Politics Board Book, TV or Movie Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. SMASHmoloch

SMASHmoloch New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Re: Politics Board Book Recommendation Thread

To clarify, i'm not sure if Brzezinski worked at the AEI, but he did work closely with Wolfowitz et al (who later did). Also, there's some minor disagreements on how to proceed, but the geostrategic world view is much the same.

2. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Brzezinski definitely disagrees with the neo con men.

http://www.prospect.org/webfeatures/2003/10/brzezinski-z-10-31.html

3. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Cousins Wars by Kevin Phillips

Not military history chronicle but political analysis. You won't find a bit of who hit whose left flank with cavalry in this book. Goes through the demographics of who fought on which side of the English Civil War, the American Revolution, and the American Civil War, explains how all three were overwhelmingly civil wars, explains how basically the same folks fought on the same sides in all three wars, the same side won and the same side lost all three times, and then (too briefly) explains how all that impacts contemporary American politics.

4. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

repped

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights

[​IMG]

Got it for Christmas, about a third of the way through it now, great read.

Oh yeah, and this one:

[​IMG]

Not just the parts that have been spoon-fed to us by the mainstream media.

(I haven't had a chance to read the entire 9/11 report yet myself, but I've read enough of it to know that the parts that are widely reported are not representative samples).

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights

OK, that first one is supposed to be "American Soldier" by Tommy Franks. I'm on my mom's old-ass computer using AOL, which is having trouble linking pictures from Amazon for some reason, so I'm resorting to looking for pictures on Yahoo, which apparently isn't working.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  9. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bought it just now, thanks. It will probably help me in examining the second part of my thesis, which critically analyses the decision-making behind the IOC's willful abdication of human rights language and concerns in its bid candidature documents (at least those leading to the 21st century Olympiads).

10. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Its really not a politics book, but rather a book that rags on political 'pundits'..anyway..

Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken is great.

11. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"The Constitution of The United States of America" by Gouvernor Morris and friends

12. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

Howard Zinn's "People's History" provides a very interesting perspective.

13. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Disclaimer:
    Most people only read political books that help validate their own knee jerk, emotional, partisan opinions. Just see InTheNet's list. And honestly, I'm not very different. I don't want to wast my time reading the tripe of psycho conservatives. However, while I like to read books by moderates and liberals, I don't need to have my opinions validated, and often get bored by reading someone's work who merely agrees with me.

But FWIW, I have actually read, or at least skimmed, books by conservatives (being the moderate lib I am). I read Dixie Lee Ray's "Environmental Overkill", at the request of a psycho conservative I worked with at the time. I read it with an open mind and found it to be goggligook (so many statements and assumptions easily disproved). BTW, that conservative co-worker never read anything I gave him - mind closed shut .... slam!!!

Anyway, here's my list:

"Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them - A Fair and Balanced View of the Right" - Al Franken
    - very, very funny, and very well researched, and very pognient. Sure to tick off any right wing wacko with the truth. And unlike anything by Ann Coulter, this book actually has real facts that are thoroughly backed up. It even has a section lambasting Ann Coulter and disproving any of her "facts", and exposing her for the true nut job she is.

"America - The Book" - John Stewart and the writers from the Daily Show
    Absolutely Hilarious satire on American politics and democracy. Dems, Repubs, the media, the founding fathers, the ancient Greeks, none are not left unscathed.

"1984" - George Orwell
    Everyone should read this book, and see it's premonitions becoming true today with the Bush administration.

14. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal

Animal Farm is a classic of human behaviour that explains so much, so simply. It fits both sides of the political spectrum at some point or the other.

15. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BTW - I still think everyone should see Farenheit 9/11 (or read the companion book). Sure, Michael Moore is out there, and sure, conservatives hate him. Nevertheless, not a single fact in that movie has been refuted. The opinions and conclusions Moore comes to have been debated, but none of the facts have been refuted. The movie is a real eye opener, in terms of the kind of money being funneled to the Bushies from the Bin Ladens, and exposing the Bushies profit motives.

16. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

Nobody like the Bush administration but emm that's a bit over the top :D

17. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal

I agree. Go see F911.

Then buy and read the ENTIRE 911 Commission Report (something Michael Moore should have done before he released the movie) and if you really want to get a full background, watch FarenHYPE 911.

