage movement, to the political rights and civil rights and Indian rights and women’s rights movements to the gay/lesbian rights movement: none of these are naturally provided for in either the letter or the interpretation of the Founding Document of the American nation. Rather, the Idea behind such movements was that with the Constitution as a basis, if we stood fast, stood courageous, in the streets for those rights and in the courtroom (and the jail, and in the morgue) for that change in the law, we would have a nation in practice like the one in the American Dream.

Thus, we stood, generationally, in each historical moment, in the clutch.
    We took the shot.
    And we made the shot.
    Maybe not a game-winning shot, but the shot that keeps us in the game.

That’s what that Scond Tower is about. And it contends, everyday, with that first Tower, for the soul and substance of America.

The events of 9/11 reach out to this generation, to each American, as we contribute to the building and affirming of one Tower or the other, and each Tower rings back a substantively different response to those, or any, attacks.

One says “yes, ends do justify the means,” and keeps us duct-taped, terror-alerted and afraid while telling us that just being afraid is enough to justify anything to make us safe and make us win, whatever “safe” ends up meaning, whatever cost is incurred in the "winning."

That Tower asks us to turn our backs on what we’ve claimed to be, in the light of a New Era in violence and destruction, and submits that in fact the only way TO survive on this New Earth is to become a New America. To, in the most important of moments, avoid taking the shot altogether. To take our ball and run home, and let our betters take whatever shot deemed necessary for us, while we watch, glued, then return to the court with a different ball and say "the game had changed."

The Second Tower says that it’s only in moments when we are afraid, only when the right thing is difficult to do, that we can claim what we are. That our Ideals, like friendship, suffer no test when everything is hunky-dory, but rather when everything is going wrong. It’s then, and only then, that we discover that for which we are willing to stand.

In the clutch.

Mel Brennan is the American author (along with Grant Jarvie and Tony Hwang) of “Sport, Revolution and the Beijing Olympics." Mel both teaches sports studies and examines human rights in Olympic cities in the pursuit of a PhD in Sports Studies at the University of Stirling, Scotland, UK.

18. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

The 9/11 Commission Report: Omissions And Distortions
    by David Ray Griffin

...We all remember, as young children, scary locations that created deep fears. We might imagine monsters in the closet, dangers in a nighttime backyard, and creepy people in some abandoned house down the street. As we get older we build up the courage to open the closet, or walk out into the backyard to smell the night air. As adults there are still dark closets in our socio-cultural consciousness that make it impossible to even consider the possibility of the truthfulness of certain ideas. These fearful ideas might be described as threshold concepts in that they may be on the borders of discoverability, yet we deny even the potentiality of implied veracity - something is so evil it is completely unimaginable.

A threshold concept facing Americans is the possibility that the 9/11 Commission Report was on many levels a cover-up for the failure of the US government to prevent the tragedy. Deeper past the threshold is the idea that the report failed to address sources of external assistance to the terrorists. Investigations into this area might have lead to a conclusion that elements of various governments - including our own - not only knew about the attacks in advance, but also may have helped facilitate their implementation. The idea that someone in the Government of the United States contributed support to such a horrific attack is inconceivable to many. It is a threshold concept that is so frightening that it brings up a state of mind akin to complete unbelievability.

Philosophy/Religion professor David Ray Griffin has recently published his findings on the omissions and distortions of the 9/11 Commission report. Griffin's book brings into question the completeness and authenticity of the 9/11 Commission's work. Griffin questions why extensive advanced warnings from several countries were not acted upon by the administration, how a major institutional investor knew to buy put-options on American and United Airlines before the attack, and why photos of the Pentagon immediately after the attack show damage inconsistent with a crash of a 757 airliner.

Additionally, Griffin notes questions remain on why the 9/11 Commission failed to address the reports that $100,000 was wired to Mohamed Atta from Saeed Sheikh, an agent for Pakistan's Inter-Service Intelligence (ISI), under the direction of the head of ISI General Mahmud Ahmed. General Ahmed resigned his position less than one month later. The Times of India reported that Indian intelligence had given US officials evidence of the money transfer ordered by Ahmad and he was dismissed after the "US authorities sought his removal."

Also, the 9/11 Commission report failed to address the reasons for the collapse of World Trade Center (WTC) building 7 more than six hours after the attack. WTC-7 was a 47-story steel frame building that had only small fires on a few floors. WTC buildings 5 & 6 had much larger fires and did not collapse. This has led a number of critics to speculate that WTC 7 was a planned demolition.

Overall concerns with the official version of 9/11 have been published and discussed by scholars and writers around the world including: Jim Mars, Nafeez Ahmed, Michael Ruppert, Cynthia McKinney, Barrie Zwicker, Webster Tarpley, Michel Chossudovsky and many others. The response to most has been to label these discussions as conspiracy theories unworthy of media coverage or further review. Pursuit of a critical analysis of these questions is undermined by the psychological barrier about 9/11 issues as threshold concepts - too awful to even consider.

We may be on the borders of discovery regarding the possibility of a great evil within our own government, and perhaps others outside as well. We must step past the threshold and have the courage to ask the questions, demand answers, and support research into all aspects of this American tragedy. Perhaps the closet isn't as dark and as fearful as we envision. If we don't courageously look and search into the deepest regions of our fears how can we assure our children and ourselves a safe and honest future..?

19. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

The Great Unraveling by Paul Krugman.

Series of op-ed pieces, discussing today's issues and how they lead to the, you guessed it, Great Unraveling.

20. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
  21. RedskinComrade

RedskinComrade New Member

Jan 6, 2005

Add to my list:
    ∙ An Anthropologist On Mars by Oliver Sacks
    ∙ The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond
    ∙ Darwin's Dangerous Idea by Daniel Dennett
    ∙ On Consciousness by Daniel Dennett

22. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003

If your list of 'intrests' includes decrying the rabid absurdity of the war and occupation in Iraq, or thumping your bush/cheney '04 t-shirt garbed chest while reciting the pledge of allegiance (in your spare time) I'd suggest reading Evan Wright's "Generation Kill: Devil Dogs, Iceman, Captain America, and the New Face of American War."

It should sober you up pretty well, regardless of your viewpoint.

but you don't have to take my word for it...

23. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Throughout history, tug-of-war dialogues of 'us and them' have permeated the human condition. Many of the problems that humanity has faced in the past, and is facing in the present, are manifestations of these tug-of-war dialogues. Racism, war, genocide, religious fundamentalism, and a wide range of other seemingly insurmountable social strifes, can be attributed to such definitions regarding who 'we' are, and who 'they' are.

There are dilemmas that are facing us, as we speak, that will only intensify with each passing year. Global warming is now upon us. Yet we, in the first world, continue pumping excessive quantities of smoke by-product into the atmosphere due to our habits of over consumption. Or consider the populations in the second and third worlds exploding like never before. Poverty is a factor in these increases, as any economics major will attest to. And since we live in a world in which 30% of the world's population holds 95% of the world's wealth, it is logical to hypothesize that the power to prevent such population expansion is within our hands. Statistically speaking, we are being faced with a 50% population increase less than 50 years away, from 6 billion people to 9 billion individuals. Can we even begin to fathom the burden of a population of 9 billion? Is that the legacy that we are choosing to leave behind?

The author of Transcend has spent the better half of the last decade, traveling extensively through Europe, Asia, Australia, and the Continental United States. As destination led to destination, and exposures began to accumulate, questions arose, of namely: What is it that separates us? What is it that binds each and every one of us together? What perspective is necessary so as to carry on one's life in full consideration of the welfare of the whole as well as for the individual self? And it was within this mode of intrepid travel where answers abounded.

Similar in format to Victor Frankle's, 'Man's Search For Meaning,' Transcend is broken into two parts. Part One is a non-fictional account of a handful of experiences; each anecdote culminating into a revelation of sorts. This first section is an engaging read, and has received much positive feedback from editorial reviewers, fellow authors, and readers alike. It's a travel log in which the journey is utilized as a vehicle for an underlying social message. In addition, this first section has all the punch, kick, and color that a good road book should have. Part Two then switches gears, as page after page unfolds into a five-and-dime philosphical hypothesis for achieving global cooperation, and ultimate peace. It's a salespitch that argues for the embracing of our human similarites, as well as our ultimate mortality, as a means toward brighter horizons. Would we continue to suppress, marginalize, exploit, and harm one another, if this is ultimately the only chance at life that each of us has? Maybe ending the perpetual struggles and strifes that we impose on one another is as simple as living in the here and now.... just that.

Transcend is a bombardment of the senses, as it is a glorification of the free spirit; a tribute to the persona that chooses by his or her own volition, to witness the world with his or her own eyes, before making any judgments as to what the world consists of...

"A book like Transcend could not have come at a more suitable point in time. As the country is withdrawing from true interaction from the rest of the world, the U.S. dearly needs to take note of messages such as Joseph's"

Carool Kersten - Rambles Cultural Arts Magazine

"A thought provoking portrayal of our capacities as individuals in ending the unfortunate inhumanity prevalent in the world today."

Clea Mcdougall - Ascent Magazine

"Transcend brings us face to face with ourselves, and forces us to reconsider our own feelings and values. It moves us out of our complacency and causes us to consider the effect of man's inhumanity on us all. The use of a travel motif makes this book readable, enjoyable and at the same time challenging. It draws us in and as we get hooked by the story, important issues are brought up about the world we live in, and ourselves. The philosophical musings are given within the context of the storyline, and hence Joseph is able to communicate a message where many others have failed. Transcend is a fascinating journey into our own quest for meaning."

Living Traditions Magazine

"One man's portrait of the world... as it is, as it was, and as it should be. To leave off with a thought from the book that is exceptional: 'Seeing, feeling, touching, experiencing first hand is to understand.' Great Job!"

Cynthia Godin - Book Review Cafe

"Full of insight, uncanny in its timeliness, this poignant work is extraordinary."

Maria Rodriguez - The New York Open Center

"Richard Joseph is the working man's Herman Hesse."

Ray Sikorski - Author of Driftwood Dan

"Transcend is an underground gem; well worth reading for all Americans."

Paul Lappen - Dead Trees Review

"Challenging and enlightening. An optimistic vision of what the world could be, if we opened our eyes... to each other."

Max Lindegger - Global Ecovillage Network

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I'm currently reading The Politically Incorrect History of America.
    Very interesting bits of information.

25. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

To everyone I recommend books by Will Durant that will help you gain some valuable perspective on stuff :)

Might as well start with
    The Lessons of History