Police officer kicks and trips students after soccer game

Discussion in 'Referee' started by AremRed, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
  2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Never a referee around when you need one ...

OMGFigo and Sport Billy repped this.
  3. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Setting aside the obvious "not funny" nature of this in the bigger picture:

Wait for it, wait for it...

But he was going for the ball!

Law5, OMGFigo and dadman repped this.
  4. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Were the kicks and trips careless?

What about the attempts to kick and trip?

OMGFigo repped this.
  5. Yale

Yale Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, I think the fair thing would be to award the aggrieved party a free kick against the officer.

A direct free kick, if you acquire my drift.

OMGFigo, Justin Z and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  6. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously a supporter of the losing team.

OMGFigo repped this.
  7. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    Ah yes, the ole "internal review" hoohah. Officer will never see a word of discipline let alone punishment and/or better training. Ranks will circle, all that.

It did look like potential VC-send off (end of vid with the shove, slap and arm across opponent's shoulder) might had been applicable. ;-)

8. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I doubt this one goes away, I bet he loses his job. On video, an on duty officer (well in uniform at least) assaults multiple youths, kicking, tripping and pushing. At least one of those parents will bring forward a law suit, heck if the officer was on duty for the event via the school, loop in the school system as well for good measure.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...olice-officer-filmed-pushing-tripping-/nfd25/

Georgetown Police Department has placed Officer George Bermudez on paid administrative leave after video surfaced this weekend showing him tripping and pushing students who were rushing onto a field after a soccer game.
    Bermudez’s actions were not appropriate measures for a crowd control situation, said agency spokesman Roland Waits. He said the matter has been referred to the internal affairs unit of the Georgetown Police Department.
    Bermudez was chosen as an outstanding police officer for the Georgetown Police Department last year, Waits said. He said Bermudez has been with the department since 2005 as a school resource officer at Georgetown High School, where the soccer game was held Saturday.
    Bermudez has no history of reprimands or disciplinary action, Waits said.

10. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Georgetown has been the site of the state soccer championship for awhile (at least 10 years). Neither team in that game was from Georgetown. The losing team wasn't from the area.

I don't know if there is bad blood between Georgetown and the winning team (Vandegrift). They weren't in the same district. A report said that an announcement was made that spectators should not enter the field, but God only knows what the officer was thinking.

11. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    After deciding to reprimand him, the Georgetown police conferred with 4th official Jorge Gonzalez and decided that his pushing and kicking did not meet the standard of reckless, therefore his disciplinary history will remain clean. ;)

12. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Police chief is pissed about this. Officer in question was the 2013 officer of the year.

Don't security person usually try to get pitch invaders (like streakers) to the ground so they can cuff them? Perhaps his reasoning/training was along similar lines and the sheer volume of people overwhelmed him. Note this is not to say I think his actions appropriate but that was my first thought seeing the clip.

13. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    What's the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

14. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The way these things usually work is that the department announces disciplinary action in the media and then the union files a grievance, which an arbitrator decides is justified and the officer gets back pay and his record is expunged. The arbitrator's decision is reported in one column inch on page 7 and not in broadcast media.

15. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For we have all moved on to the next shiny object by that time...

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Squirrel!! ....

uniqueconstraint repped this.
  17. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What does this have to do with officiating a game?

When I was a kid cops could beat up kids :) they are not my favorite people. Some of them are too stupid to know how to get paid off by the bad guys. This must be one of them.

18. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? Good question.

We give some leeway on off-top threads here but this one has sort of gone off the rails with some comments that have needed to edited/deleted. People have had their fun and the video is there to be seen. Thread closed.