18. arsenal

arsenal New Member

Dec 22, 2000
    southern illinois

Men Amongst The Ruins - Julius Evola
    Plain Truth - James Chalmers
    Decline of the West - Oswald Spengler
    Various Writings online by Francis Parker Yockey
    Reflections on the Revolution in France - Edmund Burke
    Natural Right and History - Leo Strauss
    many writings online on Third Positionism

19. arsenal

arsenal New Member

Dec 22, 2000
    southern illinois

A great way to waste your time, you might as well read a Sean Hannity book.

20. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.studentsfororwell.org/

21. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True Lies: The GNN book

[​IMG]
    Can't trust it

By Anthony Lappé and Stephen Marshall
    with additional reporting from Ian Inaba

Dangerous journalism for perilous times

“Inflammatory.” – Joe Hagan, The Observer (New York)

“Must read.” – Marc Maron, host, Morning Sedition, Air America Radio

“An extensive contribution to ongoing critiques of the media…[Their] presentation, which allows most of the stories to speak for themselves without heightened language, does manage to lead by example.” – Publishers Weekly

“Stephen Marshall and Anthony Lappé are among a dying breed of journalists who still believe that journalism is about giving a voice to the voiceless and holding people in positions of power accountable for their actions.” – Metro, Silicon Valley’s weekly newspaper

”[A] good example of alternative media at its mischievous best.” – Now (Toronto)

Our media sucks. But you already knew that.

In True Lies, the writers at GNN don’t offer up another cranky complaint about media and politics. They hit the road, investigating some of the biggest stories the corporate media is ignoring. True Lies traces these digital Don Quixotes’ travels around the globe, from the frontlines in Iraq to small town America. Along the way, you’ll meet heroes and geniuses, the paranoid and the plain perplexed about what’s happening in the real America behind the headlines.

From the poisoning of our own soldiers, to the turning over of our democratic process to shady corporations, to the unanswered questions of 9/11, the authors examine what has become a cultural phenomenon of mass denial. As an Oxford historian explains to them, “Life is lubricated by lies.” This may be the tagline for our times.

In True Lies, GNN:

- Conducts our own radiation tests in the battlefields of Iraq
    - Finds out the real deal behind the electronic voting scandal
    - Uncovers the shocking history of the military’s Anthrax vaccine
    - Chronicles the dramatic fall and rise of Cynthia McKinney, the nation’s most controversial former congressperson

And more…

22. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Read it for free, as it should be, here.

23. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Since all I do for a living is read political books, here are some recommendations to any liberals on the boards. You'll notice pretty fast by my choices that I'm liberal, and that I'm recommending books dealing primarily with American society/politics. Glancing through this thread I noticed conservative literature was pretty well represented.

1. John Micklethwait, Adrian Wooldridge, The Right Nation: Conservative Power in America (they write for the economist)

2. Stephen Flynn, America the Vulnerable: How Our Government Is Failing to Protect Us from Terrorism (council on foreign relations)

3. Thomas Frank, What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America

4. David Brock, The Republican Noise Machine

5. Michael Scheurer, Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror

6. Craig Unger, House of Bush, House of Saud: The Secret Relationship Between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties

7. John Judis/Ruy Teixiera, The Emerging Democratic Majority

8. Eric Alterman, What Liberal Media?

9. Fahreed Zakaria, The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy at Home and Abroad

10. Paul Krugman, The Great Unraveling

11. Peter Singer, One World: The Ethics of Globalization

12. Joseph Stiglitz, Globalization and its Discontents

13. Barbara Ehrenreich - Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America

14. Dan Benjamin/Steve Simon, The Age of Sacred Terror

15. Richard Bernstein, Out of the Blue: A Narrative of September 11, 2001 (not political per se but good)

16. Barry Glassner, The Culture of Fear

17. Romeo Dallaire, Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda

18. Samantha Power, "A Problem from Hell" : America and the Age of Genocide

19. John Miller, Michael Stone, The Cell: Inside the 9/11 Plot, And Why the FBI and CIA Failed to Stop It

20. Benjamin Barber, Jihad vs. McWorld: How Globalism and Tribalism Are Reshaping the World (far better than Huntington's Clash of Civilizations)

25. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps polemical but necessary:

Robert Jensen's Citizens of the Empire: The Struggle to Claim Our Humanity;

and Hardt and Negri's much anticipated follow up to Empire:

Multitude: War and Democracy in the Age of Empire

With Empire, Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri established themselves as visionary theoreticians of the new global order. They presented a profound new vision of a world in which the old system of nation-states has surrendered much of its hegemony to a supranational, multidimensional network of power they call empire. Empire penetrates into more aspects of life over more of the world than any traditional empire before it, and it cannot be beheaded for it is multinoded. The network is the empire and the empire is the network.