Playoffs Game 2: Seattle at Salt Lake, 8:00 MST, Thu. 8 November 2012

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Nov 4, 2012.

1. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before you say it is a stupid tradition (I do the same every year), let's add some qualifiers to your statement. Did your simulation meet the following criteria:
    1) Game used was FIFA 13 or FIFA 12 with most current roster
    2) Was game played against a friend, or against a reasonable difficulty AI (no, rookie doesn't count here)?
    3) Were goal celebrations performed after each goal (this means you had to physically celebrate)?

If at least two of the criteria were met, I'd say it's an authentic tradition and simulation. Heck, if ESPN is doing it, I don't see why you can't.

FC-Sky11 repped this.
  2. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha

Well, the wife thinks it's stupid, so thats why I called it that

1) it was FIFA 12 (but I've made the roster as current as possible)
    2) It was on the hardest difficulty (thats the only way I play, as it gets old scoring like 10 goals a game on easy)
    3) Goal celebrations were performed, though I did receive some interesting looks and comments from my wife (let's face it, she basically thinks i'm an idiot anyways)
    4) Being scored against also caused some obscenities to be uttered, and possibly a remote being thrown... especially on seattle's second goal.
    5) did I say my wife thinks i'm and idiot
    6) the funny thing about this (georg, and a few others will appreciate) is that after Sabo scored a brace, he basically disappeared from the match...

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 goal in 360+ minutes of soccer between the 2 teams this year and you have them suddenly getting 5 in 90?

Also, when you say "I play on hard because it's too easy on any other level" I just want to say ******** you. Sorry. My FIFA skills are not what they used to be (05-08 I was beast) and on the new versions (12 and 13) I'm like the 6 year old little brother. I slide at anything that moves and score as much as a single Romney after defeat... hello political/religious jab!

BalanceUT, FC-Sky11 and HeBeGB repped this.
  4. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows? Maybe both teams will come out gunning to avoid the pks..God knows, that's what the masses want.
    And all the rich mormons I went to school with got all kinds of nookie...

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all nookie and no cookie makes Tag a dull boy

6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the 3-2 is what the score on pk's will be. :p

7. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it comes to PK's. a goal will be scored before that happens.

8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. The game will tell me, "You seem to be winning a lot. Maybe you should move up a level of difficulty." The next game on the harder difficulty I will get smoked. I think FIFA is trolling me.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the NYRB/DCU game being moved to Thursday night, I have to think NBCSN will telecast that game instead of ours.

10. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eastern conference match will go first, we will go second, remember the time zones.

RSLer repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll go after.
    The issue(s) will be if that games goes over on time (starts late, goes into extra time, has a Marquez moment, etc) then our game could be possibly delayed.

I'll have a new 2-stick and flag for this game. So damn excited.
    Bring your streamers, folks. make it rain

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    saw this tweeted by RSL:
    it was a friendly vs some no name national team wasn't it? was it fiji? i just can't remember the name, i can see the game in my head. i don't think anybody has responded, i don't have twitter. pretty sure it was fiji though.

edit: just remembered we actually played a competitive match with the orange ball as well, want to say it was an open cup match when we were in rice-eccles. i remember we scored a ton of goals as well, it was something like 4-0 or 5-0 which was weird because we weren't scoring a lot that year and the snowy RES field made the ball SUPER slick.

double edit: ya, we did play a reserve game against the fiji national team in the snow that had the orange ball, this one probably doesn't count:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/judgedredd76/464855045/in/photostream/

what probably does count is that we played san jose in an open cup match in 2008, again at RES, that started snowing and the orange ball came out. i don't know how i forgot the specifics of this game, it was the game we busted out the green jerseys for!
    http://rslcup.blogspot.com/2011/05/by-james-edwards-desnews.html

someone with twitter should reply to the RSL tweet and win the tickets. oh and you owe me a beer if you win.

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it was against San Jose in the USOC. Wasn't it a double header? San Jose first, then Fiji? Snow started towards the end of the SJ game, and continued through Fiji. It was in April, and I remember moving from Section N22 at the end of one game, and over to the west side for the Fiji game. The snow was swirling through the stadium due to the wind. It was crazy, but way fun!

15 to 32 repped this.
  14. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston result helps us if we and they get to the cup.

15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were actually separate matches, but both were in April. RSL reserves vs Fiji was April 2007, RSL vs San Jose in the open cup was April 2008.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how you could have attended that SJ game in the snow and not remember it.
    • Green Jerseys
    • Huge stoppage for a SJ guy busting his face (nose?) pretty bad
    • Orange ball
    • froze balls... and the ones on the pitch too
    • etc

17. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wrong. The double header was a USOC game against KC, and then Fiji following the game. So there's another team we played against in the snow: KC Wizards.

http://www.sltrib.com/realsaltlake/ci_5164743

18. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Comcast,
    I love you. Please don't shut off my cable tomorrow.

thanks, Me

19. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the date is wrong in the thread title. scared the **** outta me too.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated, thanks.

And I played FIFA 12 too, RSL won 12-0. But that was on amateur mode. ;)

Are Espindola and Olave good to go Thursday night? I imagine Rimando is.

FC-Sky11 repped this.
  21. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody remember who the two players who collided were? I know that collision ended the playing career of one of them but I can't remember who it was.

I remember there was barely anyone at that game and the stadium was very quiet. I was standing on the field about even with where that collision happened and I can still hear the cracking sound of those guys heads hitting - horrible sound. Then I remember the guy who got the worst of it rolling over and I could see the step where his orbital bone was no longer flush with the rest of his face...second-worst injury I've seen at an RSL game (after Javi's ankle).

22. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garth was on ESPN700 yesterday, and he said both Espy and Olave are still game time decisions. They both got in a full training session, so the probability of them playing is likely.

15 to 32 repped this.
  23. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually i don't believe the snow started until the fiji game. i actually graduated college about 2 weeks after this and i remember my parents telling me about it when they came up for graduation. they stayed for the fiji game and then when it started snowing they left.

annnyywwaayyyss, can't wait for tonight. super nervous. we REALLY need Espy to play, he has a motor up top that nobody else on this team can replicate. plus he gets in the opposing teams heads and just causes general chaos that forces defenders to forget about Sabo for brief moments, that's when Sabo is at his best.

24. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Hope y'all don't mind if I post a few photos I took from the famous Orange Ball match!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who is the guy between Mantilla and Seitz?
    IBIK, if I remember right, it was 2 SJ players that collided. And, yeah, it was really really gross.

edit: a little research shows it was Jay Ayres and Ryan Cochrane that collided. Both were subbed, pretty sure it was Ayres that got the worst of it